23/38 gearing with 68L chain

Concept Carbon

So read a bunch of posts and asked before and everyone said that a 23/38 will not fit with a 68L chain. Well your all wrong :jump: .

well except for Yammerdown Thanks ;)!

Sense its alittle bit tighter its abit harder to line the gear up with the drive shaft just rotate the shaft till it slips on.

Yep, 61 teeth is the best, most efficient chain angle you can run with a 68L chain.

For reference:

57 teeth is the best for a 66 link chain
61 teeth is the best for a 68 link chain
65 teeth is the best for a 70 link chain

Last edited:
Concept Carbon said:
Thanks Valin good post
Yeh, thanks Valin. This fall when I was setting up for mountain riding I put 21/40 's in with a 68 link chain. Then I read that you couldn't use a 68 link with that combo so I thought maybe my chain was stretched bad. Thought I would have to get a new one. Now I don't have to worry.

i am going to put reverse on my viper and it will be a 23/38 combo as well. will this chain still work with reverse kit or will it be too tight????

Here are the pics again. Mods got my last post because I was discouraging a purchase I guess. Check out that bend on the 70l chain!!! That's efficient, lol.

Attachments

• Img_0186.jpg
    Img_0186.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Img_0185.jpg
    Img_0185.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 11
Thumper1 said:
i am going to put reverse on my viper and it will be a 23/38 combo as well. will this chain still work with reverse kit or will it be too tight????
See pics, mine has reverse.

Yamer, why is the oil red in your pics? Maybe a noob question, but the stuff I have been using is all gray and loaded with graphite.

mustangzrule said:
Yamer, why is the oil red in your pics? Maybe a noob question, but the stuff I have been using is all gray and loaded with graphite.

He is running synthetic ATF. I also run it. less drag

Concept Carbon said:
He is running synthetic ATF. I also run it. less drag
No problems with wear? Do you change oil every season? I want to try anything to reduce resistance, but not to the detriment of longevity. I don't like working on sleds, I like riding.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this but this is good info. Thanks.

I would say if anything better wear, I change my oil every season at least. just to make sure everything is honky dorry in side the chaincase. If you do a search there is alot on this.

why wont the 68L work with my 19/42 gearing? 19 + 42 = 61. tried like hell to get it on there, but it was a no go. had to go back to the 20/42 with the 70L and it looks alot like the inefficient picture above. that wasted about an hour of my time. you guys got slack chains?

i tried everthing i could think of and it was not happening. roll, twist, pry, cuss, etc. came up about a 1/2 link short. must have to do with the gear combination, or chain condition. from apperances, it looked as though if i did get it on there, it would have been too tight.

Back