2013 model release date is here!

I think it loos like a move dictated by the current economic situation. weathering the storm if you will. time will tell I guess. would not want to pay for a new sled from anyone right now. yamaha seems to be the most dependable, but the least exciting. I would still probably choose them first, just dont like the things the others are making you live with. love the 800r with the rmotion I tried last year, but afraid of the cranks with the isoflex grease. cat looked amazing at the show last year, but have a lot of issues this year on the snow. polaris sounds nice, but I cant get over the looks and dont like their 4 stroke offering. and with the cost I would only want a long lasting 4 stroke that wont have crank problems and burn downs. either way, I wont be buying a new sled for many years, just the way I am currently $$ wise.
I do like the idea of a kids sled though, my 3 year old daughter is interested in sleds and I have another on the way. thats when I will be interested again :)

Well atleast they did come out with a new model. Usually I'm the first to complain about Yamaha's recent line up but seriously when I sit and think about it I would by a Yamaha sled and just ride.

Last new sled I bought was in 97. Everytime I got on it to ride I never worried about it breaking down. I did basically nothing to it and it still runs strong with 11,000 miles. My buddy burnt up his MXZ three times before he sold it. Anothers Poliras was a nightmare and ended alot of rides short. Arctic Cats? They burn really nice! If the clutch doesn't fall off first.

I just ran to town to the gas station. Some poor kid stuck with his dad at the gas station. The new Cat wouldn't start. Half way back home there sits two Skidoos one with the hood on the side of the trail.

So go buy your Cat's and Polaris and Skidoos. I'll stick with whats been working. I grew up riding Cats but my first purchase was a used 87 Exciter and I've never looked back.

BARON 8BU said:
Well atleast they did come out with a new model. Usually I'm the first to complain about Yamaha's recent line up but seriously when I sit and think about it I would by a Yamaha sled and just ride.

Last new sled I bought was in 97. Everytime I got on it to ride I never worried about it breaking down. I did basically nothing to it and it still runs strong with 11,000 miles. My buddy burnt up his MXZ three times before he sold it. Anothers Poliras was a nightmare and ended alot of rides short. Arctic Cats? They burn really nice! If the clutch doesn't fall off first.

I just ran to town to the gas station. Some poor kid stuck with his dad at the gas station. The new Cat wouldn't start. Half way back home there sits two Skidoos one with the hood on the side of the trail.

So go buy your Cat's and Polaris and Skidoos. I'll stick with whats been working. I grew up riding Cats but my first purchase was a used 87 Exciter and I've never looked back.

performance/fun vs reliability you decide

depends on if its fun to be down during the very short riding time. I have been running around on the groomer recently, the only riding I have done this year. its like a 2002 ski doo skandic 500f super wide track. I can say that it does not need to be the fastest, newest, etc to have fun. and if you have ridden an apex and thought it wasnt fun you are either not a trail rider or do not know how to ride. not saying the others arent fun, just giving up dependability for "fun" is nonsense. maybe I am just old enough to hate the idea of not making it home under my own power

03viperguy said:
depends on if its fun to be down during the very short riding time. I have been running around on the groomer recently, the only riding I have done this year. its like a 2002 ski doo skandic 500f super wide track. I can say that it does not need to be the fastest, newest, etc to have fun. and if you have ridden an apex and thought it wasnt fun you are either not a trail rider or do not know how to ride. not saying the others arent fun, just giving up dependability for "fun" is nonsense. maybe I am just old enough to hate the idea of not making it home under my own power

ive got towed home by a cat 3 times this year. my buddies rx-1 needed a forklift to get it out of a ditch then had to be towed home. My other buds 4-stroke phazer had to be picked up on our trip yesterday. Only break downs this year were of yammies and theres only 3 yammies i know of in town. Any sled can trail ride

I guess for me and my experience, I have seen and had better luck with yamahas. and by trail ride I guess I meant 200 miles plus in a day, comfortably and with the ability to do it again next day. like what the guy breaing all the records on his vector does. sorry you have been having bad luck lately, the season is too short for issues in a regular season, never-mind a crummy one like this year has been

03viperguy said:
I guess for me and my experience, I have seen and had better luck with yamahas. and by trail ride I guess I meant 200 miles plus in a day, comfortably and with the ability to do it again next day. like what the guy breaing all the records on his vector does. sorry you have been having bad luck lately, the season is too short for issues in a regular season, never-mind a crummy one like this year has been

you need a race sled to get through our trails comfortable. no trail sled will do. stopped grooming it 2 years ago and now its relentless 4ft jumps and kickers. thats why i upgraded the suspension on de vmax dis year but it aint enough. my first sled was a yammy my second a yammy my third a yammy and now my sx. my dad has a yammy. my brother a yammy. both pops have yammys. and my uncle a yammy multi purpose ( most unreliable sled ive ever seen ) Im yammy through and through but their 5 years behind the competition.

