Water temp gauge.......electric or mechanical?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
What would be the best choice for a temp gauge in your guys opinions?I know that I will need a rectifier to use an electric one on my sled but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with both and found one to be better or more consistent than the other.

i have an electrical and i don't need a rectifier. it reads my temp just fine. i have an autometer with a T fitting in between the coolant line. works just fine for me so far.

what is the make of that temp gauge Truckkid42 and what did it cost?Do you perhaps have a pic of it to show us.I would like tp put a temp gauge on my sleds.

yea, this is a rough picture when i first mounted it. I stand up 90% of the time, so angling it up was the only option. I got the gauge off ebay, it was cheaper that way. The Tee fitting i got from Mountain Performance. http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3113&sid=11

supersnake4-1.jpg

I have a Cyberdyne (electrical) temp gauge on my MM, works VERY well. Has an adjustable high temp alarm too.

daytona digital ...or koso .digital i have one of each both are great and very accurate ...

A couple of bucks said:
Was wondering this myself about the digital guages. I was thinking that the digital/LCD part of the guage might have trouble when it gets really cold.

No problems with that so far, I ride in fairly cold conditions.

Truckkid42 said:
i have an electrical and i don't need a rectifier. it reads my temp just fine. i have an autometer with a T fitting in between the coolant line. works just fine for me so far.
So you just wired it up to your existing AC electrical system on the sled without any issues?I was under the impression that it was pretty well mandatory to have to use a rectifier because electric gauges only works on DC voltage.Or do you have electric start on your Viper?

You do not need a rectifier to install a temp. gauge on your sled. The sled has a rectifier and a voltgae regulator already in the electrical system. The CDI box requires DC power for operation. I installed an Autometer electric temp. gauge on my RX-1 adn it works fine. It is good to know when the engine temps are getting warm due to low snow conditions.

rx1jim said:
You do not need a rectifier to install a temp. gauge on your sled. The sled has a rectifier and a voltgae regulator already in the electrical system. The CDI box requires DC power for operation. I installed an Autometer electric temp. gauge on my RX-1 adn it works fine. It is good to know when the engine temps are getting warm due to low snow conditions.
The RX 1 would have DC voltage where it has electric start so a rectifier would not be needed anyway but I will have to check the service manual to double check the electrical system and see where or if my SRX has a rectifier.

nope, wired the power wire to the power wire of the actual gauge, ground to the ground of the headlight. ran the wire for the tee fitting up the hood, and had to ground the tee fitting to the steering post.

I have a couple of brand names I'd like to run by you guys for feedback,VDO and Autometer.If you had to pick one which would you go with?I know both are pretty big names but I figured I'd see what others thought of them.

VDO is more of a car street rod, hot rod style gauge. not great in the cold. i'd go with autometer. they are a provine in tough conditions. trust me.

fourbarrel said:
I have a couple of brand names I'd like to run by you guys for feedback,VDO and Autometer.If you had to pick one which would you go with?I know both are pretty big names but I figured I'd see what others thought of them.

VDO supplies a lot to the auto OEM (more than likely the gauges in your car/truck instrument cluster are VDO).

Both mfgs. produce a quality piece so if I were you I'd go with the one that best suites your style. I personally like an analog gauge.

Not sure about your '98 but my '01 puts out 12v (actually, 13.2) DC.

Mechanical type (capolary tube) are usually faster acting but as someone mentioned limit you regarding gauge location. I had one on my XCR and mounted the gauge above the right footwell because the cap tube wasn't long enough to go to the gauge pod on the hood. I also had one on my 500 years ago which was mounted on the gauge pod and surprisingly opening and closing the hood did not fatigue the tube.

For ease of install I'd go with an electric one... analog.

Yes, the electrical system on your SRX is rectified to DC. Hand warmers all that run on DC

I found a couple of mechanical gauges with long enough leads on them but I think I will be going the electric route.Good to know that dc is available to tap into,thanks guys.

Back