Exciter 570

87Exciter570

Hey everybody I have been having some problems with my snowmobile getting it to start and was wondering if you had any suggestions of what the problem could be. Its a 1987 Yamaha exciter 570 and I have spark in both of the cylinders. I just replaced the Starter coil and that gave me my spark that i have now before that i had nothing. And i only have a spark when i press in the throttle a little bit. Im not sure if there is something electrical that's shorting it out somewhere or what. Basically i pull my brains out because the battery is dead and all i can get out of it is the occasional backfire. So all advice would be helpful. I am told that this site is the place to be for all my Yamaha problems.
hers some things that i did
cleaned the carbs
pulled the plugs
threw in a new starter coil.

Last edited:

If you say you get spark when you touch the throttle then try disconnecting the TORS it sounds like you have a switch either bad or out of sinc.

into each other ? umm no I just left them hang there. what would that do?
and i think that will work they are both male plugs

Last edited:
The TORS is a normally closed circuit and it kills ignition when opened. By unplugging it, you have opened the circuit. You need to jump the 2 wires together to bypass the TORS system.

Ok So just a little update on the sled. I bypassed the TORS system and that worked i got the sled to start up and run. Thats the good news. The bad news is that now that i got it running its acting funny. I will give it constant throttle and the sled will go even for a couple seconds and then it will want to scream into the Rpms and then calm back down again, it does all of this when im giving it the same amount of throttle.
So anyone ever experience this? or know what it is and how to fix it??
All suggestions are welcome

Have you ridden it this year or is this the first time you try starting it? Did you replace your old gas? Was it running ok when you parked it last year? If you've just now started it and it runs like that, it's probably old gas that's causing it. replace the gas and try again. you could look for exposed wires too.

I had a Phazer II that ran like that at idle. It would almost die and then run quickly again. It turned out to be a connecting rod bearing that was finished. It would jam, and then let go, which caused the revs to change. I found the cause of the problem when the connecting rod jammed between the crankshaft and the base.

it was dead when i parked it last year and i had stable in the fuel then. I was thinking of just buying some dry gas or a fuel additive. Connecting rod bearing ? that sounds a little out of my league to replace.

Sounds like you have a clutch problem, those sleds were known for that I had one and no matter what I did it still seemed to do that,you could be riding along at about 20 mph and all of a sudden it wanted to rocket to 30,or35 MPH, it was almost impossible to get it to run at 25 mph that got old real fast the MPH's may not be right it was a long time ago but I know what you are saying. With some clutch work you can get most of it out. I had one of those sleds and I hate to say it but it was the worst trail sled I have ever owned. You may want to try a Comet on it as those YPZ clutches left a lot to be desired. Good luck I hope you get it straightened out..

Last edited:
We put a drop of gas in the cylinders to get it started and the sled wants to take off. Its almost like the throttle is stuck open. Is there anything it could be other than a carb problem?

Ok i got another update.

I took apart and adjusted the carbs and got that out of control revving taking care of. But now that one problem is fixed another pops up as usual. Now after i run it for about 5-10 min just enough for the sled to start heating up is when it starts giving me problems. The sled will want to die down and bog like crazy. The rpms will go all over the place and eventually shut off completely.

So I thought that this could be a bad head gasket letting coolant suck into the cylinders.
Anyone else ever have this problem? or am i looking at a different problem ?

If you had a headgasket problem your sled would either run on one cylinder or not run at all, plus the exhaust would smell funny and your coolant would be low all of the time.
Check the choke plungers to make sure that they are not hanging open and causing your bog problem by letting to much fuel into the circuits when the motor starts to warm. So, when you let the sled cool and come back to it does it run again? Does it start hard or easy? describe the starting process if it is NOT normal. Does it still have spark after it quits(bogs out)?

when I restart it up i dosnt want to start right back up and you could kinda smell that it was burning through coolant. This was the first test run since I brought it back from the dead. I checked the choke cables and they are tight. And yes it still has spark after it quits and the plugs are wet.

unplug the kill switch and see if that does it, they have that stupid safety if your throttle sticks, sometimes they malfunction

Thanks but i did that already. So i think that we have it narrowed down to a crank seal. If this sounds right to everyone how hard is it to replace it? And what am i looking at for cost?

OK Im pretty sure that its the lower crank seal. I sprayed wd40 at the crank bearing seal on the clutch side as a test to see if it would rev higher and it did.

So im stuck at a decision now.
Keep the Sled and try to rebuild it because body wise its in perfect condition and only has a little over 700 miles on it.

or Sell it because its not worth to spend that much money on a sled that old.

Last edited:

Back