studs

srxguy

Quick question...I asked this once before awhile back but I forgot it......I have a 02 srx and was wondering what lenght studs I can put on it, it has the stock track that came with it....was it 1.025 inchs???...Thanks for the help

Its probably not recomended to run that size studs in a .92 track but I did for 2000 trouble free miles and the hook up was crazy good.-Harvey

It is not from what I read, It is from a lot of tracks I have studded and ridin on. I run 1.080 on my 1" track! My studs stick out about 3/8 of an inch. With these studs installed, they would be clear over 1/2 and that much penetration is to much and will tear out much sooner. This is especiallly bad for trail riders because if that stud ever catches a stone or something it will rip out. I would never recommend going that high. That studs is just too tall and WILL tear out MUCH sooner them a 1.080. Running a stud that tall will probably cut your track life in half.

wa wa wa, I forgot how much experience a 15 year old has. I have had enough yamahas with the .92 yoko to know. (1) 1999 SRX (2) 2000 SRX's (1)2001 SRX (1) 2001 SXR700. All sleds ran the 1.175 woody's with out any trouble. 99 had 2000 miles with no pull outs. (1) 00 srx had 3200 miles with no pull outs. (1) 2000 srx has 10,000 miles, First yoko track lasted 5400 miles with one pull out, second track went 4200 miles with no pull outs and has since been installed in a 97 700 sx. 2001 SRX 2700 miles, one pull out. 01 SXR700 has 3898 miles with no pull outs. All are trail sleds. Hook up is great and stud life on the woody's has been excellent also. Go with the 1.175's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree I run 1.175 in my srx also no problem!!! That's what Matt at the speed shop also recommends!!!!! Go 1.175

Maddogs, I really dont know why age always has to come in to play when you are defending yourself. I have probably studded more tracks then you even though I am 15. Every track that we run on all of our sleds and all of our customers sleds and all of our employees sleds, I have studded. I have studded well over 50 tracks in my life and have never had problems with our studs pulling out. I started riding sleds when I was 2 years old and I have worked on sleds since I was five. You may be ble to get away with running that high of a stud but it is very rarely recommended. Also, make sure you are running a lot of studs if you are running that tall of a stud because there will be too much horsepower per stud because they will have to much leverage on the stud making it much easier to tear out. Also make sure that if you are going to run studs of that length on this track that you have HUGE backers. It is much easier to be on the safe side when coming to studs. It is obvious that the shorter the stud, the longer the track is going to last. I am recommending this length stud because I always recommend things to customers or people on the internet that is going to cost them less in the long run and perform just as well as the longer stud.

Why take the chance of tear outs when you can get equal performance with a shorter stud.

Last edited:
2ooosrx said:
I checked our books and they recommend a 1" stud.

Like I said, something you read. Have you ever ran 1.175 studs in a .92 track?????????????? If not, then you have no expierence with this combo. I however do, and it works. Also if you have done so many tracks, then you must have done that combo somewhere along the line. 24,000+ miles is enough to know that 1.175's work and work well.

By the way 2000, if you think the 1" work so great, imagine what you are missing by not running the 1.175's.

2000srx, equal performance with a shorter stud, NOT. It does make a difference on what length but installed properly and their will be no problem. You may have a tendancy to bend a few with 1.175 but I've ran both [1.075 & 1.175 and the 1.175 hook up better. Recommendations are sometimes opinions.

Maddogs, I never said that the 1.175 wont work well. They have to work well because they are long studs. Like I said I am more for the longer lasting tracks and trying to save money and it is impossible to argue that the 1.175 will have the track last longer because that is false. As far as me using that combination, I have not because I always go on the safe side. That little bit of better performance is not worth it to me. If you are racing on ice anyway, you are going to burn up you hyfax in a hurry. If it works for you, great but I would rather be safe then throw a blown track in the garbage. The main problem that was brought up was the bending of the studs and as soon as a stud bends, it is basically usless because the carbide tip or steel tip will not puncture the ice for track, however, not a big deal if a stud bends.

Maybe you just don't get it! Over 5000 miles on a yoko track with 1.175 studs. Seems like decent life for any track with studs! As far as bending studs, I have bent the short .75 studs we used to run on the old 87 phasers. Oh ya, you wouldn't remember then since you were not born yet!

Might as well add my 2 cents! I put 144 1.075 woody's in my 02 srx. Guess what I wish I would have went with 1.175 woody's. The srx needs all the traction help it can get.

Maddogs700srx said:
Maybe you just don't get it! Over 5000 miles on a yoko track with 1.175 studs. Seems like decent life for any track with studs! As far as bending studs, I have bent the short .75 studs we used to run on the old 87 phasers. Oh ya, you wouldn't remember then since you were not born yet!

Dude, honestly, calm down, I am not trying to cause an argument or anything, I already said I didn't disagree with you, I just recommend the shorter stud for longer track life. It is all up to what you want, better performance or longer lasting. You always have to give up one if you want the other. II will not disagree that 5000 miles is a long time but it would have been longer if you ran the 1.080 studs as long as they were installed the same way NO MATTER WHAT! ANd the 1.175 will give better performance no matter what. But honestly calm down.

Last edited:
Will the 1.175 clear the tunnel ok?...I am planing on running 192 or more if needed picks and chiesles....I want to run 1000 ft times on a lake.....Thanks again for all the help

You may want to consider a shorter lug track like a .75 (still decent for some trail riding) And running shorter studs. Just don't forget that more studs does not mean a faster sled!

Back