arctic cat suspension in yamaha sled?

88 yamaha 570

i was given a 98 zr600 arctic cat, it has the higher suspension i guess? i also noticed it had fox shocks all around with a pretty good track, does anyone know if this set up will fit either a 95 vmax or a 99 sx600 triple and if its even worth it or if i should just sell it? and if so how much do you think its worth?

You can make it work,all you have to do is get the mounting location's from the donor sled.Might have to rivet some steel plate's where the new mounting location's will be in the vmax or sx for strength then drill the hole's. That skid should be a huge improvement for the 95 vmax. I did a skid swap on my 96 xt a while back but installed a 02 viper skid,wish I would have went with ac or poo iq or edge or something with some weight transfer.Hope this help's.

88 yamaha 570 said:
i was given a 98 zr600 arctic cat, it has the higher suspension i guess? i also noticed it had fox shocks all around with a pretty good track, does anyone know if this set up will fit either a 95 vmax or a 99 sx600 triple and if its even worth it or if i should just sell it? and if so how much do you think its worth?
yes it does work and it was like day and night it took all night to do it but it can be done we had to drill 2 new holes up front i dont remember where its my buddys sled we did it to and we where drinking that night lol

Attachments

• 198960_10150130207938539_765328538_6488083_3770111_n vmax.jpg
    198960_10150130207938539_765328538_6488083_3770111_n vmax.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 33
ok well i don't think i want to install it then, seems like too much work ill just sell the skid, does anyone want to buy one or know how much there worth?

what about the fox shock, should they fit in my sx? and will they make a difference? the fronts have a gas charge thing that mounts to the sled and is adjustable, should i use those on my sx or sell then?

Wow, first a 2000 SRX for $300 and now a 98 zr600 for free!?!?
Do any of your friends have a spare Attak laying around that they would part with?

i got them both from same guy, the srx wasn't in too good shape so i payed 400 for both XD neither have titles but the original owner of the cat wont fork over a title, and im getting title for the srx soon, cats got a nice camoplast challenger track on it 15x121x1 with 2.52 pitch only like 500 miles, anyone wanna buy it? also selling the suspension and fox shocks if anyone wants to upgrade an old yamaha

I have a 136" cat skid in my SRX. This is the BEST upgrade u will ever do to a yamaha sled if u like riding trails. It is a world of differance in quality og ride, whoops, chatters, moguls, it eats them up. That & the fact that my 136" mountain cat skid & 136" ripsaw track weigh less that the 121 skid & track. More travel, better shocks, more traction, better transfer, less weight. Why would you not put it in. I am putting a cat skid in my wifes 98 XTC this year also. My friends have cat skids in 2 - '96 XT 600's, another in a 98 SRX, another in a 99 SRX, & another in a 2001 SXR.

I am with ottawaair on this you will spend more time and money and agravation trying to keep a old proaction from falling apart than the 2 or 3 hrs it will take to install something that has real steel bushings...not plastic crap.

so you think i should put the rear skid on my girls 500 vmax? i kinda wanna sell it and build my srx but her sleds gonna need a track in the next few years but i might be selling it at the end of the season

ok should i install the suspension in my girls 95 vmax that might need a track soon and might be sold end of season, my sx 600 with brand new ice gripper that my 125lb girl might get soon, or my srx im rebuilding that needs a track? im thinking the srx because its going to be my main sled next year...

only you can answer those questions. Put it in the sled you are going to ride. Sounds to me like you have plenty of work ahead of you.

ya lol, not sure if i want to sell it and the track, so i can rebuild the srx, or put it in the srx and have a nice sled with good suspension, do i put both front and rear in? or just the rear?

Damn man I wish I was in your shoe's cause you got what I ultimatley want,SRX with a better skid.
All you have to do is measure from the center of the drive shaft for the track back to the center of the front mounting location of the skid then down from the top of the tunnel to the center of the front mount(this is off the AC).
Then from there you measure from the front mount to the back mount center to center and down from the top of the tunnel.
Next like I said earlier you may have to strengthen the tunnel on the yamaha where the new mounting location's are with some 16 ga steel riveted to the inside of the tunnel.
It's really pretty easy to do the critical part is getting the correct measurment's off the donor sled to the one it's being installed.

tdd77 said:
Damn man I wish I was in your shoe's cause you got what I ultimatley want,SRX with a better skid.
All you have to do is measure from the center of the drive shaft for the track back to the center of the front mounting location of the skid then down from the top of the tunnel to the center of the front mount(this is off the AC).
Then from there you measure from the front mount to the back mount center to center and down from the top of the tunnel.
Next like I said earlier you may have to strengthen the tunnel on the yamaha where the new mounting location's are with some 16 ga steel riveted to the inside of the tunnel.
It's really pretty easy to do the critical part is getting the correct measurement's off the donor sled to the one it's being installed.
i am quite confused by this... never done it before and wouldn't know where to start, but first i need to find a clutch puller to get the srx clutch off and see if i want to rebuild or part it out... anyone got one with a shipping price to 13030 i can borrow? XD

360miller said:
yes it does work and it was like day and night it took all night to do it but it can be done we had to drill 2 new holes up front i dont remember where its my buddys sled we did it to and we where drinking that night lol
Holy crap man!! your buddy must have been drinking when he crashed that vmax in that swamp ;):D LaLaLa

tdd77 said:
Holy crap man!! your buddy must have been drinking when he crashed that vmax in that swamp ;):D LaLaLa
no we wernt... that acutally was a small stream that flooded about 200ft long and 3 ft deep...we where water skipping and one of his plastic off his skis came loose up front and folded under when he hit the water and flipped him lol...it hit so hard it pushed the frame back 3 inches.. in case your wondering hes ok and we laugh about it now

wow that sucks... does anyone know if plastic skis from a 98 zr600 will fit a 95 vmax? they have brand new carbides and are plastic so i want to give them to my girlfriend before season starts

88 yamaha 570 said:
wow that sucks... does anyone know if plastic skis from a 98 zr600 will fit a 95 vmax? they have brand new carbides and are plastic so i want to give them to my girlfriend before season starts
Don't think those ski's will work without the correct mount's. A couple of year's ago I purchased a set of slydog ski's from this place called johnmaster.net he sell's plastic ski's for the T.S.S. suspension and are priced pretty cheap. Check his site out maybe the mount's he has for the kimpex ski's might work for the arctic cat ski's I think they are about $70

Back