inside of helmet shield freezing....any help?

yamadogg09

Just bought a new HJC everyting was fine till it started snowing then my shield would frost over inside and out, short of an electric shield does anyone have any tips to help me?
:yam:

single or dual lens? singles will fog constantly. hjc makes a real nice breath deflector that fits in the helmet, if yours is not equipped, this makes a huge difference. there is a product i used to use called "cat crap". skiers use it, its an antifog paste. also, leaving the shield open slightly helps.

i had the dealer install the factory option 12V outlet on my 09 Nytro. Im going to hook my heated shield to it

yamadogg09 said:
Just bought a new HJC everyting was fine till it started snowing then my shield would frost over inside and out, short of an electric shield does anyone have any tips to help me?
:yam:

Don't breath:) I finally went to a motocross helmet and goggles. Problem solved. Definitely need a dual lense and some of the fog treatment work. Breath deflector will help. I used to use a no fog which was pretty effective.

Always had problems fogging with any helmet I wore. When its -15F out its no fun to have to crack the shield a little to let it unfog. Then I bought a skidoo modular helmet. Good luck with your HJC.

buy an electric shield.. it's the BEST $$$$ you'll ever spend!!!

I've heard good things about the "Cat Crap" stuff... I didnt have vary good luck with my HJC helmet (modular) with the dual lense, plus I wear glasses and over dress... I went with an electric shield, I love it...

I use an mx helmet with the scott 89xi ls goggles with the polar nose guard attached. I use the arctiva balaclava underneath without any fogging whatsoever.

I have a Vega helmet...it came with a dual shield, and a nose/breath deflector(or whatever you call it!), and it would still fog up a bit. I bought a heated shield for it, and it has never fogged up again.....it is great.

mysledpics3004.jpg

I have an HJC too. If you don't have the dual lens shield, there's not much that will work. With the dual I still wear a no fog. I've been using them for about 20 years and I like them, but like people are saying, a heated visor is the ticket.
Here's a question for the motocross helmet riders; any problems with the visor? I know if my shield is up on my sled helmet, when I get moving it feels like the helmet is gonna get sucked off my head.

have a dual lens g-max modular and have no fogging problems with the lens ,where i have big issues is with my glasses which i basically cant wear because no matter what i try they instantly fog up!

Sideshowrob said:
I have an HJC too. If you don't have the dual lens shield, there's not much that will work. With the dual I still wear a no fog. I've been using them for about 20 years and I like them, but like people are saying, a heated visor is the ticket.
Here's a question for the motocross helmet riders; any problems with the visor? I know if my shield is up on my sled helmet, when I get moving it feels like the helmet is gonna get sucked off my head.

The visor is somewhat vented so it isn't too bad but it'll let you know when the visor is above the plane of the windshield (I have a mid-height W/S).

Someone mentioned not breathing. This isn't as goofy as one would think. I've got into the habit of not breathing when slowing down for a stop and used to crack open my shield when stopped.

I now use an MX style with goggles and breath deflector without issue. I also use a neck tube that I pull up over my eyes/ears when installing my helmet and pull the tube down just below my goggles but leave my nose un-covered.

staggs65 said:
you guys running the mx helmets, how cold are they? on the real cold days can you still run em?

It's all I wear. As long as there are no gaps (i.e. between the goggles and lid) it is as warm as my closed face. I did add a little tape around the area where the goggle meets the face opening to close a gap I couldn't eliminate with just goggle adjustment.

I will say the my field of view isn't quite what it was with my really old open face was, but neither was the closed face.

is there any way we can get power to our eye glasses to prevent fogging.I have a g-max helmet also,dual lens and electric.Visor is good,but as the ride goes longer,my eyeglasses start to freeze up.Lift visor when slowing down helps a bit..but overall the eyeglasses is the issue.I won't even try going to contact lenses.When it is milder out..it is fine.

bluemonster1 said:
is there any way we can get power to our eye glasses to prevent fogging.I have a g-max helmet also,dual lens and electric.Visor is good,but as the ride goes longer,my eyeglasses start to freeze up.Lift visor when slowing down helps a bit..but overall the eyeglasses is the issue.I won't even try going to contact lenses.When it is milder out..it is fine.
Curious as to why you wouldnt go the contact route?I would say for myself it would be putting them in ,but im getting desperate as i hate riding with no glasses as its hard on my eyes.Im seriously concidering the contact route,to bad we couldnt get the lenses ground to a prescription.

Back