I can understand with trails like that. here, everything is groomed and race sleds are for kids that stand up, wear backpacks, and have loud cans that get trails closed. in your case though, sounds like they make sense. for me, no thanks

03viperguy said:
I can understand with trails like that. here, everything is groomed and race sleds are for kids that stand up, wear backpacks, and have loud cans that get trails closed. in your case though, sounds like they make sense. for me, no thanks

stands up, wears backpack, loud can,.... have you been stalking me?

Putting the SRX badge on a 120 kids sled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shows where Yamaha's heads at...they just don't get it!
I'm speachless..............................

Bob

been riding yamahas since 1982. buddy bought 2012 nytro xtx and 2012 renegade x. he has been on yamahas since 1979. he had to put a mountain mod seat (3 inches higher) and a handlebar riser on it just to make is so you could somewhat move around on the nytro. we also put 6.9 ski doo skis on it so it would steer easier. the nytro puts you in the same cramped riding position that the '03 rev did. we both have never ridden a ski doo before. we rode both sleds over 500 miles this year switching back and forth on the trails and fireroads in wisconsin. no comparison. he is making his kid ride the nytro next year and i am snow checking a 2013 renegade x with the Rmotion. another buddy bought a 2012 switchback pro r that we rode one week up north. that was a decent sled but was much louder and vibrated more than the ski doo. the front suspension is very good. we both agreed that if all you were going to do is ride on fireroads or lakes then the nytro is fine. we both love yamaha reliability but there has just become too much of a tradeoff for that reliability and its no longer worth it. not even close.

Thumper1 said:
been riding yamahas since 1982. buddy bought 2012 nytro xtx and 2012 renegade x. he has been on yamahas since 1979. he had to put a mountain mod seat (3 inches higher) and a handlebar riser on it just to make is so you could somewhat move around on the nytro. we also put 6.9 ski doo skis on it so it would steer easier. the nytro puts you in the same cramped riding position that the '03 rev did. we both have never ridden a ski doo before. we rode both sleds over 500 miles this year switching back and forth on the trails and fireroads in wisconsin. no comparison. he is making his kid ride the nytro next year and i am snow checking a 2013 renegade x with the Rmotion. another buddy bought a 2012 switchback pro r that we rode one week up north. that was a decent sled but was much louder and vibrated more than the ski doo. the front suspension is very good. we both agreed that if all you were going to do is ride on fireroads or lakes then the nytro is fine. we both love yamaha reliability but there has just become too much of a tradeoff for that reliability and its no longer worth it. not even close.[/QUOTE
and realisticly other brands dont.break down on every trip...

i have owned only yamaha sleds since my first '78 srx. however, if i was going to buy a new sled it would not be a yamaha. argue all u want about reliability but the industry sales figures tell the whole story. last in sales is still last in sales. the suspensions are marginal & they ride no better than my srx & sxr's with re-valved viper shocks + they weigh a bunch more. if there was a disproportionate amount of problems between the manufacturers, as the die hard yamaha fans would like us to believe, the sales figures would reflect the same.
bob

I understand your point, except for the suspension comment. the mono rides so much better than the proaction, revalved or not, that it is no comparison. none. and I judge the issues with other sleds by the # of recalls and what I see happen to my cat riding neighbors and my friend that works at the doo dealer and goes to their tech schools. everyone has an opinion though.

bufalobob said:
i have owned only yamaha sleds since my first '78 srx. however, if i was going to buy a new sled it would not be a yamaha. argue all u want about reliability but the industry sales figures tell the whole story. last in sales is still last in sales. the suspensions are marginal & they ride no better than my srx & sxr's with re-valved viper shocks + they weigh a bunch more. if there was a disproportionate amount of problems between the manufacturers, as the die hard yamaha fans would like us to believe, the sales figures would reflect the same.
bob

The general public buys what ever is the latest and greatest or at least in marketing hype.

you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time!!!!
bob

sideshowBob said:
Putting the SRX badge on a 120 kids sled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shows where Yamaha's heads at...they just don't get it!
I'm speachless..............................

Bob
It's a disgrace to the srx legacy! At least put a turbo on it so it's faster than all the other brands.

The way I look at it is I can run the sh1t out of my old Phazers if we get a good snowy winter and have a ton of fun. But, if we get a year like this one where I didn't ride but more then across the grass after cleaning the carbs, I can afford to let them sit in the shed. Instead of getting your undies in a bundle over the payments your making on something your not even getting to ride.

dynoport just dynod the new 800 etec at 169hp. 2013 cat at 164hp and polaris 800 at 164hp. the competition keeps pulling away and leaving yamaha in the dust...

Back