Does anyone wish that Yamaha........

journeyman

........would have continued building a couple 2 stroke models to go along with their 4 stroke lineup? Maybe improved on the Viper and gave us a wishbone version sled with a Viper type motor and direct fuel injection. It would be a lighter alternative to the 4 strokes. Yes the Yamaha 4 strokes are great running reliable machines but there is no getting away from the weight. I know certain people, some older too, that won't buy the Yamaha because it weighs too much. I know there is a trade off but in certain segments.......especially in the mountains.....lighter is better. Yamaha still makes 2 cycle outboards.

Any thoughts on what kind of HP the Viper engine would have with direct injection?

Also, does Doo's 1200 really weigh 499 lbs dry or is it marketing hype? If so Yamaha needs to try and make a competitor to that IMO.

Yes, I wish they would have atleast kept the Viper line and the non powervalve 700 line for a few more years than what they did... I 've rode with a few 4 strokes and the drone drives me CRAZY.... Nothing like the sound of a 2 stroke.

I am not saying I do not like their 4 strokes. They are nice but the weight (which really isn't Yamaha's fault, just nature of the beast) is really the only downfall. I got thinking about this recently because my Dad's brother just hung it up for good. We all rode Doo's when I was a kid in the 70's. We all switched to Yamaha in 1982. My dad and I stayed with Yamaha all along but my uncle switched to Polaris in 1993 when the XLT came along. He rode Polaris until 2007 and switch back to Yamaha with a 2007 Vector GT. He traded that last year for the 2010 Vector GT fuel injection model. He really liked the 4 stroke but it was too heavy for him being he has gotten too old to feel comfortable with it......like getting stuck and just moving the sled around. He decided to hang it up and sell the 2010 this fall. (he's buying a 4 wheeler) He said he isn't switching brands again either. I just kept thinking.....if Yamaha had a 2 stroke left in the lineup. He likes buying new too so finding a 2 stroke Yami is out of the question.

Oh well.........gotta hang er up sometime I guess. My old man is keeping his Viper. He figures it isn't worth that much anymore and he might as well ride it if it snows. If it doesn't he has a Grizzly 700.

Journeyman, I hear you with the weight issue, I was just commenting on the things that I've noticed with the 4 strokes.

I see that you seem heartbroken, sorry for the loss of a riding partner.

Well from my understanding because of new emissions regulations, a 2 stroke isn't going to be all that fun anymore either. The new the new Arctic Cat Sno Sport 500 only has 85 hp. I think their old 500 engine had somewhere around 110 hp? So basically a new phazer would walk all over it (more low end and same hp) and that isn't saying much. It's really disappointing because I don't think a 4 stroke will ever feel as fun for me to drive as a 2 stroke.

Wayne084 said:
Well from my understanding because of new emissions regulations, a 2 stroke isn't going to be all that fun anymore either. The new the new Arctic Cat Sno Sport 500 only has 85 hp. I think their old 500 engine had somewhere around 110 hp? So basically a new phazer would walk all over it (more low end and same hp) and that isn't saying much. It's really disappointing because I don't think a 4 stroke will ever feel as fun for me to drive as a 2 stroke.

Check out the Poo's 800 Etech engine. 163 HP and light as hell...that HAS to be fun. To bad it doesn't come in YamiBlue :yam:

Yamaha has direct injected 2 stroke outboard engines so I don't know why they would not at least try to transfer that tech into the sled market like Doo did,light weight 160hp 2 stroke who wouldn't like that?The 4 bangers make excellent touring sleds but personally for the type of riding I do as long as I can find low mileage 2 strokes to buy I'll upgrade a year or 2 here and there as long as I can until I ultimately have to switch.

Yep....Bandit I knew the day was coming sooner or later. Actually my dad is twins with him. My old man has always been the bigger, stronger one though. He can still ride hard for his age. (74 in January)

Did this ETEC 800 Polaris just come out? The current injected 800 only made 147HP compared to Doo and Cat pushing 162-163HP. I am not trying to bash the Polaris but they have been NOT hitting the nail on the head for quite some time with their motors. Now they moved production to Mexico. YIKES......Actually my uncles last Polaris was a 2002 Edge 800X and it was a total letdown for him.

