2s oil

sledmix

Hello, I was wondering if using the 2s semi synthetic oil in my viper will be good, or should I go to a full synthetic oil because of the power valves?
Thanks
Jim

Jim,
Oil is a BIG debate here.... Some guys run the dino oil and some guys swear by synthetic. Unfortunately the choice is yours. you just need to make sure that the fuel/oil ratios are set correctly in your viper as there seem to be tons of issues with proper oiling, also make sure that your carbs are jetted properly and Clean for the season or you will run into tons of troubles. If you look for oil threads you'll find quite a few. Welcome aboard the the BEST Yamaha site on the net.

shhhh you will wake up nosboy lol j/k gary....i look at it like this yamaha spent thousands of hours testing every part on the sled and probally hundreds of hours on what oil to use so i stick with there choice

ok thanks! That is what I am using now. someone had said that is is made by citco and that it is the same as the citgo cheap oil but I dont want to take the chance on it. I am going to check the adjustment this year and make sure its correct. thanks for the help.

Use the highest rated oil you can find for the best price, it will have a label on the bottle saying if its tcw3 ,jaso fc etc. Heres a breakdown of the different ratings given to 2 stroke oils. Jaso FD/egd passes the hardest tests.
NMMA TC-W3 – two cycle water-cooled, third generation. TC-W3 obsoletes TC-W & TC-WII. Oils with
this spec do not use metal based additives, and are ashless. This is an outboard specific spec.

API TC – only API spec established for two cycle engines. It regulates lubricity, detergency, ash
content & pre-ignition. Oils with this spec are typically using metal based, ash producing additives.

JASO FA – original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke
and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FB – increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking
requirements over FA.

JASO FC – lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency,
exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.

JASO FD - same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.

ISO-L-EGB – same tests and requirements as JASO FB.

ISO-L-EGC – same tests and slightly higher detergency requirements (piston varnish) as JASO FC.

ISO-L-EGD – same tests and requirements as JASO FD.

For what its worth I use shell advance ultra fully syn and its jaso fd rated and reasonably priced for a full syn.

Last edited:
yes Shell Advance Ultra fully syn. oil is what I am using now and got 3 -5 liter jugs from Walmart that they were clearing at $35..not to shabby price wise..that's $5/liter.I should of bought more.

im running amsoil syn in mine and also ran it in my 01 zr 800 had good luck so far

sledmix said:
ok thanks! That is what I am using now. someone had said that is is made by citco and that it is the same as the citgo cheap oil but I dont want to take the chance on it. I am going to check the adjustment this year and make sure its correct. thanks for the help.
SAME STUFF... Spe
nd your money how you want to spend it.. I'm getting tired of explaining it to people... They sure complain when they spend SIX DOLLARS for a three dollar gallon of gasoline though !!!

sledmix said:
Hello, I was wondering if using the 2s semi synthetic oil in my viper will be good, or should I go to a full synthetic oil because of the power valves?
Thanks
Jim
KLOTZ.. Keep away from CITGO/ Yamalube....

Dude, do a search. You will see why the debate is so big around here. That's what I did as a noob. Just search for the "skinny on yamalube" read end to end. You deffo opened a can of worms. Lol

Brand doesnt matter read the rating on the bottle, Yamalube non syn is tcw3 rating, that earlier post that I posted shows its an outboard specific oil that doesnt pass the same tests as the other oils. (outdated)

Well I am so sorry for bringing it up. but figured that yamalube is oem so it was good. Who knew. but I will use up what I have and try the shell fully syn. I will try to research a question a little more before posting again.

Back