Maxximum shock brackets

RunninSRX

Website
www.diablosport.com
I have these on my SRX.. dammed if I can find the paperwork.
Has 3 holes.
Bottom hole is in towards bellypan
Middle hole is center
Top hole is farthest out.
Questioin is.. which gives the most travel.
And if I were the flip them around (right side upside down on left side and vice-versa) which would give most travel?

Right now I have my Ohlins in the center hole with the brackets on correctly.
Can't really use the top hole with Ohlins as the shock itself binds against the bracket when you lift the front end up.
If I can find my SRX shocks.. I may put those on.

None of the holes give more travel, they only give more belly clearence. You can only get 8 inches of travel out of an 8 inch travel shock. If you are looking for belly pan clearence, put them in the bottom hole. Just remember everytime you move up or down, it throws your camber and toe off, and you must reset them. Maxdlx

No.. haven't tried the extentions.. only recently heard about them.
I can make those (got a full machine shop).

Hmm.. I see what your saying about travel.
I have this on my SRX:
http://www.maxxperf.com/Lightweight_FEKit.htm
Says increased travel. I dunno.
But what I want to do is get the front end of the sled up. It's too low as compared to the rear forcing it not to transfer.

The way they are figuring the 3/4 inch more travel is when the shocks lean out it lets some of the unused shaft come out. So they say. I measured mine with the brakets on, in every hole and off, no change in travel. I also put long travel shocks and stuff on, same belly pan height as the short travel shocks. The only diff is you get about 3/4 to 1 inch belly pan clearence per hole. I have mine in the middle hole, but also have long travel rears. I wish I would have put it in the top hole before I reset the front end, now I'm to lazy to redue it. Maxdlx
:WayCool: ps get a 5/8 inch cold rolled round steel bar about 4 ft long, and you can use it to reset the front, just like the high dollar tools they sell. Makes it way easier.

I took the maxximum brackets off and was going to swap them per side.. but they way they are made.. not reasl easy without making alot of spacers. Not sure what happens if I put spacers behind the maxximum brackets so they clear other stuff under there what happens to the front end geometery. By looking at it, it would be a radical change as far as where the top of the shock would mount. Way lower towards ground than stock.
Can't find my other stock bracket or I'd flip them and see what that does.
Kinda strange how putting the shock in the bottom hole (which make sthe shock lay down) gives more clearance.

Last edited:
Hmm.. I got a SX-R 500 sitting here too.. can I rob parts off it to temporarily 'fix' the SRX? Shocks, brackets, whatever. This is my last choice of things to do.. but we may go riding tommorow. All my buddies have new F7's.. if I can get this &%@#&@# thing to transfer.. I know I can smoke them.

I machined the maxximum brackets.. looks like they will sit nicely now
Was checking out how to make a shock extentions for the ohlins.. noticed one of the rods is bent.. right where the mount is.. OR the mount was threaded on wrong. Doesn't affect the travel of the shock any.
grrrr! I'm not THAT hard on this thing.
Going to put the stock shocks back on after I weld the spacers on the maxx brackets.

I know a guy in Mn who will make you a shaft for that ohlins if you need one. Maxdlx

I may do that.
I was able to get the thing to ride sweet with the Ohlins.
Was pretty rough with the stock shocks but that could be due to how they were re-valved.
When I got this SRX.. it had just come back from a guy who does shocks and he setup the suspension. They say he's good as he does ALOT of sleds around here.
But to me, it was setup for soembody that was 500#'s or more.
I've had smoother rides being dragged in a porta-john around the pits at a drag strip by a 4 wheeler than this thing was. I could feel just about every snow flake I ran over.
I don't wiegh that much at all. Skinny enough to sit out side a lipo-suction place looking for free weight. Hmm... lipo-injection.. wonder if that would work?
Was awful.
Now it's nice.. even my AC buddies like riding it.

Maybe I can help. Haven't seen said shock mounts, but I do know that if you stand the shock up straight it will have less suspension travel, (outside hole). If you lay the shock down, you will have more suspension travel, (inside hole). This is why the belly has least amount of clearance in the inner hole. Also laying the shock down will tend to soften up the ride. This means that if your shocks have alot of angle (tilt in at the top), you may get something like 8" of suspension travel, and your shock only moves 5". A shock thats straight up and down will have the same suspension travel as shock travel. Changing the shock mount position should not affect your camber, camber is adjusted with your control rods.

I machined the maxximum brackets today, flipped them around (side to side), put the stock shocks back on. Adjusted the front end. Sled sits noticably higher in the front.
Some easy as hell steering effort just sitting on the garage floor. Used to be pretty hard to turn the skis.
Fired it up (runs good after clearing the rust off the magneto).. let it warm up and since we got some snow.. took it for a quick ride b4 putting it in the trailer.
She hooks like a MOFO!!! Well.. it least in the driveway.. real test is tommorow.. going to Munising.
So.. I'd say MrViper700 hit the nail on the head when he said front end was too low.
It's up now
I'm sure I got to adjust the straps and stuff now as it wants to pick the front end up pretty easy.
Maybe this new steering effort will help too. Used to suck trying to turn that thing.
C&A Pro Race skis and serious ski pressure.
Now my arms probably won't feel like limp noodles.. well, they are limp noodles anyway.. how about they won't feel like wet dental floss?
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

i used my stock brackets and switched side to side and upside down they work great with my set up on my 2000 srx

i just cannot figure out side to side? upside down? do you take the left side bracket and put it on the right and vise versa, and then flip the bracket so the hole is on top? or is the hole on bottom? do you have to reset toe out and camber? thanks

Yes.. take the left side, flip it upside down and put it on the right.. and vice-versa.
You will need a washer so it sits flat.

After taking my SRX to the UP on sunday.. all I can say is WOW!
By raising the front end up, it now hooks and takes big bumps ALOT better.
Doesn't hook like a Cat does.. but huge impoivement over what it was. We rode 250 miles that day and I wasn't sore or tired at all. Had no problems whooping up on modified F7's.
So if you do a Viper rear suspension in a SRX.. don't forget about the front end.
I pick up my new 05 candy red RX-1 ER tommorow.. after 3 years of screwing with the SRX and finally getting it damn near the perfect sled.. I go and buy a new one.. figures :)

Back