98 Msrx 700 gearing down for the deep stuff

Look at the outside of the track. Somewhere there will be a # molded into the rubber. Usually near where the manufactures logo is molded in. I don't have a pic handy. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll try and get you a sample picture.

your parts sled's skid is going to be your new base line skid once you figure out what length your new track is going to be.

i couldnt really draw a full conclusion based on the emailed pictures, but the aftermarket drop brackets as well as the mounting locations being moved in the tunnel were some good clues. it almost appears as though the mount points on the rails have been altered as well. thats not a bad thing, more so for the good.

from here, using the parts sled, we need some measurements where its mounted in the tunnel based on some set points as well as some figuring out whats been done to those rails. using that skid is going to make your life much easier.

Ok so what measurements do you need I still haven't pulled it inside but will soon, how do I check if all is well on that spare skid shocks bearings etc... And also I know that my suspension now is really stiff for mountain riding what is recommended tight or loose? And I think I would like to eventually throw a two wheel kit on I think the looks of it are great I know sliders may get sacrificed but I have a spare lol! I just broke my ice scratchers off so I have to be careful in the snow around home there isn't much left

you will probably just have to inspect things to rule out any worn parts, but between the two skids you should have plenty of parts to play with.

for now, i am interested in the distances the skid was moved back in the tunnel. this on the spare sled. in addition, i need to see whats been done to the rails so the front set of bogies attached to the rails need to come off. somethings been altered up there, just need to see and guess.

i run soft on the rear of rear shock and stiff on the front of the skid. not knowing what you have now makes it difficult, but there are several adjustments you can make. as for the two wheel set up, theres enough parts between the two sleds to make your own. a two wheel kit should have no effect on your hyfax wear.

what were you using for scratchers? broken sounds like mtn performance ones, went through several sets of those. i have yet to wear or break the holtz style. much better quality than mpi.

Ok so where would you like me to measure from I still haven't pulled the sled inside but I will this weekend I'm probably gonna try swapping skids this weekend if possible with your help, you mean the two bogie wheels at the front I'm assuming? I will pull them and post more pics once inside, I am looking to get rid of this parts sled and pull anything tht it salvageable any though onto what I should keep I will take photos of the entire sled and email then to you and post a link here I have alot of spare parts with this sled and would be looking to sell some if possible, how do I go about that just post what I have on the srx side of Ty?

I have no idea what brand the scratchers were they were on there when I bought it and it broke off without them being out and used so that kinda sucked! I will look into better ones sometime soon aswell

Thanks again

i am just curious as to where the skid is currently mounted in the tunnel. you can use the steering hoop at the tunnel connection for a reference or drive axle center to current skid mounts in the tunnel for numbers.

also interested to see if the mount on the rails have been altered. the grinding off of the rail rib is a dead give away that something has been done, unless that was a mount for an ice scratcher.

keep the pics coming via email, and if you feel like it, send pics of whats left of your broken scratchers just for fun.

Ok I emailed you a few more photos with a tape measure in there. Been riding tho ol girl all weekend bcuz it just snowed alot here so haven't been tinkering much. Engine rebuild seems to be perfect lots of power an runs real smooth, I noticed my one slider is on its way out so I have to change that soon I think ill wait til we figure out something for this skid. Only gonna get out couple few more times anyway til season end.

So I brought the parts sled inside And have mine and it a good once over, the parts sleds skid had definitely been altered in some way and there is a makeshift tunnel extension on there, here is what boggles me though I found the numbers you guys are referring to and did some research, my sled has a 141" track on it for sure and the parts sled track is
Actually a 144" numbers moulded in track verified this one hundred percent. What I don't get is the tunnel extension on the parts sled and the. It doesn't appear to have rail extensions though, from what I was told this skid is the factory yamaha and my sled has aftermarket parts, I am gonna pull parts sled apart and get the track and skid on my bench to do a good inspection, do you have any opinion as to which skid I should use? An also how could he get the factory yamaha up to 144" without extensions?

It appears to have alot better of an approach angle then my sled so maybe it was altered for 2000 and up style? I am not sure what to do now I had no idea mine was a 141 and parts sled was 144 what am I gonna have to do to make this work? Also the parts sled does not have a drop and roll chain case but mine does. Am I going to need any parts or extensions to make this happen or what's your take on that. Once I get it pulled ill take some more pics but I want to make sure I share all info and pics and get responses before I rip the track and skid out of parts sled so time will tell here ill wait for your response and go from there. Kind of excited to actually run a 144" now seeing as though it should make a difference.

Would there be a chance that the pitch of the drivers on the parts sled is different? I did not count the tooth drivers but I can I'm not sure of it will be different or not

One more quick note, I am not sure what stock yamaha sizes are
For these sleds and whether the mountain srx had a longer stock or not but I would like to find out to be honest I'm not really sure what sleds I'm dealing with here with so many mixed and matched parts it's tough I know mine has a aftermarket tunnel on it and I think the parts sled is stock I was told its a. 98 but judging by what I've already figured I don't really know what to believe.

the stock msrx had a 136 track with the old geometry. that set up in your parts skid has been updated, most likely using 144 rails from a mtn viper. i will measure a 144 rail for comparison. key on that skid, it has much more going for it than the one your currently running.

144 should be the same pitch(2.52). just measure the distance from one window to the next or one drive lug to the next for confirmation. the fact your existing tunnel is aftermarket and has the d&r makes no difference, its all measurements from the drive axle back.

if you choose to run the 144, its just a matter of relocating it into your tunnel. you will only need backing plates(1/8" aluminum) and bolts or rivets to secure them.

enjoy the snow while it lasts, this will be a great off season project for you. if your hyfax are borderline, i would consider a change out before you ruin the track or rails. that track could be a good selling item.

Msrx

98 MSRX has W arm with 136 rails. H arm on 2000 MMaxs. 141 up. You can use the w arm on 141 rails by changing the L brackets on the rails but you can not use the H arm on the older mmax pre 2000 or MSRX. The stock W arm mount point is in front of the steering hoop and the newer suspensions 141 on is 7" further back

Ok I'm gonna pull the track a d skid from the parts sled tonight, I'm not to concerned about the hyfax it's worn it one spot only bout an inch wide ya there bad and need replaced but the track on my sled now is destroyed alot of lugs missing and you can see the strings under the rubber alot I've been thinking its just gonna blow up on me but hasn't yet so ill keep it til end of season I went to pull the sliders out and the screw at the front is ground right down virtually no screw head left so that's another project I'm probably only gonna rip once or twice more ill take my chances ( fingers crossed) probably not the smartest choice but I have the other skid waiting to be used so ill take the risk. My tracks destroyed anyway that would be my main concern but she's already toast

Any more pics or measurement you need?

Do I need to get a tunnel extension in order to make that track work? I'm gonna rip it out Tomorow and get some practice on parts sled before taking mine on in a while here

Thanks again

putting the 144 under the ekholm tunnel wont require an extension, although you may occasionally such the snow flap into the skid.

i will dig out my notes and see what we need.

Ok sounds good gonna take another trip to fernie bc this weekend then after that I think ill start ripping some stuff apart and call it a season

Back