90 exciter 570 l/c TRACK extension

dustedwatts

1987 exciter 570 l/c TRACK extension

I have a 1987 exciter 570 l/c... fresh rebuild, engine runs great sled is fun, i want it FUNNER

it has ( i believe) a 133" x 1.5 track,
I would like to put a 144 track on it, anyone done this?
what track was used, what was involved, thanks

has anyone used a big 10 suspension out of a polaris on their yami?

Last edited:

***update***

Measured about a hundred times, looks to me the skid out of the polaris will bolt right in, giving a raise in rear about 8 inches, raise in the middle about 5 inches. My original track is 131x1 1/2, track off of the polaris is 131x1.

currently i have 7 tooth drivers.

What is the largest track i could go with that will make this sled an awesome powder runner? 136, 144 x 2, or 3???? the best track(i know will fit) i have right now is what is on it.

What drivablity issues arrises when raising the rear without raising front also, does the front need to be raised also.

What do i need to look for on the track angle, going from drivers to ground?

justheman80 said:
I am running a 136 on mine and it goes pretty good, for what it is.

If you had available to you a 144 w/2" lug w/ rail extensions would you do it?

what else would have to be changed?

currently (well almost installed) xtra 12 polaris skid(fox shocks), 7 tooth drivers 133x1.5 stock gears, engine .10 over, runs GREAT!, new primary, rebuilt secondary clutch.

A Side note: I have yet installed lift for front shocks, was wondering what effect i would have if i did not? as the sled sits right now, the front 1/3 of the track touches the ground, the rear of the track is about an inch off the ground i am assuming this is BAD?

Attachments

• downsized_0921101231.jpg
    downsized_0921101231.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 27
  • downsized_1005101423.jpg
    downsized_1005101423.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 33
  • yamaha vs polaris skid.jpg
    yamaha vs polaris skid.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 25
oh wow pics went up,
first one is the new skid xtra 12 polaris out of a 96 polaris xlt
second is my sled partially assembled, note the raised track in rear, and the gap between ground.
third is comparison between xtra 12(rear), and original exciter skid(front)

You might be plowin taters if you ride like that.

I would set the front of the sled higher before sitting the skid to the place you want.[flat track]

You could change the pogos to longer v max style

bluewho said:
You might be plowin taters if you ride like that.

I would set the front of the sled higher before sitting the skid to the place you want.[flat track]

You could change the pogos to longer v max style

right on that is exactly where my thoughts were headed thanks,

found a full set of shocks off of mid 90's vmax for 100 bucks is that a good deal? (i am hoping they are the 98 model ones w/ adjustables) will see when i go pick them up.

next is the obvious new seat cover anyone know were i can find one CHEAP? or a pattern to make one?

Shop around parts should be cheap for the old girl you would want to git the hole tower and steering links for that price and find some plastic skis so your not rubbin rust all over thim thar taters!!Check the working log for some real nice expoders.The wood is likly rotted under the seat 2.

bluewho said:
Shop around parts should be cheap for the old girl you would want to git the hole tower and steering links for that price and find some plastic skis so your not rubbin rust all over thim thar taters!!Check the working log for some real nice expoders.The wood is likly rotted under the seat 2.

thanks for the info, I checked ebay, cheapest one i found was only one shock for 75+ship, I will get both sides, from ski to tower cover.
taters are flyin out of the ground right now! LOL
Oh yes plastic skis are in the budget, found a used set for 50, will look at em when i go look at the pogo's (will probably buy them, local shop, might be able to haggle little on the price)

what ya think about a 144x2 under that old thing?

I have the old usi plastic skis on the front of my 90 ex and a 136 2" paddle track ready to go under it but will it fit?????measure the gap between your 7 inch drivers and the front of the exchainger and you tell me?please lol i dont think it will !

bluewho said:
I have the old usi plastic skis on the front of my 90 ex and a 136 2" paddle track ready to go under it but will it fit?????measure the gap between your 7 inch drivers and the front of the exchainger and you tell me?please lol i dont think it will !

not sure, i will check it out and see, i don't think there is that much room either!

mounted the skid in last night, here is a pic.... will either have to lower rear of the skid, or raise front.....what would be the best way to go?
front shocks from vmax to get 2.5 raise in front,
or just lower rear of skid an inch or so?

what is the easiest way to measure how much weight is on the skis, and track? that may determine which route i take to level out the skid.

Attachments

• downsized_1005101423.jpg
    downsized_1005101423.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
bluewho said:

There is 1 inch clearance with my 1 1/2" lug, i think two inch with 7 tooth drivers would fit just fine with 1/2 inch left over I think.... let the pros chime in.

Attachments

• hifax.JPG
    hifax.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Just a my signature says, I am running a 2inch track on 7tooth and 3inch drop brackets for the rear suspension mount. For the riding we have here I would totally drop a 144 in there, if the price was right.

Cool good info on the fit i would still lift the front of the sled from the way it sits in the pic.For deep snow it helps keep you out of the corn husks!!I would try 2 set it up that the front of the sled lifts up when you sit on the seat than you will have lots of transfer when on the flipper.You can set every thing up on the floor if you take your time and put the skis on a sheet of plywood and try the steering when you adjust the rear.

I would drop the rear first before I lifted the front. The rear will start to float on the foot rails (which are really low on these old sleds), it really made a difference on my sled for powder ridin. If you ride trail do what Bluewho said.

Got it! No extra mods, didn't lift front, and didn't drop rear. check this out!
My POLAMA! now i can finish putting the rest back together and fixing the cosmetic issues!

Attachments

• POLAMA.JPG
    POLAMA.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 23
I can get ahold of some stock skis off of a 07 artic cat m1000.... will they fit my sled?

Back