Project: 04 Viper S

J_hubbs

I traded a fellow TY member for a 04 Viper S with a bad crank. I would like to create a nice work log during my build. I have followed many other thread/builds and have learned much, thank you all. ;)!

My recent sleds haven't quite fit my style of riding 100%:
-99 SRX, FAST and handled great but no suspension.
-02 MXZ 700, quick, mediocre handling (lots of ski lift), great suspension, decent in powder, wheelie machine.
-00 SxR 600 with Hauck pipes, quick, lots of top end! great handling, not the best in the big bumps or powder.

I would like to make this machine into a good crossover machine. Good suspension, handling, reliability, power, and mileage.

DSCN0195-1-1-1.jpg

My old MXZ with Dynoport pipe, MRBP silencer, Vforce reeds, 1.5"ripsaw, -1 tooth top sprocket.

I liked the Sc10 III rear skid in the 'Doo so Im swapping one in. I got this one off ebay. It was listed as a III, I got it for $100, with the HPG (KYB) rebuildable shocks. Almost too good to be true. It was... it turned out to be a Sc10 II. But after a little homework the only difference is the rear arm and torque rods. So I got those off an Sc4 rev skid. It should be a true 12" travel now.
IMG_1380_zpsec2c1217.jpg

Today I ordered a full gasket set and sent all 4 shocks to REP racing for their "Ohlins clone" valving. We will see if those Swedes can be copied...

Here is what happened to the case when the rod went. I'm sure a few of you have been through this.
IMG_1376_zps681dc502.jpg

Lucky for me we just purchased a Miller Syncowave 250 TIG at work. I will try to weld it myself, it is a small crack after all.
IMG_1379_zpsa1acc3d0.jpg

Crank got 3 rods, 1 wheel, 1 bearing(pto i think) for $535
Then after one rod poked out of the box on its way back to me and got bent I had to send it back for another rod at $175.....
Im still not too happy about that.

While researching front shock setups I found that the options are:
-Ohlins, rare and expensive
-GYTR clickers, more common still expensive
-Fox air, expensive $600
-Stock KYB with revalve, (most go with Pioneer), decent performance, cheap

I then came across an old thread where a TY member had his KYB's revalved and resprung (Hygear springs) from REP Racing with good results. He later aquired a set of Ohlins. He switched between the two sets multiple times and could not tell the difference.

I called them "Ohlins Clones" based on similar performance.
When I get them back I will post the prices.

Today I broke down the Sc10 3 suspension. The steel parts are going to the blaster then to AmatoSRX for powdercoating.
IMG_1408.jpg

I know the most popular seat swap is the Boss seats, but they are a bit pricey. I have only seen one pic of an Apex seat on a viper, and it was a mountain sled. I came across a Apex MTN seat on Ebay for $50 so I decided to buy it. It doesnt look too bad just sitting on there. Obviously I will need to fabricate a rear frame to mount it. Im thinking aluminum tubing. I also might need to re-form the plastic around the tank to get a good fit. The engine rebuild and rear suspension swap have priority. I might wait to play with the seat fitment.
IMG_1410.jpg

Stock Viper S
IMG_1411.jpg

Apex seat

My shocks are back from REP racing (Racers Edge Performance). Dual rate spring conversion and custom valving on the front KYB's. Custom valving on the rear HPG's (KYB's made for Skidoo) Grand total $420.
IMG_14721.jpg

:jump:

Back