Project: 04 Viper S

X2 on the shocks! May have to look into that for the wife and daughters vipers. Report back on the ride results when you hit the snow. Will be looking forward to see the results.

When rebuilding a dirtbike engine the aftermarket gasket set is the easier cheaper method when compared to ordering OEM gaskets individually. I have used all brands with success. This is not the case with our Yamahas. I ordered a Winderosa gasket set for my Viper rebuild. The PTO crank seal doesnt fit. After some research I found this to be common. I ordered a pair of OEM Yamaha crank seals, no sense cheaping out here.
IMG_14691.jpg

QUITE intrigued with that crank rebuild, just what I need. how many miles were on yours?
other than the shipping, were you happy overall?

I am unsure on the mileage as I have yet to run the sled since I traded for it (digital odometer). When I called Jeff at Midwest Crank, he said worst case is about $500-550. I think that was new rods, bearings, lab seal, and one new crank wheel. Trued to less than half of Yamahas runout spec and Tig welded. Mine had rust on the bearings from snow/water getting in the disassembled engine. He wont replace everything if it doesnt need it, but mine did. From what I have read on TY he did most of the SRX crank recalls from the '98 models under the Yamaha warantee. I was happy with the service. There is another crank re-builder closer to me, but a few guys said he gets more wrong than right. Not what I want in the bottom of my engine. Wherever you send it make sure you wrap it good and double box it! Mine looked like it fell out of the UPS jet.

great, that what mine will probably end up needing. lost a bearing due to corrosion, and it has approx 9k miles. time for all if it is apart I think. sounds great, a lot less than I was thinking it would be for EVERYTHING :)

I would send the crank out asap! Also stay away from the winderosa gasket kits on Ebay, I'm not happy with the fit and quality. TY members say stay with OEM gaskets. There may be cheaper places for OEM parts but the cheapest I have found is ServiceHonda.com Viper ring sets $18.25, Base gasket $13 Head gasket $33, exhaust gasket $18, crank seals $11 & $12. If your crank doesnt need much work it shouldnt cost too much to rebuild crank, crank seals, re-ring, hone, and re-gasket. $150ish plus crank work.

SHS powersports is running free shipping on oem parts and accessories thru Nov 30th. I just bought a bunch of stuff from them and Jeff at midwest crank is the only way to go, great work good pirce and excellant communication.

probably get it done this summer. just glad this guy sounds good and reasonable :) already been 2 lost seasons, whats one more. still have 4 sleds in the family, plenty to ride!

I ordered new bearings from VXB
IMG_1446.jpg

I added a little grease, Mobil XP222 (blue).
IMG_1447.jpg

AmatoSRX powder coated my Sc103 rear suspension for me.
IMG_1565.jpg

He does great work for a good price. I believe these were done the night I dropped them off. Pete (AmatoSRX) is VERY knowledgeable with SRXs and Banshees. He has the most beautiful custom SRX I have ever seen, I wish I would have snapped a picture to post! Very highly recomended!

I have the case assembled, water and oil pump installed. Don't tell but I used Honda-bond instead of Yamabond, its all my local place had.
IMG_1521.jpg

I am also rebuilding a Doo 800 for a friend. It is getting crank seals and pistons. Here is a comparison of the Viper and Doo Jugs.
IMG_1566.jpg

Good project! Truck was cool! Guy on the Yammi would be a good advertisement for Yamaha! Good day for a ride in the Jonboat.

Nice writeup on the build. One thing I'd like to clarify for you is that IS NOT an apex mtn seat. That seat would be from a Vector Mtn or something similar to it.

The ball hone I ordered came in today. 240 grit Aluminum Oxide is recomended for a plated cyl (per the BRM website). There is a thin oil in the parts washer. They turned out nice.

IMG_1596.jpg

SXlover said:
Nice writeup on the build. One thing I'd like to clarify for you is that IS NOT an apex mtn seat. That seat would be from a Vector Mtn or something similar to it.
Yes, this is what I have been hearing. Sorry, that was how it was listed on Ebay when I bought it. I think it is probably a Vector or RX1 now that I have been looking at them.

Back