yamahas best off-trail sled

staggs65

ok guys lets hear your opinions on this. i want to purpose build an off-trail sled. what would you say is the best sled to start with. i'm a big guy so i still need some power to make up for that. not talkin big mountain riding but backwoods boondocking. theres a 01 sxr 700 for sale down the road i was lookin at. let the opinions fly....

I bought a Mt Viper with that specific purpose, not sure how it handles yet since I haven't been able to test it, but I will say a Viper is a good start. I think a MT viper is the way to go. I always want it to try a 4 stroke MT Phazer.

Nick

I have owned em all.
Get a 00-02 700 MM.
Don,t pipe it but do all other mods.
3-4" riser.
Way fun sled.

Nicko said:
I bought a Mt Viper with that specific purpose, not sure how it handles yet since I haven't been able to test it, but I will say a Viper is a good start. I think a MT viper is the way to go. I always want it to try a 4 stroke MT Phazer.

Nick

my dad rented a mt phazer from the lineshack on a wyoming trip we did a few years ago. it didn't keep up in the trails with the other 600 rmk rentals but it was a blast to ride in the powder. it performed just as good as the rmks when it came to hillclimbing and such. i only rode it a little bit, but my dad loved it.

I would start with a redheat 700. it will be lighter than a powervalved engine, & plenty of power. Maybe some lower gears also, since you're not looking for top end.

I enjoy my 151" Mt Viper a ton off trail. You don't have to go as extravagant as I did. Just an off the shelf Mt. Viper will do for flat land boon docking. The sled is also inifitely enhanceable if you decide to mod later.

staggs65 said:
i'm liking the 700mm suggestion. i was thinking redhead tripple anyways for the weight savings

It'll be very similar to your SRX's, with a longer track and minus the power valves.

mm was wayyy different then srx. mm had way better approach angle & was yamaha,s 1st true mountain sled that actually got on top of the snow. SRX...submarine with 33% approach angle vs 17% for the 00-& newer mm.

Point taken Turk. I agree. But what I meant was working on non-engine related maintenance items on the sled will be more similar. Don't they share the same bulkhead/ tunnel?

Generally, I really like 2 stroke Yamahas for off trail. They are bulletproof and sturdy. They perform and look great. And they always get you home (sometimes towing other sleds behind them!).

And they come great stock. But if you want, the sky is generally the limit for mods.

I always liked the redhead mm. turk, why not pipe it? just the fact it would be more finicky that way?

You pipe it then

mileage gets cut in 1/2
You gotta run good premium all the time
Slightly tweaked = low maintenence fun & cheap tp operate.

Backwoods = Bravo
End of story.

2rhodmq.jpg

lol

Older Phazer Mt Lite, 1996 or so with an Aaen pipe. Light weight and fun to throw around in the trees!

oooh, I want an old pahazer mtn lite, they seem like a blast in the fluff. assuming we ever get any of that ever again!

I would vote for the Phazer II long track for boon docking. Extremely reliable and very lightweight. I put a 3/4 lug track off of a Cat with 7/8" studs, replace the ski's with Current production saddle ski's. They may not be the fastest but will probably be around longer than many. Second vote is a SXR 700 red head, long track.

Back