srx not running on 3

Is it truly running on two cylinders, or does it just seem like its running on two cylinders?

Wifes SRX seems to be running only on two cylinders, and it was a PV cable that went bad.

i put a brand new plug in it and it gets wet and doesnt change collor at all it wont fire or burn the fuel it takes.

Usually this kind of problem is easy to diagnose...pretty simple...Compression?-Fuel?-Air?-Spark?... but from what I've read so far the obvious problems have not solved the issue.
Maybe a long shot but...Have you checked your crankshaft phazing?
Since you have aleady had a degree wheel on it, repeat the process, mark TDC on all 3 cylinders and check that they are 120 degrees apart...maybe the weld let go between the centre and PTO cylinder and the PTO side has gone way out of phaze...?

Worth a look.

Bob

you said the center cyl spark was 120degrees off so you tried another cdi and no change.have you checked the wires from the cdi plug to the coil pack plug for shorts to ground or to each other in the harness? these wires are direct from cdi to coil plug so they should only have continuity to them selves and not to each other or ground. you got the three ingredants for fire but the spark has to be at the right time or it's just as well you had none.

just had another thought . if you determine your spark is at the right time you should also check that the fuel pump diafram is not leaking .the pulse line goes to the center cyl and could be flooding that cyl out when running.

ill check this out guys thanks alot and it sucks i havent ridin all season got my first ride on monday on a 2011 power tour apex se and xtx was an awesome expirience. i love the perxs of working at the yamaha dealer ship lol

sideshow said that tdc for each should be 120deg apart. It seems coinsidental that you thought timing was out by 120 on that spark. Is it possbile that the plugs wires are mixed up? Does it matter on an SRX?

02ViperMtn said:
sideshow said that tdc for each should be 120deg apart. It seems coinsidental that you thought timing was out by 120 on that spark. Is it possbile that the plugs wires are mixed up? Does it matter on an SRX?

I was thinking the same thing and I'm pretty sure firing order is important on an '01, but if the wires were crossed I'd expect two or more holes mis-timed not just one.

I'd go along with SSB's suggestion of checking crank phase or maybe a sheared key?

I'm assuming the carbs and compression have been totally elliminated from the dead cylinder issue...so...

The 2000/01/02 SRXs and all the Vipers fire the plugs individually at a precise time. If everything is wired correctly then the stator,pickup coil,flywheel,coils,sparkplug, and CDI look after the spark + its timing

If you are getting strong, properly timed spark on two cylinders then the only components that can effect the spark intensity and timing on one cylinder alone would be:
-the flywheel[triggers the pickup coil[
-wiring to, and or, that cylinder's individual coil
-spark plug wire ,and or,plug cap
-sparkplug

Its always like being a detective...systematically elliminating the suspects

Bob

Last edited:
I have a similar issue on a triple piped viper. Just installed a Peak Performance Billet Head and Mag side (cylinder #3) is not firing. I 1st notice when idling, that one pipe exhaust had more smoke (not complete combustion) and that pipe was not hot. Check spark, changed plug, it's getting gas. so I'm stumped like this thread describes too.

hey guys whent thrue the sled from top to bottome took it all aprt motor is on the bench and i havent found a dam thing wrong are the cranks wellded on the 2001 srx or not wellded. i think the crank mightbe out of phase but im not sure im stumped and dont know what to do

Did this sled ever get fixed ? I have a 2000 srx with the exact same issue carbs are clean bigger pilots installed 42.5 center cylinder not firing pipe is cold, plug is soaked in fuel good spark 125 126 126 is compression on cylinders...... I'm stumped

Back