yamahas best off-trail sled

MN flatland boondocking is how I roll.

91 phazer - 136x1.25, piped, ported, etc... Worked great, weighed nothing, suspension was terrible, needed fuel cut with 110 to not detonate. Wish I still had it, but don't know if I'd use it.

97 600 sx - 136 conversion, wasn't long enough so went 151. Handled like a bus, never could get it to run like I wanted - Hated that sled. Gave up on it after trying to get it right for 2 years.

97 mountain max. Wife's sled - Started out box stock and it wasn't much of a sled. Now it works really well - aftermarket frontend, new skis, piped, ported, 144 x 2 track, polaris/holz rear suspension. Sold it to my daughter for $100 (she's 11).

99 600 srx - mine. This is the best one I've built. aftermarket frontend, skis, 144 x 2 track, polaris/holz rear, 780 motor. Other than warming up the wisecos, the thing is a joy to play with.

2006 - apex rtx - wife's new sled. Our first season on it. Looks like its going to work really well, 144 x 1.5 track, ez ryde, custom tunnel, seat, etc... really the only thing original is the motor, frontend, and the bars/controls. Sled was built by Matt at Sled Tech in Traverse City. We took it off his hands back in March. So far so good :)

Boondocking

I have a 2003 Er Viper....and it is phenomenal in deep snow with the 1 1/4" camoplast track i put on it. The only addition it could use is a track extension. The 136 would make this unstoppable in the woods. The weight is light compared to my 4 strokes so its great in the woods if you do get stuck

Yup have to say a phazer 485! cant beat the light weight, power is down from a liquid but u will thank that if u EVER get it stuck.

I have a 99 mm700. Love the motor. I want to go longer to a 159 inch track. I'm a bigger guy also - 6'3" - 245 lbs. Flotation is key. I'm in Utah in the steep so 159 is probably to long for your use but being a bigger guy go at LEAST 144. That sxr would be sweet to long track. The wider front end would be great on flatter terrain. The engine is pretty good on gas and power. I just piped mine and love it but I'm also climbing steep hills though. If your a bigger guy then the weight of that sled shouldn't be a big issue for you. I can fling mine around just fine. If long tracking you can move the skid back and get the better approach angle you need for powder. That's my opinion.

Personally if I had to pick, aside from going 4 stroke, i'd choose like suggested a 00 style MM 700 or a Viper Mtn. But I would kick up the rear tunnel, extend it out to like a 151, 153, or 156. Then drop and roll the chaincase, 2.5" Camo Extreme or Powerclaw, with avid drivers. Gear it down. Aftermarket rear suspension for sure, as well as either stock Yamaha saddless mtn skis or Simmons Gen I's. Handlebar riser. Better boards. Boss seat purely for the weight loss. I think that would be about it.

Pipes only if you have time to tune and understand how the clutching and carbs all work. And also somewhat deep pockets for the fuel it will consume, and at least an extra few gallons of fuel on the back.

EDIT: I'm an ND flatlander/coulee rider, with about 2-5 trips west every year. Was on an 05 Viper Mtn(first year of Pro Mountain susp) for 2 years. And now this is my 2nd year on an Apex Mtn. 05 Viper Mtn stock works quite well for the flatland/coulee riding. Does work out west as well pretty good but needs a track extension and some other things to make it better. Apex Mtn sure seems to be easier to boondock/sidehill than the Viper once you get used to the throttle, but I'm pretty decent riding any one of our sleds.

Went from a 144, to a 162, to a 174 in a matter of 3 years.

Last edited:
MOUNTAIN MAX!! I am prejudiced tho...mine is well clutched and geared down with a 156" track. Can't get any better for flatland boondocking, I'm also a big guy at 280 and this thing will let me carve and pull yogi's all day long. 6200 miles and going strong with NO motor mods. At times I wish I had triple pipes, other times I'm glad I don't. I keep going back and forth...

Here's mine, down towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18243&page=42&pp=10

Last edited:

Back