Cluching?s sx700r

63mod

Hey Guys,
I need some advise on my cluching. I have read about all of the posts on here and gained alot of good info , but I am fairly new to adjusting the clutching myself. I have a 2002 sx700r, 1 layer removed from the head gasket, reed spacers and v-force reeds, Bored silencer all done to the motor. I had maxximum perf install a clutch kit last year on this sled (worked great). After it was installed I put a 40 tooth gear on the bottom and a ripsaw track, and added it think 10* to the secondary. still worked good. Just installed a (maxx)roller secondary that I got off e-bay (never used) and the sled seems sluggish, and top speed has dropped about 15mph. the roller came with a 54/38 helix, I have it set at 70* (where it seemed the best) stock secondary spring, red maxx primary spring. I hit the throttle it goes up to 8100, then back down to 8000rpm and stay there, and is not very responsive in the trails. I would like to get the rpms up to around 8400? belt doesnt seem to be slipping and the cluches were just warm after running. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :rocks:

Taht helix doesn't sound right, and if it is, it's the wrong helix for your sled. I could see a 45/38, but not a 54...typo?

Either way, keep tightening your secondary until you reach your desired rpm, 8400. You're pretty close, 10 or 20 more degrees should get you there. Good luck!

I would say to take a sharpie marker and put lines on both clutches and go run it out. Then see where the belt ends up riding. Also call Maxx and ask them what to run for pri/sec springs and helix and twist. The weight profile in the pri might also need to be changed to take advantage of the roller. Your right near Maxx bring it over to them and they will hook you up in the parking lot. Doug

Way too much helix for that sled. It sounds about right for a strong running SRX but to make it work you gotta lighten up the primary & monkey around a lot. It will also kill you in deep snow; you sled does not have enuff hp & torque to use that much helix!!!

I also thought that it was alot of angle in that helix also. Turk I think your right it really seems like the motor can't pull it. Vmaxjohn I started at 80*, then tried 90* and it seemed like it was burning the belt(sliping?), so I tried going the other way and was the best at 70*, which is what was actually recommended on the sheet that maxx sent the original owner. I did mark the clutches actually and it was runnin higher in the primary with 90*and I did get more top speed at 90* but was more sluggish on the bottom end.
What would you guys recommend for a set-up, also what would you recommend for aftermarket adjustable weights for the primary(so I can really expiriment).
Plan on calling over to maxx(bought the sled from them, always been very happy with them) but thought I would educate myself a little more before I call them. Thanks 63mod :yam:

Nice catch, miss spell, its a 2000 sx700r. I guess that I was just wishing it was a couple of years newer. Can't complain a bit though :beer: had an arctic cat before this, and am much happier with the YAMAHA. :beer:

You gotta lighten up the primary weights....a lot!!!!!

Back