I just don't get it

BryanF721

Have a 00 SXR700, put hauck pipes and a hauck 4 clutch kit. It feels strong and all, but only in the mid-range, just doesn't seem like a lot of power difference, I don't know if its the clutching that needs to be tweaked in or what. And it won't go no faster then like 96 or 97 m.p.h.. Just wondering if anybody could help me out here. I ride my buddy's zrt600 cat and it feels like its got way more power, I just don't get it. When we race, he gets the jump on me every time and don't really want to admit the outcome of the race. Other then that we rode all weekend in grand marais and the trails were great. Bryan

Recap all that you have done (details) . . . Include what testing has been done so far.

When we did the pipes,I called haucker this what I got. he carbs at 150 mains, needles- pto 3, 4, mag 4. and then pilots-stock, air 1.2 turns out and mixture 1 and1/2 out. Now we could only find one more adjustment screw in the carbs, not knowing if its the mixture screw or the air screw. So we just 1 and 1/2 turns out. Also I have a 196 spikes too if that means anything. And then the clutches is the hauck clutch 4 kit. It came with a red spring for the secondary and a black spring and some weights for the primary. Also came with two shims said one would raise to 4400 or two would raise to 4800. So I put both shims in and it enguages at like 4500. don't understand that much neither. Also have the helix that came with set at 9 and 1. Thanks, Bryan

Last edited:
Seems like it run rich too, was going to jet down too 147.5, but am not sure if its the mains the need work something else in the carbs. Not rich like I'm fouling plugs alot, but alot more then I used too. Thanks again, Bryan

Check your plug color when riding, I have almost the same setup and the plugs are almost too white/lean. Do not go any leaner. I run a 1 3/8 deep lug track like the new sno-pro pattern and my top end was sucking last year too. I never saw more than 90, but was having some issues with overshifting on top end and pulling the r's down to 8700-8800 and a mid-range bog when cruising at 40 and I think it was a lean bog, so I went to 50 pilots and a roller secondary. Haven't had enough snow yet to test the changes yet... The thing will foul plugs if I don't let it warm up really well when first starting. Don't touch the throttle to keep it running, just give a little choke. Mine is really cold blooded even with the idle screw (on the bottom of the carb behind the float bowl) turned out 2 turns. I'd like to find out where all the top speed went on mine too. There is another guy NYSXR700 who has his running 110 on gps with the same setup as ours, but shorter 1 1/4 lug track, so that is frustrating to me too. Mine is a monster out of the hole and up to 90 then people start catching me....

Where do you ride? I've got the same set up om my 00 sxr700 but I believe i've got 146.5 mains with a tempaflow. I'll have to find my notes. Jettings about perfect for N MI. As close as I want to get it anyway.
I had the same problem with top speed. loosened up the twist on the helix two settings and it solved the problem. ;)!

you guys need to try 14.5 mm rollers in them sxr's. It needs the force to keep the sheaves closed on top end.

I thought the smaller rollers mostly affected the upshift upon acceleration as it lets the weight come out further, thus creating force sooner, lowering engagement rpm and better holeshot, but actually less top end. I've read other posts reporting decreased top end with smaller rollers.

Forgot to answer: I live in SW Minnesota at approx. 1400 feet elevation. I just stuck with recommended jetting from Hauck except going up on the pilot as the plugs look horribly lean when cruising and ditch banging. I even tried 152.5 mains with no loss in top end rpm's. I would have what acted like a lean bog when cruising for a few seconds at partial throttle and then when I wacked the throttle open it would bog and sound hollow like it ran out of fuel. I'd have to come to a full stop and restart to get it to come out of it. I suspected clutching and went to a roller clutch this year as someone else who has this setup said that fixed their problem, but they also went with a tempa flow at the same time.

I might be wrong here, but a lean bog in mid range means a needle change, not pilots. I'm just starting to learn carbs too, so ask it in a main ? on the tech info site to get the correct answer. Maxdlx

I only decided to do the pilot change after calling Tom Hartman who said they have had the same prolbems and going up 1-2 pilot sizes cleared up the problem as the pilot is always delivering fuel throughout the rpm range.

i have the hauck simons pipes as well, and run 150's with a tempa flow, needles at #2, #4, #3 from pto to mag, fuel screws out to 2 1/4 turns. Setup performs very well. For clutching i am running the stock weights with the stock rollers and stock springs, with a 51/43 and 4.5 in the outer hole.

Something just struck me. Someone on this thread mentioned that they were revving 8600-8700.. Now if that guy is running the cpr/hauck pipes, no wonder he won't get past 90. That guy who is getting 110 is running at 9100-9300 rpm's.. hope this was helpful? :flag:

My problem was that it would pull 9000 to 9100 in a drag, but when running down the river at cruising speed and then wacking it open it would only pull 8800 rpm's. Either overshifting or what I think is a horribly lean midrange overheating the motor a bit, yet rich enough at wide open. Along with a 1 3/8 paddle track it was all it could do to get 90 mph.

Hey Guys, I don't want to over look the obvious and maybe I missed it. We have not heard about plain old set up...got transfer rods? Things like track tension, Limiter strap settings , etc. will all help in respect to hole shot and top end.

I have a 2001 SX-R700 and have done a ton of reseacrh on my own and with the great advice from these guys on TY CHAT. These guys are on the money with their comments. Fact is unless you satrt getting into true engine mods, these sleds just don't get much over 100mph. All the mods I have done really punch up the mid range as you have stated but still a little light on top end.

Work on getting out of the hole to give you the initial leap, the strong mid range should carry you through......and make sure you end the race before you get to 100MPH :)

have you done the reed notch or do you have spacers on that machine. This will clean up some mid range. Also removing one layer of the head gasket will give you better throttle responce. Does not change top end but may give you the responce you need or are looking for.
Check the tech page for Turks set up.

if you want top end you gotta mess with that clutching, engine mods themselves aren't going to do much for top end

You're not telling us what rpm you're running out there. Your tip weight might be too heavy or maybe the secondary spring needs moved some..

if the secondary isn't slipping the belt, don't tighten the secondary. You only want to tighten the secondary to raise rpm's in a pinch. The "correct" way to adjust rpms is with the primary by adding or subtracting weight or by using springs with more or less force.

I think maybe he just sucks at riding a snowmobile.

With that, I will tell you what HE (watched me do) did.

Primary: Purple spring (black with purple dot) I honestly can't remember what weights are in it. Its written down at his house. We put in 2 shims, each was to increase engagement by 200 RPM's, I got it engaging at about 4500.

Secondary: Red spring, the twist is set at 9-1, like he said.

Carbs: Everything he said is right. If someone could tell me where the second adjustment screw is, I'd like that. The only screw I could find and know of, is the FUEL screw, on the engine side of the carb.

Rear Suspension: I know the quick adjusters are tight, maybe as tight as they go. Not sure where the straps are at, but I think they are dialed in pretty good.

I've not had a chance to ride this sled on the trails. Just putzing around the yard really. I thought it ran pretty good. I dont know how it backshifts when coming into a corner, what RPM it runs at down the trail and so on. I am not to sure why he wants to go over 90 MPH, but I think he should be smoking this ZRT 600. I mean he even got beat by a bone stock 583 Skidoo. Someone has to have some ideas for me, I mean him, to make his sled come out of the hole quicker and beat these sleds. Bryan, maybes its a weight problem too. :EXER:

Back