Check your drive bearings!

super1c said:
JD you wont mess up the seal. I use a very small screwdriver with a sharp tip. Then carfully slide it under the seal at the inner collar and pry up. If you bend the seal a little bit just lay it on a hard flat surface and pound flat with a rubber mallet. Ive been doing this to every bearing on every sled i have each season and never a problem. In fact most of the bearings still have nice blue grease in them the next season but i still clean and repac every year. I use a needle grease insert to get it in to the bearing well then fill the rest and replace the seals.
thanks chris!

Found this today...
IMG_0003_zpse164c5db.jpg

I hope those prices are for multiple bearings or their in peso's cause wow those are expensive bearings! The OEM bearings from Yamaha arent even that much

Any Links to a DIY on this ? My vmax 600 has a dead speedo i think it needs a bearing..... Ojoy.

I picked up some really nice quality bearings for my 97 Vmax 4 b/c restoring skid. Got some gold series bearings from USA bearings. They are bearings made for snowmobiles (outdoor use). They have a dbl seal. I got 15 bearings for skid and then three spedo bearings ( for Vmax-4's) 62-22-RS. All delivered was $60.00. If ordered from Yami it would have been well over 200. Got all circle clips from MFG supply online for $.99 each. Contact info for USA bearings is 863-248-8499. Order was received today and I'm really happy with quality. Have not tested yet but look nice!

I found the following on this page.
http://www.nmbtc.com/bearings/white-papers/bearing-importance-of-lubrication.html

Lubrication Methods

Grease packing to approximately one quarter to one third of a ball bearing's free volume is one of the most common methods of lubrication. Volumes can be controlled to a fraction of a percent for precision applications by special lubricators. In some instances, customers have requested that bearings be lubricated 100% full of grease. Excessive grease, however, is as detrimental to a bearing as insufficient grease. It causes shearing,heat buildup, unnecessarily high torque, and deterioration through constant churning which can ultimately result in bearing failure. Centrifuging an oil lubricated bearing removes excess oil and leaves only a very thin film on all surfaces. This method is used on very low torque bearings and can be specified by the customer for critical applications.

Another site for bearings is http://www.oembearingsupply.com/snowmobile-bearings.html No guess work here. Just got my first SRX 700 2001, they changed the left side bearing without a lock collar. Knowing they replaced the bearing due to no speedometer, at end of this season I tore it all apart to no lock collar bearing and worn out shaft, Really no lock collar bearing.

Last edited:
I picked up some really nice quality bearings for my 97 Vmax 4 b/c restoring skid. Got some gold series bearings from USA bearings. They are bearings made for snowmobiles (outdoor use). They have a dbl seal. I got 15 bearings for skid and then three spedo bearings ( for Vmax-4's) 62-22-RS. All delivered was $60.00. If ordered from Yami it would have been well over 200. Got all circle clips from MFG supply online for $.99 each. Contact info for USA bearings is 863-248-8499. Order was received today and I'm really happy with quality. Have not tested yet but look nice!
I just received my order from USABEARINGS. Everything I ordered was their PREMIUM line. All of their premium bearing have an ABEC rating of 3 or better. I can definately tell the difference between the non-rated cheepies , and these ABEC 3s. I always though that bearings were bearings. I was wrong. Look for bearings from any seller that is at least ABEC3. JMHO

Back