srx carb tear-down &%@#$!*!

tippmannator

ok so im trying to clean my carbs and get the beast ready for white. never done this myself before so im following the service manual and going slow. i have the carb rack off the sled and per the carburetor separation section i just started and have already rounded 2 screws &@$%!!! :whine: :whine: :whine: :o| :o|

i am using the best fitting screw driver possible yet these screws wont budge. is this operator error or does everyone have this issue?

p.s im not very mechanically inclined, so please dont pull any punches if its operator error!

Last edited:

when they're locked up like that try giving the screwdriver a few light taps with a hammer first to break things loose. if that doesn't do it vice grips usually work. when you do get them out trow all but one away. take the one to the hardware store and replace with allen heads in the same size and immediately upon returning home throw away the last one.

X2.... I can attest, it sucks when they round off. I have used a small set of channel locks myself and had good luck ad well. PM me your address so I can mail you some quality allen head screws for your carbs. I'll throw a couple extra in as well. Good luck and remember we all have to start somewhere so don't fret about getting flamed. A question is never a dumb question if you don't know the answer.

i guess another question would be do i need to seperate all the carbs from the rack in order to clean them?

It can be a pain in the a$$ when you strip one or more but if you get in touch with Crewchief he sells allen head screws which will eliminate future problem. I think he has a vendor's link on the site it's Sled Toyz. It won't take long to get them in the mail.
James

Last edited:
simple solution to that problem..because it happens to all.Take a dremel with a small cutting blade and cut across the screw head and make a slot for a flat screwdriver to fit.That works everytime and no Philips screwdriver needed.Another method if the heads are still good is to take your cordless impact drill or your regular cordless drill and set the clutch pressure down.The vibration from it ratcheting will slowly turn the screw and not destroy the Philips head on the screw..simple solutions.. ;)!

You're ballsier than myself!

I ended up paying a 30 year mechanic $150 to clean my carbs....

I've never done it either, if it was a lawnmower it'd be different. The fear of being 30 miles out in the Rockies and going down because of a carb issue outweighed the value of $150 to me haha

Good luck! I'll keep my eye on this thread in case some good info comes thru and I decide to do my own next fall.

Sweet, thanks!

If there's two things I'm anti when it comes to working on my own stuff it's electrical and carbs/fuel delivery. Everything else I dive right in, but a step by step writeup would help!

Hey tip i happen to have a set of carbs on my bench now cleaning also. So if ya need any help or pic's let me know. Dont forget the screens under the floats also. RX1jim gave me a tip to remove that pin and its been awesome. Get yourself one of those spring loaded nail sets at the hardware when you go to get your allen head bolts. Works everytime and no stress on the float arms that hold the pins. I use a pair of needle nose vise grips to get my stuck ones off. Went right to home depot after to buy the allen head screws. Never again.

milo303 said:
You're ballsier than myself!

I ended up paying a 30 year mechanic $150 to clean my carbs....

I've never done it either, if it was a lawnmower it'd be different. The fear of being 30 miles out in the Rockies and going down because of a carb issue outweighed the value of $150 to me haha

Good luck! I'll keep my eye on this thread in case some good info comes thru and I decide to do my own next fall.
The good thing about carburetors,,, is,, that if you have a carb issue,, you WILL NOT get to go 30 miles away from wherever you're at.. 99% of the time,,, you'll know about it right away and won't even get it off the trailer... OR on the trailer for that matter.. MIKUNI sells a carburetor TOOL KIT which has the PROPER screwdrivers and the proper wrenches for MIKUNI carburetors.. it's WELL WORTH the money,,but HARD TO FIND !!!

I hear you on the pin problem Super. What a PIA! I've never had a problem getting the pins out in my life,.... on any carburator! Thought I was going to snap the towers right off on one of the carbs. Got it, but I'm going to try your trick you mentioned. I think I know what your talking about but do you have a pic of it so I can be sure. I dont want to go through that aggravation again this year.
I've always had great luck using my impact screwdriver on the carb screws. Obviously not using a hammer. Just having the down force and turning at the same time on it usually works great.

Picked up some new needle jets this year. Gonna change those out. Couple of them looked like they were getting pretty worn out. Basically peeling by the tip. Should have done it last year but oh well....
Tippannator, If you need some assistance sometime, I'm only about 20-25 min. from you. Just throwing it out there.....

Last edited:
super...... would love to see some pics showing what you are talking about

FJViper.....thanks for the offer, ill def keep you in mind!

Here's a pic! It a spring loaded deal that you press down on the tip and when the spring releases it makes a dimple in metal, or wood, ect... so you can drill or set a nail or screw without it moving. Ive always called them a nail set. Probably not the right name but hope the pic helps to see what im talking about. Just keep your hand over the other end of the pin cause it will fly out!

Attachments

• DSCF0683 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0683 (800x600).jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 2
it is called a center punch..usually used to center a mark when you are installing hinges.There are different sizes for different size hinge holes.I used to used several sizes when I was setting up to install door hinges on slab doors.

I'm with staggs

;)!
staggs65 said:
when they're locked up like that try giving the screwdriver a few light taps with a hammer first to break things loose. if that doesn't do it vice grips usually work. when you do get them out trow all but one away. take the one to the hardware store and replace with allen heads in the same size and immediately upon returning home throw away the last one.
I did the exact thing as staggs. Used a pair of small vice grips to remove and replaced with stainless allen head screws. Carb cleaning is not a hard job. Just pay attention to how things come apart (pics help). Who wants to pay someone for something you can easily do your own. Use the money to buy something new for your sled! Soc

Last edited:

Back