I do wish Yamaha had kept a lighter, high performance sled based on a 2 stroke engine. I have an 03 RX-1 which I enjoy riding on groomed trails BUT my 2000 SRX is absolutely much more fun to ride. I love the 2000 SRX so much, I bought a second one and I am building a spare SRX engine. The SRX is just so much fun to ride. I set my personal long distance best at 450 miles in 12 hours on my 2000 SRX.

journeyman said:
Yep....Bandit I knew the day was coming sooner or later. Actually my dad is twins with him. My old man has always been the bigger, stronger one though. He can still ride hard for his age. (74 in January)

Did this ETEC 800 Polaris just come out? The current injected 800 only made 147HP compared to Doo and Cat pushing 162-163HP. I am not trying to bash the Polaris but they have been NOT hitting the nail on the head for quite some time with their motors. Now they moved production to Mexico. YIKES......Actually my uncles last Polaris was a 2002 Edge 800X and it was a total letdown for him.

I ment to type "Doo". My buddy has the 600 Etech and it pulls very hard, actually pulls away from the Viper (very light as well).

Yes the Doo should be a hot runner. Hope they get the reliability of their 800 figured out. One of my bro in laws just bought a 2011 Renegade in the 600 Etec. I mentioned before he bought it that until Doo get's their 800 right, I would go with the 600. He's just a trail rider anyways and personally their 600 runs very strong. In the trails you really don't need anymore. I have a friend that is a Yamaha/Doo mechanic so I have heard all the stories over the years.

My answer to the question is yes-
If I was to buy a new sled today, it unfortunately would not be a Yamaha. The weight is an issue and I just don't like how a four stroke acts.
Would probably buy a Ski-doo with a 550 fan.

GibViper said:
Exactly...can you imagine a new 2012 Yamaha 2-stroke, 160+ HP with a mono skid and fox floaters, etc...

I'd buy that in a heartbeat!
;)!

Oh yes!! Maybe 2013 or 2014...The re-birth of the SRX!!

And back on a Yami for me.

ok may be u guys should go and jump these so light machines as they will bend inhalf or tweek the bulk head know that and seen done on them ski doos lighter is not better and if it was yami would be building them, u only need 2 look around after those sleds are 3 years old they are finished un lees u like 2 spend 1000s of dollars rebuilding them. i like my yamis they sell easier and last 3 times longer, and i got vmax4s that still beat on these new sleds, so u can have thewm all. the only 2 stroke sled now that i really like is the new 800 rmk buy polaris if they can keep the 800 motor togeather they have the strongest chassi and will do well in the mountains my 2 cents

Yeh i know the Doo's LIGHT chassis is known to crumble from hitting stuff that doesn't phase my Yami. I know a few mechanics that stay very busy fixing them. I do think Polaris has built a nice chassis that rides and handles very well........their motor is what is lacking. The first version of the made in the USA motors with the keihin carbs, no power valves in the old Indy chassis ran pretty darn good. When they went to powervalves and then Fuel Injection on these motors is when things got ugly. Now they move to Mexico?? Just doesn't seem like the right thing to do IMHO.

Ive been known to say this and I will say it again..4 cylinder 2 stroke 1000cc's...direct injection maybe, powervalves on a vmax-4 with more displacement sounds tasty. add a mono-shock rearend and return to the pogos(they are badass looking IMO). Id put my money on 180+hp and a real good time!

-rustman

extremelyfastmax4 said:
ok may be u guys should go and jump these so light machines as they will bend inhalf or tweek the bulk head know that and seen done on them ski doos lighter is not better and if it was yami would be building them, u only need 2 look around after those sleds are 3 years old they are finished un lees u like 2 spend 1000s of dollars rebuilding them. i like my yamis they sell easier and last 3 times longer, and i got vmax4s that still beat on these new sleds, so u can have thewm all. the only 2 stroke sled now that i really like is the new 800 rmk buy polaris if they can keep the 800 motor togeather they have the strongest chassi and will do well in the mountains my 2 cents

Not everyone jumps and beats the sh!t out of their sleds.

I will take a lightweight chassis sled that I can handle effortlessly on wot runs and maneuver with ease in the deep stuff over a heavier sled all day long. Not to mention the ease I will have getting it unstuck when it occurs. This is the reason why I left Yamaha this year.

That being said, I still believe Yamaha to be the best built sled hands down. There is just no reason that I can see why they can't follow suit and build a line of emission friendly lighter 2 stroke sleds. No doubt if they did, a lot of 4 stroke guys would make their way back.

I see plenty of all brand sleds much older than 3 years that are still in great condition. The fact is, 90% of sleds built for the general public are not built with the intentions of jumping.

rustman ur on to something with the vmax 4 it would be all of 180 hp and the pogos with a good rear suspention still the best like a m10 air ride oh cadilac city here we come

Back