stuck and stripping allen bolts

I need some advice on a topic which seems to come up on a few forums: the allen bolts on what I think is called the recoil housing or recoil catch (my manual arrives tomorrow... I'm going by what i read online and this is my first sled.. a 1999 MM 700 with a few seized bolts).

I've got a wheel balancer puller for the next step but this step is killing me as it's so easy for my allen bit socket to turn half way into the head of the allen bolt, which seems pretty soft. I've tried heating with a torch and I've got an impact driver as well as an electrical impact wrench. I've seen suggestions of jamming a torx bit in there, but unfortunately the right size to jam into the 5mm allen head would be T35 (T30 is not tight enough) which I can't seem to find (it's only Torx plus I hear).

I'm thinking if I keep trying I make the bolt head a little worse every time. The bolts aren't ruined yet. I have sprayed penetrating oil, 24 hours ago, maybe it's not long enough, but I've also read that it won't reach the threads... or is that for different bolts.

BTW this is for replacing a crankshaft. I guess this means I don't need to worry about ruining bearings..

Careful with those puller bolts. If you thread in to far you will damage stator. Compare threads that come out when threading puller bolts in. When re-assembling use blue loc-tite.

Hammer and chisel did it (took tons of patience though). It was the 3 bolts on the starter pulley. I replaced them but may not have loc-tited. As for a puller, I used the drill 3 holes in a piece of wood trick and returned the puller to Canadian Tire. Now I have other problems... will post those soon. (Edit: sorry for being such a late comer to my own thread ~)

Last edited:

Back