race srx 780

staggs65 said:
got looking at making my mold for my hood today. I need to find a foam or something that I can shape and attach to the stock hood to smooth it out before I put the fiberglass for the mold on it. If that makes sense I'm open to ideas on where I can get something. I'll probably take a look at the craft stores and building supply stores this week unless someone has an idea.
Have used wax paper and painters tape for small projects.(2'x2').....ie the head section of a JD Spitfire.

no this isnt some kind of late april fool's joke, I'm actually starting to work on it again :) I started smoothing out a hood to make a mold for a fiberglass hood. Not a lot of progress but it's something ;)!

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. our new puppy ate the SD card for our digital camera :(

got some more time to work on the hood this afternoon. It's starting to take shape but still a lot of work to go yet. I originally had a low Cobra windshield for this but decided to go with a stocker and sold the Cobra. I'm regretting that decision a little now. The sides of the stocker just look blocky to me smoothed out. I think the flares of the Cobra would have looked better, oh well, there's no turning back now. Here's another crappy cell phone pic.

Its looking good jeff, it will be ready before you know it, hahaha. Its gunna look sweet, good job!!

I thought I would see a nice little engine all together....lol

what are you on a 5 yr project plan like me???........LOL!!! :hide: :rofl:

got the rough shape of the center of the hood with some thin aluminum sheet metal and some aluminum tape. Now a just dozen or so coats of filler and a lot of sanding and it will be what I want.

So I finally bought a new SD card for my camera but the camera wont recognize it so on with the crappy cell pics.... I got the center of the hood roughed in but it just looks like an undefined blob to me.

So I decdided to use some 5/32 filler wire to create some body lines. they're not in final location I just eyeballed them on there to see if I liked the idea. I'll pull some measures and then mud and shape them in.

It's a good thing this hood is just to make a mold for the fiberglass hood cause it's gonna weigh a ton with all the filler in it. lol. I would have been done the hood by now had I followed Aircraftman's advice and vacuum bagged the stock hood and started glassing but good enough is never quite good enough for me. Now you see why my projects take so long. I've had enough filler and sanding for a bit, tomorrow I'm going to take a look at the chassis.

Looks good though! Your phone pic's are a bit foggy. Mine looked like that after i had hydrolic oil spill all over the phone and got inside the lense, it shot pic's like that. Always somthing spilling on it in the man cave. Beer, oil, beer. HAHA!

That is going to be one sweet looking hood and a good project should take more than 2 years I know all about that lol

super1c said:
Looks good though! Your phone pic's are a bit foggy. Mine looked like that after i had hydrolic oil spill all over the phone and got inside the lense, it shot pic's like that. Always somthing spilling on it in the man cave. Beer, oil, beer. HAHA!

mines full of dust between the lens and the cover.

Not right now. I've got some projects around the house that needed finishing first. I've given up on trying to make the first event here (3 weeks away lol). Hopefully be ready for the next one.

I'm doing an about-face on this build. It is still going to continue as planned but to be able to race sooner I'm putting the engine in a stock chassis while I finish building this chassis the way I want it to be. This way I won't be tempted to cut corners on the chassis.
The sled I'm putting it in I bought cheap with the understanding of it having one bad cylinder. I was prepared for the crank to be bad which it is. I was planning on building it for the stock ISR class. I bought a used cylinder before I got the sled home. Turns out all 3 cyls are junk for what I wanted, a stock srx in tiptop shape, and the replacement cyl I bought didn't fit the bill either. good enough for a trail sled but not for what I wanted to do with it.
So for now the big motor is going in it. when the race chassis is done right I'll do a transplant. I still intend to build an ISR stocker out of the stock sled later. The good news is the chassis is pretty clean and straight. more to come, sooner than later this time I promise.........maybe

A few days ago got it stripped down and degreased, engine compartment was a mess. Today I got the speed track and wahl suspension mounted. Removing the 196 ice picks was about as boring as it gets, that's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back. Put new bearings and seals in the chaincase and repacked the clutch side bearings. I dropped tha crank off to my buddy to be checked out. It was within factory tolerances but he made some adjustments and now it's as true as it gets. Just waiting on wristpins, bearings, and clips and I can put the motor back together and drop it in.

Back