121 viper to 136 or 144?

Agpetro

Wondering if I should go with a 136 or 144 on my viper. Going to upgrade to a mono skid and wonder which would be better. Thanks

I went to a hartmann 136 and love it. My dream setup is a 136 mono xtx skid relocated on the tunnel to fit a 144. Chris Im sure will post too. He did a couple on his sleds.

JDViper said:
I went to a hartmann 136 and love it. My dream setup is a 136 mono xtx skid relocated on the tunnel to fit a 144. Chris Im sure will post too. He did a couple on his sleds.

Yea I saw both those vipers chris put to 144. They look sick. I ride a lot of trails but also like to play in the snow too.

I stretched mine to a 144 with Hartman extensions/relocation kit & love it. I also ride in northern MI. All my buddies said good luck with a 144 on the trail, but they were wrong. I'm sure Chris will jump on here and agree. Sled rides like a champ, plus when we hit deep snow, guess whos haulin thru it? haha!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! The 144's with tip ups have been amazing on and off trail. They corner and handle as good or better on trail then 121" and are more then enough off. We were in some deep snow this past weekend in the woods and they stayed on top just fine. In fact the only one that got stuck. Was me when I fell off in a ditch in heavy snow past my waist. Indecisive HAHA! I would do the mono to 144. I like his thinking of a 136 relocated to 144 but then you cant run the tip ups. I think the tip ups are the key to keeping the 121 feel in the trail.

Tracks USA only makes their 144 extensions tipped up I believe. The 136's are straight. Tom Hartman only makes his straight. His reasoning is that you lose traction from the rear of the track with it tipped up. Its probably more noticeable in deep stuff, but I think for trail it would be fine. Mine is a 144 w/ straight extensions, & I can't tell a difference when cornering from when it was a 121. But I'm also not doing hairpin turns either.

You can see in this photo of the nytro xtx that the back of the rail tips up 6deg. This alows the sled to still handle like a 121 but gives you the full 144 in the powder.

Attachments

• nytro xtx pic (800x338).jpg
    nytro xtx pic (800x338).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 24
I was wondering if thats what you guys were talking about. I think im going to go 144 then. Idk which one to go with. Straight or tip'd up. Thinking on running a 1.25x144in ripsaw studded since I like my 1.25x121in ripsaw thats studded on my viper right know.

The difference between 136" and 144" not much(works out to one more lug on the trail/in the snow) I have a 136" on a viper with 3degree tip up and a ripsaw. Off trail i follow my brother(sapling killer) anywhere he goes with his rx1 warrior 144" with skid relocate to 151". Biggest difference for of trail is a good set of skis(i have yamaha mountain skis 8" wide) and good clutching. Overall flotation (ski's and track) mixed with good clutching will get you lots of places. My viper 136" is better off trail than my 05 Warrior same track on both and same ski's. The vipers clutching will let me creep in the deep while the warriors will not. It all comes down to personal preference .

If you do go 144 give no studs a try and see how you like it. The longer track really bites, but I am running the cobra. I know you can find a lot of nytro 144x1.25 take offs for cheap. Port Yamaha was selling them for $300 new in the discount section not to long ago. My vote is for 144 and tip ups, you will love it. If you trail ride at all this is the way to go, x 2 on the skis also. Love my razors 6" wide, on and off trail they float nice too. If you need any help or wana talk out some ideas hit me up, glad to help. You won't be disappointed either way.

Thanks guys for the advice. I was going to look into getting a new sr viper this fall but yea thats not going to happen. Why not just make my 03 a long track is what l've been thinking. A lot less money then a new sled. Chris I probably will be getting ahold of you sometime. Have a feeling i'm going to do a wide tunnel conversion too. Looks like I have a summer project lined up now. :2strokes:

Thats great to hear. Was thinking I might need a different bottom gear and being reverse that gear is not cheap. Looks like I need to find a mono 136 now. I was reading somewhere on here that a mono 121 to 144 will not work right so 136 is what i need.

Last edited:

Back