shot helix?

vmax4pjg

did i ruin my 38 degree helix ? its from my 93 750 the fiber bushing tollerances seem real tight. let me know if i need a new one thanks

Attachments

• ass 001.JPG
    ass 001.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 6
  • ass 002.JPG
    ass 002.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 4
  • ass 003.JPG
    ass 003.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 6
  • ass 004.JPG
    ass 004.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 3

I DON,T SEE HOW YOU RUINED THAT HELIX ? THOSE HELIX,s HAVE BECOME VERY HARD TO FIND. MAYBE A NEW BUSHING. DID IT PUT A GROVE IN THE HELIX ? 3:16 (yammie tony)

the ramps are fine. no goudges in the outter part of the helix it looks like a coating is wearing away, does that look normal to you? does my helix look ok from the photos i posted? thanks tony

also was there a multi angel on some of the 93 750`s?? i dont think mine is a multi is there a stamp on it some where?

Thats A Custom Helix , Never Stock On A 93, Really Hard To Find For The 750 Secondary. Hauck Was Big On Those And Sold I Believe A 42-39 And A 43-37 Progressive Angle. Their N/a Today. Yours Looks Fine. 3:16 (yammie Tony)

Last edited:
The nickle plating is worn off your helix. Did you change the bushing, it shouldn't be a really tight fit. The helix could just be well used and worn out.

There was a multi-angle helix available from Yamaha for the 93/94 models, it had "8AX 38" casting marks and a "R" die stamped on the back of the helix.

I'd first make sure that you didn't have a binding issue with the bushing and then replace the helix. If you can find a multi-angle it will give you a bit better performance. Like previously post Hauck also custom cut what they referred to as a 43-37, they can probably still cut them if you have a good helix for them to work with.

Last edited:
I have a 93 helix w/ the R stamped on it that I would sell. I got rid of my 93 and have no need for it.

canuck is correct, there was a yamaha progressive in 93-94 (not stock), but hauck had the handle on the 750 cams. which again n/a today. 3:16

ok the plateing is wearing off. it happened in the last 1600 miles. i think grease or something got on the helix because the tolerances are pretty dam good. can i clean that fiber bushing?? it looks like a pain in the keyster to change that big fiber bushing maybe not. should i change that bushing? i dont know. the clutch seemed a little sticky at times when i would try to open it for belt changes and such. i hope i can save this helix. when i mean tight i mean good as far as tollerance specs goes. it moves real nice through the bushing but i bet it could probably use something to make it move just a little bit better. i dont know thats why im here thanks for the help boys.

Last edited:
i wanna monkey around with the clutches on my vmax 4 but at the same time i dont. the stock settings are good as far as running 45-50 mph on nice trails and just having fun. alot of the time thats what we run 45-60 mph on nice trails my rpm is just purrfect i wouldnt wanna loose that or the 10 miles im getting to a gallon usually if i ride like a human.

Last edited:
tell ya what, change your spring in your primary to the yamaha w-w-w. stock weights, that helix in b-3. you will love it. now you have to get tall cover if ya do this. 3:16 (yammie tony)

yes that w-w-w spring i remember that from your clutch set up posted on vmax4.com. that tall cover is a pain in the rear to get from my local guys for some reason.

have to be alittle careful with binding, thats why ya need to change out that cover. dude, srx, viper, sxr, four strokes, dime a dozen those covers. 3:16

vmax4pjg said:
ok the plateing is wearing off. it happened in the last 1600 miles. i think grease or something got on the helix because the tolerances are pretty dam good. can i clean that fiber bushing?? it looks like a pain in the keyster to change that big fiber bushing maybe not. should i change that bushing? i dont know. the clutch seemed a little sticky at times when i would try to open it for belt changes and such. i hope i can save this helix. when i mean tight i mean good as far as tollerance specs goes. it moves real nice through the bushing but i bet it could probably use something to make it move just a little bit better. i dont know thats why im here thanks for the help boys.

Is the bushing in bad condition, post a picture of it. When the 92's were first manufactured they had unplated helixes and Yamaha had all kinds of binding problems with the secondary. One of the many fixes was to plate the helix. I would replace the helix if the plating is worn and ILVmax4 posted that he has an "R" helix that he is willing to sell you. One of the worst things you can do to your secondary is to put any kind of lubrication on the helix other than dry moly lube......but I wouldn't put it on either.

Personally I wouldn't even be considering modifying my primary when I had wear issues with the secondary.

when i took it all apart burnt grease was in there. i think it came off the spline when i over greased it maybe

Attachments

• COON 028.JPG
    COON 028.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 1
  • COON 029.JPG
    COON 029.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 1
  • COON 030.JPG
    COON 030.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 0
  • COON 031.JPG
    COON 031.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 1
Yikes.That sure could use a good cleaning.Instead of throwing that helix away you should try polishing the working surfaces on it first.Polish the shaft on the secondary that the small bushing runs on as well.You can also get away with those white cam buttons,just push them out and reinsert them using the side of them thats not wore off(dont just try spinning them around to the good side as they will break).Hope this is some added help

i wouldnt throw it away even if it was bad. and i wish i could take the easy soulution and just buy another but i dont have it like that. the clutch never binded while i was riding i noticed it by visual inspection. i noticed it looked differant.

Back