Trail permit costs are beyond crazy!!

rx1jim

My son and I are planning out a few trips for this season. We'd like to ride in NY, where we live, along with trips to NH and Maine. We'd really like to go on a 1 week tour, 1500-2000 mile trip, in Quebec. Here is the cost of the trail permits: NY, resident: $80, NH, non resident: $90, Maine, nonresident; $90, Quebec: $300. Total for 1 sled: $560, total for both sleds: $1120!!!!!

Yes, I know the cost of grooming and trail maintenace is high but there is no way I can afford even $560 for trail permits. We'll only be able to ride NH and ME this year, total cost: $360.

Sure wish the states in the east here has reciprocal trail permit agreements.

People also look at trail prices here in Ontario, and have a big issue with them as well, and with me being a student, I do not know if I can afford to ride this year. I may have to skip a season due to lack of funds!

My thought on them is this. Yes, a season permit is $250(if you buy before dec. 1st, its only 200) BUT Ontario has 34,000KM (21,000miles) of trails that you can use all with ONE permit. Now I understand this may not be the case with every province/state, but in Ontario, as far as permits go, I think you get a pretty reasonable deal.

only thing here in Manitoba,you can't transfer top a different sled.So why should I have to pay 2 times..not knowing which sled to use based on the snow and weather conditions.Here it is around 100 to 120..unless it has gone up for this year..have to check...Yes sledding is a expension sport..costs for a sled,repairs,gas,oil and pass's..oh yeah perhaps a trailer and there is insurance for the two also.... :o|

Sounds to me like the state Governments are taking advantage of their people trying to enjoy the winter recreation activities. They know they will get their money if people can afford to own sleds since they know people can only ride a short time of the year.

The proof of the fact is that if they charged that amount ever year for car tags and drivers license renewal there would be chaos among the motorist in the state and would be facing many protesters and lawyers. The majority does not own snowmobiles

I'm not sure about other provinces or states but here in NB you can buy a pass for a single day,3 days,a week (7 days) or a season.You may be able to save a little coin by checking into this as an option for your trips.

rx1jim said:
Total for 1 sled: $560, total for both sleds: $1120!!!!!

Almost sounds like there trying to keep the tourists out with prices like that. That's not even close to reasonable. $crew-em....go somewhere else that's cheaper and wants your money.

Well, we have decided to ride this year in NH and ME only, maybe only NH, have to see how the winter turns out. If I register two sleds on both states it will still cost me $360. That's a lot more than I want to spend but that's the price of sledding in the east.

One cool thing in michigan is they honor other states registrations so all you gotta do is get a trail permit if your an out of stater.Every once in a while michigan gets it right lol!

Maybe if Michigan charged enough and actually waited to open sled trails when they have enough on them we could have good trails too. I havent bought a MI trail permit in 6 years.

Hmmmm..... usually I dont repeat myself unless asked........

I'll bet everyone wishes they lived in SW Michigan!!! LMAO

I too agree that registration prices are ridiculous and also I would like to know the percent of sales tax on a new machine goes to the trail systems.

This is why we boycotted Wisconsin this year. Poor trails for the cost of permits. Minnesota and Michigan for us. Al

grapeape said:
Maybe if Michigan charged enough and actually waited to open sled trails when they have enough on them we could have good trails too. I havent bought a MI trail permit in 6 years.
I've always wondered why michigan didn't keep the trails closed until the clubs says there ready as you always see folks riding around on dirt and frozen ground which just makes it harder to get a base established if the snow comes slowly and you don't get a big dump all at once.Granted it would be hard to enforce, but it would help establish good trails as your saying.

You can get daily and weekly passes in Ontario and Quebec.The Quebec pass includes your sled insurance,which is a pretty good deal for Quebecer's.

do you know the prices of the daily and week passes here in Ontario? they are just as much as a rip off as the full season, thats an awsome deal for people in Quebec.

Snowsnake said:
You can get daily and weekly passes in Ontario and Quebec.The Quebec pass includes your sled insurance,which is a pretty good deal for Quebecer's.

sleddineinar said:
Minnesota is $30 for a 3 year trail pass.

That's right or $16 for the 1 season. And there is a ton of trails...To bad the winters have not been the greatest...But just wait, this year is going to be INSANE.....I'm getting ready to go all the way to downtown on 394..... :2strokes:

Back