121 viper to 136 or 144?

I had a Predator track on my SRX years back and it was also breaking up bad,mind you I always pin it...but for the money tracks cost,they better take abuse..so far I won't touch the Ripsaw and Predator tracks again..Kimpex is still humming for me..not a tear or break anywhere and I give her when I ride.Kimpex makes a 1.25 shotgun track which should be good as well..

bluemonster1 said:
so how do you like the Cobra track with the 136 skid??I think the Cobra lugs are a tad higher then the 1.25 ripsaw.Do the lugs stand up better then a ripsaw?My ripsaw 121-1.25 has had a lot of torn lugs,really don't like that track at all.I actually took a sharp utility knife and trimmed all the lugs to 1 inch so they all match.
I like it a lot and its better than the Ripsaw in every way. This track hooks like crazy and makes the sled feel a lot faster even in the midrange so I obviously had a lot of spin even underway with the old Ripsaw. The Cobra track has worn quite a bit more than my Ripsaw did. I've put about 1500 miles on the Cobra so far, no torn lugs, but it has wear on the lugs for sure and most of the little nubs are gone.I don't see any way I'll get 8000 miles out of this track like I did with my Ripsaw......

I have over 2k on my ripsaw with no wear at all. Still looks like the day I got it. All three of them on our sleds look new. Mines coming off this summer for the long track. Might have to start a building log for it when I get to long tracking it.

Ding said:
I have seen a ton of ripsaw tracks and can tell you the one pictured above was abused. Likely spun on pavement, or in the rocks. While some tracks tolerate this better than a ripsaw, they all can be torn up.

I ride really agressive.. I mean really really agressive.
I ride on really nice trails never ever ever spin track on roads ever.
I don't know how old the track is because I bought it used, it could of been on its last legs... I also put on 3500km this season.
I do like the ripsaw my father has one on his rx1 and with 2500km on it I still looks like new.

bluemonster1 said:
I had a Predator track on my SRX years back and it was also breaking up bad,mind you I always pin it...but for the money tracks cost,they better take abuse..so far I won't touch the Ripsaw and Predator tracks again..Kimpex is still humming for me..not a tear or break anywhere and I give her when I ride.Kimpex makes a 1.25 shotgun track which should be good as well..

Hey blue do you have a 1 inch ultimate? how's the lug and stud clearance for the srx? I found a nice srx with reverse but the track could be replaced.

O2viper700 said:
Hey blue do you have a 1 inch ultimate? how's the lug and stud clearance for the srx? I found a nice srx with reverse but the track could be replaced.
yep the 1 inch Ultimate traxtion by Kimpex.It is a super tough track.I used 1.075 studs with it,just make sure your protectors are on the front..

P9170145.jpg

Last edited:
I drive off trail mostly, and i have to travel over ice which is slushy at times, and i was thinking getting an extension from 121 to 144, but im nervous of using a bolt on extension, any thoughts guys?

just did mine from 121 to 144 with extensions from Tracks USA..quality product,nice fit.Works awesome,took it for a little ride a few days ago..awesome hookup and pulls good as well..really stays on top of the snow and carves nicely.

Im going with track usa on my viper. All I need to do is find a 121mono and then order the kit from track usa and its show time.

I want to get a mono for my viper and was curious can you only get them 121 or can they come 136? which years fit and is it only apex or do other sleds fit also? Thanks, David

Last edited:
Might want to start a new post, but the mono came in several lengths when you count the 2nd gen skids. If you are going 136 I would get the 136 mono if you can, but the 121 can be converted. The 136 uses a separately mounted idler shaft behind the rear carrier wheels. For 144 you might consider other skids especially if you ride mostly off-trail, but you can add the extensions.

You should be able to find old posts about this using the Search function.

My Viper had a mono from a '06 Attak in it. I replaced it with a newer 136" mono from an '08 Apex and used the Apex brackets as well. Pretty sure most all the hardware was the same from the Attak to Apex, at least I couldn't tell the diference. But the only thing that really did change was the overall location of the skid and rear upper idler shaft. I also added TracksUSA rail extensions to go 144". Wouldn't have it any other way quite frankly. Next I'm going to change out front drivers to extros, then big wheel the rear idlers to 9". Currently running a 144x15x1.6 cobra track and am loving it! One last detail is I'm going to increase the upper rear idler size from 5.25" to something closer to 6" as this will raise the track off the rear arm slides, which keep the track off the shock eye. Track is barely touching those slides now cuz I run a really loose track, but I just want to eliminate friction points.

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I've been pleasantly surprised and very impressed with how my rear suspension setup has handled in this deep CO snow too. Currently running a Fox Mega Float at 150 psi, but going to increase to 165-170 psi because I let'er rip up and over a 15ft cornice yesterday and buried the suspension pretty good right in the midst of the upslope.

My Viper had a mono from a '06 Attak in it. I replaced it with a newer 136" mono from an '08 Apex and used the Apex brackets as well. Pretty sure most all the hardware was the same from the Attak to Apex, at least I couldn't tell the diference. But the only thing that really did change was the overall location of the skid and rear upper idler shaft. I also added TracksUSA rail extensions to go 144". Wouldn't have it any other way quite frankly. Next I'm going to change out front drivers to extros, then big wheel the rear idlers to 9". Currently running a 144x15x1.6 cobra track and am loving it! One last detail is I'm going to increase the upper rear idler size from 5.25" to something closer to 6" as this will raise the track off the rear arm slides, which keep the track off the shock eye. Track is barely touching those slides now cuz I run a really loose track, but I just want to eliminate friction points.

Sweet set up! Must perform amazing!
I have the 136" 1.35 Cobra on my sled and I just simply adore it! Best track ever for my applications. Next sled will be a long track Apex with atleast a track like mine or even better a 144", 1.6" lug Cobra like yours!

Last edited:

Back