Minnesota TY Ride Feb. 2010

thegrizzly1

Previous sleds:
For the proposed MN TY ride originating out of Chisholm Minnesota, (Feb. 5-7 or Feb. 19-21) I have attached a link to find an ELS retailer where you can buy your state trail permit. $16 for a 1 year permit.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/agents.html

For those traveling from the south or east you will more than likely go through the following towns: Duluth, Virginia, or Floodwood (all in St. Louis County). If coming from the west you will more than likely go through Grand Rapids MN (Itasca County) and/or Hibbing (St. Louis County.) If you are visiting from the north you will likely drive through Virginia or Cook (St. Louis County) or come south on Hwy. 73 and drive right by the one ELS in Chisholm (St. Louis County).

If you follow the above link, it will ask you to select your county, and then list the major cities and their ELS agents.

For driving direction information the proposed lodging location is: Chisholm Inn and Suites, 501 Iron Drive, Chisholm, Minnesota, 55719.

Hey grizzly
I'm trying to get some friends without sleds to go with and I was wondering if you know of any cheap rental places up there?

Hey Grizz, I'll be going... let me know if you need any help. I have a cabin on Side Lake, but I might still stay the hotel with everybody else. We'll be at our cabin for President's weekend also.

Last edited:
well being i snapped the crank in my SX, i dont think me and my dad will be their, money is tight, and my sled just sucked the TY ride fund.... dammit.

Is this even going to happend as of right now....?

I was hoping this year we get snow for it...

Nick

Well they got snow when we got rain, I think 10". Supposed to get more before then. I heard the Arrowhead trail was pretty decent before the snow, now the Taconite should be good, but I haven't heard. I'm still planning on going.

How's all coming ?????

I talked to Andy last night and we are going to be there.

Anybody else....?

Nick

Well, I rode from Ely to Buyck on Saturday (170 mi.) and the trails were pretty good. The snow is loose and there are a few spots (corners & hills) where there could be some more snow. The Taconite Trail was well groomed and the little bit of the Arrowhead Trail that we saw looked good.

P.S. If you are ever on the Vermilion River up by Buyce, take the smaller portage trail on the north east side of the river, the view of Table Rock Falls is spectacular, However that trail is not for beginners (90% of the time you're on a hill, 2/3rds of that time you are on the actual hillside leaning toward the river), and there might be some open water to skip... (I'd share a picture or 2, but left my camera at home that day)

Last edited:
trails are usually good on friday and saturday - sometimes on sunday the Tac is beat up - laurentian gets beat up if there is something going on.

details people, details!!! its my dad's birthday the weekend of the 21st, and we are considering sending me and him on this ride as his bday gift, when and where do we meet, what hotel (aprx cost), and how many are going?

I'm in with Andy (sledineinar) not sure who is this set up yet....

Info....?????? Mr. Sled...??????? :rulez:

I'm sure it's all being done at the non smoke side..... :2strokes: :2strokes: :2strokes:

got this from non-smoking side. :2strokes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok everyone, MR. Sled asked for a head count. Here are the members I have counted so far. If I missed anyone or if anyone's plans have changed, please let us know right away.

So far the following members have said they will be there:
deerlodge
Mn Blizzard
mntvipermn
woolyviper and his son
mysledblows and his wife
sleddineinar
Nicko-Wants an XTX
blueironranger
traildale

thegrizzly1 - host
Mr.Sled

I count that at 13.

For anyone coming up Thursday night, I'd be happy to meet you at the hotel lobby to get to know you. Same goes for Friday evening. I can give you some good restaurant suggestions, and we can discuss the planned rides for the weekend.

The trail goes right in front of the host hotel (Chisholm Inn & Suites: 501 Iron Drive, Chisholm, Minnesota, 55719 Phone #218-254-2000). For those new to the area it is right off the main highway and very near McDonalds and the Iron Man statue. (Trust me, you'll know it when you see it!) I plan on mustering in front of the hotel each day or possibly in the lobby. For those of you driving up Friday morning, give me an idea when you think you will get into town. If you are interested in riding Friday afternoon, I'll be sure to swing by the hotel and pick up any riders for the afternoon shift.

Saturday afternoon the plan is to be up on Lake Vermillion to meet Swiss Sledder and his group who will be doing a week long tour starting on Sunday through Canada. I will make sure our trail destination brings us near there in the afternoon. Hopefully we can all have dinner together.

If there are any last minute changes in plans feel free to call my cell# (218-969-5893) I'll do my best to accomodate everyone, but I don't want to have the group waiting around for someone we are expecting but is going to be a no show.

As of last Friday trail conditions were decent to good. We have a pretty decent base and the groomers have been doing a great job with the snow that we have. We could use a little more snow, but we also have 9 more days till the ride. I am usually pretty picky where and what trail conditions I will ride my machine on, and I have no qualms with local riding at this point in the year.

If anyone has any questions at all feel free to PM me or call me at the number listed. I will not have online access from Thursday afternoon till the following Tuesday. (2-12 through 2-16) I'll check PM as soon as I get back. I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of TY members. Lets make this a safe and fun trip for everyone and hopefully this will be a first annual event. Bring your cameras.

not gonna be able to make it this year, we are going to go on a overnight backpack ride closer to home, my dad is an over the road trucker, and he took a load out to NC and wont be back until friday night.......

nicko- maybe first weekend in march we could get a group up here, we have room at the house for 3 to sleep, there are alot of cheap hotels in the area, but yeah if under 3, your welcome to stay with us.

Hey Nick, I just got a moment to write this... I got your message, We had a good weekend. My phone is dead, so I couldn't call you back, so I'll call you tomorrow. We should have some good riding this weekend if we don't spend too much time on the Taconite Trail, by Saturday afternoon it was pretty rough, of course I was riding a worn out 89 SRV, I borrowed from my brother-in-law.

Back