Fuel shut off

tommyt5078

I installed a fuel shut off valve today. Now I take it for a ride and I'm going down this trail at 70 and it dies, does anybody know what is happening? It started right back up! I bought a cheap one from a local yamaha dealer, they said that they use this one all the time! Does it look like I put it in the right spot? I know it's in the off posistion in the picture, I took the picture after I made sure it worked.

Thanks
-Tom

Attachments

• Fuel shut off 001.jpg
    Fuel shut off 001.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Shut off is probably too small. In two strokes a 1/4" shut off is limited to 300cc's or less.

Oh Great! I just installed a shutoff in mine and it is a 1/4". Am I hearing that I will have fuel starvation problems with my SRX700?

Why the fuel shut off's anyway's? Have you guys had issues or something? I have a 00 srx with 10,000+ miles and never even considered one. I'm not saying a 1/4" will not work, its just that they are listed for 300CC's and lower.

I have a standard polaris type shut-off on mine and it works great. Your shut off may be necked down at the valve apeture restricting flow.

That LOOKS like the same valve my dealer gave me for my SRX last week. It's been working fine for me. I've used it for approx 175 miles without any issues. My sled has been impossible to start in cold weather after trailering 5+ hours. After tearing apart the carbs and finding nothing wrong the dealer thinks that it's getting flooded while bouncing around on the trailer. We shall see if it makes a difference.

vice108,
Your post is ambiguous. So your starting problems were before or after you installed a shut off?

Sounds like he was having that problem before the shut off was installed and is hoping that the newly installed shut off valve will eliminate the problem.

My SRX has had real hard starting (sometimes No starting) issues since I've had it. It has always occured after trailering in very cold weather. Last week I trailered 6 hours to Fort Kent. In the morning it was -15 F and I couldn't get it started at all. I was so fed up that I brought it to a Yamaha dealer in Caribou and told them of this continuing problem. They took the carbs off and said that they looked perfect. Everything was fine but the sled was loaded up with fuel. The mechanic believes that all of the bouncing around on the long trailer ride is causing the motor to flood before I even try to turn it over. When it's 15 or 20 below it doesn't take much flooding for the motor to not want to fire. They installed a shutoff valve that looks identical to the one pictured in the begining of this post. I have run the sled approx 175 miles since it was installed with no issues.

SledBoy said:
vice108,
Your post is ambiguous. So your starting problems were before or after you installed a shut off?

That red shutoff is too small. If you look close it's not for motors rated for more than 25HP. I had the same one on my SXR and it was acting real funny. I never gave the shutoff a second thought. One day at the dealers when the counter was busy I was reading the boxes with different fuel shutoffs in them. There was the one I had and the box said not to use on a 2-stroke with more than 25 HP. I went home pulled it off and put my stock hose back on. Guess what, My sled stopped loosing RPM on long runs. I was starving it for fuel. I bought the Yamaha shutoff but it does not fit where I want i to fit so I am not running one any more. Doug

I don't know if thats the exact one I have or not, but it looks the same. I don't have the sled here right now to measure it. As the mechanic was installing mine I specifically asked him about it effecting fuel flow. He said it would be fine. As I mentioned before I've put around 175 miles on it including several 115 MPH runs on Eagle Lake without any fuel starvation issues. I hope it's the right size - you all have me nervous now.

NY_SXR700 said:
That red shutoff is too small. If you look close it's not for motors rated for more than 25HP. I had the same one on my SXR and it was acting real funny. I never gave the shutoff a second thought. One day at the dealers when the counter was busy I was reading the boxes with different fuel shutoffs in them. There was the one I had and the box said not to use on a 2-stroke with more than 25 HP. I went home pulled it off and put my stock hose back on. Guess what, My sled stopped loosing RPM on long runs. I was starving it for fuel. I bought the Yamaha shutoff but it does not fit where I want i to fit so I am not running one any more. Doug
:WayCool:

My 2002' Viper owners manual advises to not trailer with over a half of tank of fuel. It goes on to say that you can vaper lock the engine. If the sled will not start after trailering, it recomends that you pull the plugs and take a few pulls on the starter rope. Then re-install the plugs and it should fire. I have a friend with a 2002' Viper that has been through this routine and says that it works. I may find out first hand next week as I will have trailered my sled 17 hours with a fuel tank over 3/4 full.
G.B.

Here is the type of shut-off that you should be using . . .

smavalve0000-500.jpg

Any dealer that sells you the other type is misinformed . . .

I had a long discussion with the Yammie dealer here (Rosenau) regarding this. The feeling of the mechanics was that it WAS possible on long runs to starve the engine if you are using a 1/4" valve.

"If you are hauling along and all of a sudden she starts running like she never ran before, :ORC SHUT DOWN! The engine is leaning out and could soon melt down."

Unfortunately, I had already drilled a hole in my dash to mount this unit - the one in this thread is the exact one I purchased. The only 5/16 ones I could find anywhere were inline only. I'm heading out this weekend to sled, and I'll monitor the engine closely with this valve installed.

When I return, I am going to research alternatives to this unit as I don't need no meltdown!

Bottom line: Use caution!! :rockon:

Back