Fuel shut off

Did you install the plastic valve at the top of this thread or the metal 90 degree valve further down in the thread? Let us know how it works out.

jvizzacc said:
I had a long discussion with the Yammie dealer here (Rosenau) regarding this. The feeling of the mechanics was that it WAS possible on long runs to starve the engine if you are using a 1/4" valve.

"If you are hauling along and all of a sudden she starts running like she never ran before, :ORC SHUT DOWN! The engine is leaning out and could soon melt down."

Unfortunately, I had already drilled a hole in my dash to mount this unit - the one in this thread is the exact one I purchased. The only 5/16 ones I could find anywhere were inline only. I'm heading out this weekend to sled, and I'll monitor the engine closely with this valve installed.

When I return, I am going to research alternatives to this unit as I don't need no meltdown!

Bottom line: Use caution!! :rockon:

Ding - do you know what size that valve it? What about the size of the plastic valve?

Thanks

Ding said:
Here is the type of shut-off that you should be using . . .

smavalve0000-500.jpg

Any dealer that sells you the other type is misinformed . . .

It comes in either size . . .

It is not as much the outlet size that is the problem as the internal valve type and size. Use the valve that matches your gas lines, unless you are already at the limit of your gas lines. Valves are always more restrictive than the size of line they are built for. This is something well known by most plumbers.

For a test hook both valves up to a container of water, open the valves, and then let the water gravity flow through the valves. You will see a significant difference between the two valve types. (be sure to blow the water out before using the valve for fuel)

I had one of those exact shutoffs in a sled once and it rattled apart all the time and I took it out. I have never really saw a fuel shutoff I liked yet. How about just a small pair of vice grips to pinch the fuel line? I also have never needed one and always trailer with the sled full and ready.

For what it's worth I showed the plastic shutoff (same one pictured at the top of this thread) to the mechanics at my local Yamaha dealer today (Reynolds Motor sports). They said that those valves work fine and flow plenty of fuel. They went on to say that the only benefit of the metal yamaha valve sold through the accessory catalog is that it's more durable. I'll probably still install the metal one just in case.

I used the metal Yamaha fuel shut off on a 02 & 04 Viper, in the same area as you did. They worked fine on both sleds, no problems at all. I used to ride Polaris and they always had fuel shut off valves. Maybe Yamaha sleds don't need them, but I trailer for long distances and feel safer with the fuel turned off.
:beer:

Back