700 sx

I bought a viper steering post for the sled didn't figure I'd put it in yet. But after about an hour and a half and two bloody knuckles, here is what I have.
2012-11-29030218.jpg

2012-11-29033243.jpg

2012-11-29034743.jpg

Well after I got it it out I found a couple of rub through spots and a lot of dirtyness. I've never been one to care if it was spotless under the Hood as long as it ran but damn was it dirty. Ill do some much needed cleaning before the engine goes back in. Ill post more pics as I go.

That won't fit either, the 97's had a smaller frame indent where the steering column passes by and can only fit the straight style post. A post from a 2000+ red head sled would work though and they are reinforced.

Is there anything I can do to make an srx post to work. The straight one rubs the float bowl if I don't put washers under my motor mounts because of my Reed spacers.

"Clearance" the tunnel for the new steering post. Professional way: Cut out the area and TIG weld or rivet in a new aluminum sheet that doesn't interfere with the new post. Redneck way: BFH aka. Big Hammer.

I tried to bend mine with a hammer but it didn't want to move, I didn't want to wreck the frame so I just shimmed the motor with 1/8" fender washers (1 per side) on the rear and that worked fine. This was using a 2000 sxr post which is a little bigger in diameter because it is reinforced. I am also running a boost bottle and reed spacers so all that was working against me but I have about 1/16" clearance from the center carb to the steering post. Do a search for boost bottle install and look for tricks used to clear the steering post.

Not sure what to say here but on my 02 sxr I put in an 01 srx steering post and it fits no problem. Only difference is the small bend which helps to clear carb bowl when running 38mm carbs.

I had washers inner the mounts all last year and it worked well. I just was wondering if I could ditch the washers and have the stronger post. Oh well ill look for an sxr one. If I don't feel like modifying the sled. Moved on from the post and started to wrap my pipes.
2012-11-29233828.jpg

I only did a half wrap. Also ran out of wrap so ill have to get more before I can finish.
I decided to Polish my clutch cover too.
2012-11-14005611.jpg

That looks great ;)!

On a side note, only the 97's had the weird tunnel with the small notch, the 98's had the larger notch since that is when the srx post came out. An srx/viper post should fit any proaction sled 98' plus but not the 97's.

2012-12-14021549.jpg
Got the engine all tore down tonight so I can replace the crank seals. Also picked up a 01 sxr post like musselman said, and a set of xtc long travel shocks that I got a hell of a deal on.

2012-12-14203105.jpg

Say good bye to the no action proaction. Getting ready for the extra 10.
2012-12-19022825.jpg

Also got the front suspension off and ready for the long travel shocks
2012-12-19032314.jpg

Also got the sxr steering post installed.

Well I've got an update for you guys. After I tore the engine down to replace the crank seals I saw that I had some pretty nasty scratches in two of the cylinders. So I called mrviper700 (Don) and chated with him for about an hour and a half and decided to send him the cylinders pistons and top half of the case. Turns out I needed to renickesil the two cylinders. But he's also going to port everything and were putting moded srx Reed blocks in, and were getting the pistons Teflon coated. He said with the triple pipes were looking at about 165hp. Sounds good to me.

Back