Is there still a shock update for Viper's?

MUFDVR

I did't know if you can still cash in on the shock update? My guess is that i'm out of luck but figured I would check. I have an 02 Viper and remember a little about the update.

I checked a couple of weeks ago. It is still available. You are better of getting them re-valved by someone. Its less money with a better end result. Thats what I deteremined with my research. I decided that I am going do try and dial mine in with the stock shocks as best as possible.

I,ve had all three versions, stock, revalved, and Yamaha's update on my sled. I'm not a real big guy (160-165#'s), the stock ones were beating the crap out of me. Didn't matter how fast/hard I rode it, or how the suspension was set up.
I had Pioneer Performance revalve all four stock stocks. Front's with progressive valving, rears softer. Big improvement over stock! Handled WAY better, the sled would stay much flatter through the rough stuff. Ride was still a little stiff from the rear skid. My back would get sore on the longer beat up roads.

Shortly after that, Yamaha came out with their up-date package. This set up gave me the best ride with good handling. I probably could have had Bruce revalve the rear stock shocks again and gott'en the same ride as the yamaha update. But the Yamaha deal, was to good to pass up.

How can u go wrong on the update. Buy the shocks. Keep the old ones and sell them on Ebay. Total out of pocket for me was like $50-75 dollars. No brainer.

Yeah why so cheap ? The dealer told me that its going to cost $299 Canadian funds. They said they would cover the labour.

Cost down here in the states was $180-$190 for all four shock/springs and the transfer rod spacers. Cost to revalve all four shocks was around $180-$185 plus shipping, a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I think it was $279.00-$289.00 for all shocks. Then I sold all 4 old ones on Ebay for $200. Total out of pocket was $75-80. That's if you get the old ones back. I bought the new ones, told the dealer I would put them on. Dealer gets to charge Yamaha for the install, yet does not have to perform work. Then I told dealer I would hold them until he called for them. Never did and I sold them.

I just bought the shock package. $199 US. I got to keep my old shocks too. Pioneer performance has the best price on the re-valve. $169 for all 4!

I'm going to try the update shocks - probably sell the stock shocks - and perhaps re-valve the new ones in a few years when they need it.

May have been $189.00-$199

Beeen awhile, not sure, but I know I sold them on Ebay at the time for $200. They only had 400 miles on them though.

I went with the Yami shock update last year. A much improved ride, but was told that I couldn't keep the old shocks. My dealer said he neede to turn them back in, hmmmm.

The dealer is required to hold them for 30 or 90 days, I dont remember which. If Yamaha dosn't call for them back, then the dealer can do what ever they want with them. I asked my dealer if I could keep mine. They said, sure but if Yamaha calls for them, we'll need em back. They never did, so I got to keep them. Sold the rears, but kept the fronts with their progressive valving.

I just want to know were I can get them. Where is pioneer performance?

Well I bit the bullet today and ordered my shock update. I told the dealer I want to hold onto my old shocks. They said I can after a nice chat. They said if they call for them back in 90 days. That I be ready to hand them over. They said they just want to make sure people are putting the updated shocks on the sled and not selling the shocks for what they are really worth.

Last edited:
I just bought a brand new '02 viper this fall and have been researching this subject a lot too. It seems from everybody I've talked to or see posts on - that the updated shocks are a very good ride. I was worried that they seem to soft now after I put them on. Just wait till you see this difference in the suspension travel with the new shocks on. Everybody has told me they will be just fine though.

Here is a link to the very long post I had about this...
http://www.totallyamaha.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2638

MUFDVR:
Maxximum Performance also sells spacers. They suggest replacing both the top and the bottom spacers with the 10mm ones when you switch to their rods. I have the maxx rods and their spacers on mine now. If you want the stock yamaha ones - I'm sure any of the Yamaha performance shops or Yamaha dealers (Ronnies) would be able to get them.

I had to do something. I have a bad back. I don't want to give up the sport. I didn't feel like going to the hassle of taking them off and shipping them across the border and playing the waiting game. I weigh 230lbs. The just found the shocks didn't want to compress. They damping is all wrong. ;):D

Last edited:

Back