Who's got the most money wrapped up in an old sled?

STEERJOCK

So who on here has a lot of money wrapped up in an old sled?

I would say my little brother has enough in his 93 Exciter to about top this list. Before we got tired of paying a shop for doing our work, thats were all our work was done.

:o| He has a documented over $7000 in his exciter between parts, and mostly shop labor. Downer for him, lol. :o|

Since then I have become a very good mechanic on the sleds and do all my our work and some friends work so that saves us money now. ;)!

Who else has alot of money in their old sleds?

I have got about $6000 in my VIPER.....
Between the hospital bills,Missed work, and to fix my VIPER...
It was a VERY expensive ride...Sitll feel the PAIN...

I HAD a '94 Arctic Cat Jag, didn't know it had a bad piston with scored cylinders. Between a complete rebuild including boring a sleeving the cylinders, recovered seat, bearings, and then a second top end rebuild, I'd say I had close to $3000 into a $900 sled. Needless to say, I traded it for one of my two Yamahas.

It's Scarey

By the time I have added up all the aftermarket parts at Canadian Prices I have more mods than what I paid for the sled NEW . I'm at $9300 +

I picked up an '84 phazer, Bender wide kit, AAEN pipe. Paid $800 for it. By time I was done redoing the entire suspension on it, including track i'm in for about $1200. You don't even realize it till you sit back and add it all up.

I paid $700 for my Vmax two years ago knowing it needed a track. That along with some bearings and such was around $800. I then replaced the skis with AC plastic ones but needed to buy some saddles for them which was $75 at the stealer. This year was another $500 in various parts to get it in good riding shape for the season along with some handlebar hooks, new headlight and stuff. My primary clutch then blew up, $260 for a used one. Saw some GYT pipes for sale, they cost $180 shipped to my door. $20 for some pipe springs. I know my skid is completely shot and will need either a complete rebuild or a swap for something else, this will be $250 anyways if I go for it. My compression is 148psi cold and my blow-by is minimal so I know the motor is ok for now....... I know have to decide if I want to keep it and continue to dump lots of cash into it again next year or sell it and get a lower mileage Redhead (I have a real thing for them). I have about $2500 (conservative)into this sled with 13000km's and I just don't know what to do, sellit or keep it.

i used to have a 94 vmax 600 that was given to me by a family member when i was in high school. i thought i had the greatest sled until i had to have the engiine rebuilt twice plus all the extras i bought for it, plastic skis, skid plate, etc. what a piece of junk sled. i think i put about 4 grand into it and at the time i just had part time jobs after school so all my money went towards that pile.

I have about $4000 and counting in my 99 sx. Kind of scary when you add it all up but I think it's worth it. It's almost the ultimate sled, it will be by next winter.

The most agravating thing for me is the repair costs. Upgrades are one thing, but being forced to spend the money on repairs just sucks. I cheaped out when I bought the sled and now I'm spending far more then I would have if I would have just bought a better sled in the first place.

I agree, you are NOT supposed to think about those numbers, although I am fairly hapy with the numbers from my Viper. $1200 for the sled and $1200 for the used motor. Had a new ripsaw track on it when I got it. So it total, I got my sled up and running for about $2500 total.

LOL, yeah...We decided you gotta look at it in a positive way, I mean, who else around really has a $7000 exciter. :)

well i know on my war i am up to almost $5000.00 in upgrades. now i am getting into repais/upgrades and looks like i will be putting in $1000.00 in track, extrovert drivers and mic other stuff you find with the skid out. good thing for ty as i found a few things used whitch cut down on some of the cost.

Back