1977 Srx

Yes, it is a 76 RX440 bottom end. I owned 2 all original 76 SRX's that were stamped exactly the same. Jeff Wurl

OK, is it the same as the 77 bottom end? It is suppose to have a new yamaha crank put in before he put it away and I looked at the top end tonight and it looks like new. The intake ports are polished and the bridge has almost a knife edge polished into it. Thanks guys for the info, any idea what the CDI # should be?

It is a little different. It has one less bearing on the mag side and made to run the 2 pickup ignition. The 77 cases are beefier too!

THAT CASE YOU HAVE IS SAME AS 433 GPX. RICK IS RIGHT 77 ARE DIFFERENT. GOOD INFO HERE THOUGH, ALL MY ENGINE CASE INFO ONLY SHOW RX-433 FOR 76 440. 3:16 (yammie tony)

76 cases

Are all 76's either RX 439 or RX 440 and then they changed to RX 433 in 77. Both my 77's are RX 433 and the 76 bottom end I have is RX 439. Just wondering why the change up from 76 to 77. Then 78-80 are back to RT 439.

Last edited:
OK I confirmed with a guy in Nova Scotia who has a matching #'s 76 SRX 440 which is RX440 and the matching sequential # to his chassis. The laste 3 digits are 14 away from mine so this has to be a 76 SRX 440 case. I know Kawasaki KX cases can only be determined by the production # last 4 or 5 digits.from 1978-81. If there is guys out there with matching #'s GPX's post the year and case #'s and it should add up. I believe at least the mag housing is from a 76 anyway. He said(previous owner) a NOS 77 Crank was installed. I will put my see snake in through the intake and see if I can make out 8F2 on the connecting rods. This is fun CSI SRX

OK, she has been raced hard and won many trophies in Northern Ontario in the 80's/90's Should I attempt to tig all the tears back up and polish up or leave as is. I might get it back in race trim and buy another original one? Suggestions? Any one have a real nice belly pan?

Thanks for that, I am going to call the X-owner later tonight to fill me in on the history again. The crank must have let go and took out the cases, but we will see what he says.

Look to see if there is webbing in the upper half of the case on the PTO end.

Sure. Right behind the clutch. I can send you pics of both 76 and 77 cases if you would like.

That would be great if you could my email is bgirvi1125@rogers.com I just got off the phone with the guy I bought it off. He said the crank was definately a 77 SRX crank bought from Yamaha and the track was purchased new at the same time. New cylinders were bought from Hauck as well, I have the old 8F2's cyls as well. 3 races after the crank and track were installed, its was put away and that was the end of its racing days. The cleats have just a bit of surface rust and inside the motor looks like new. I just want to get it up and running before I tear it completely apart

Thanks HMAN can you email me to the address above pics etc and I will contact you off the forum, They do not like us discussing parts in this section I guess and don't want to upset anyone. Thanks Brad :rulez:

Back