Help with installing USB port

SRX500kid

Hey, guys havent been around for awhile but i am finally getting back in to the spirit and craving for snow. still got a bunch of little things to do, but MR.SLED recently posted up the 3br Powersports USB Power Port and thought it was a great idea for charging phones or whatever. i have not ordered one yet but want to. Now my issue is where to tap in for power? i want to mount it next to my hand warmer dile and will probably run the wires up to the handle bars. i found that the PO put the heated shield wires in to the brake light and TORS connectors and it works fine. now what i would like to do is tap in to the brake light wires before the connector running up from the sled. i found 9-13 volts steady at the connection. now is this the best place to do it? or some place else? want to make the connection good so if its good what connectors should i use? thanks shane (sorry for the long description heres a pic of the wires i am talking about)
link to power port: http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/3BRPowersports/3BRPS_Review.htm

IMG_0924_zpsb2117fb8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's funny!! No won't be answering any calls but NYS has a state wide app for the trail systems here. Plus might mount up a gps eventually. Just got to wire it up now.

alswagg said:
Maybe I am gettin old, but please tell me how are you going to answer your phone while snowmobiling?

I've seen cruiser motorcycle riders on their cell phones already.

I would say blue tooth is the easy answer;)

MrSled said:
I would just use the tap that comes with it.
It sounds like that it is his intention to use the tap that comes with it, he just wanted to know which line to tap into.

Years ago, I took out the stator on our old cat while tapping some accessory into an existing line. Since there are so many people with intimate knowledge of these sleds, asking is a good thing. ;)!

horkn said:
It sounds like that it is his intention to use the tap that comes with it, he just wanted to know which line to tap into.

Years ago, I took out the stator on our old cat while tapping some accessory into an existing line. Since there are so many people with intimate knowledge of these sleds, asking is a good thing. ;)!

Usually tap the blue wire that feeds the tail light. If you can get a steady 12 volts...

I have hard wired all our our sleds for permanatly mounted GPS units from Lowrance. I found a plug under the hood, near the coolant hoses which is stable DC voltage. I know it is right above the recoil housing, bound with a few other wires, I can not remember the color though. Al

Thanks for the help guys! I didn't know it came with a connecter as it's not stated it comes with one, but I think I will just tap in to the blue wire for the brake light. Seams to be the easiest place to wire in to. Now can I run my heated shield off this wire too sense it was already taped in to the connecter there? And run both gounds into the other wire sense it is a gound with no voltage. Or will it just over load the wires? Sorry just explaining it is hard! :) got to love wiring!

Correct me if im wrong but with this kit he still has to make sure he is tapping into a DC power source or he can fry his device that he is charging or does this adapter regulate the voltage. The chargers that come with phones, tablets, gps ect reduce and regulate the voltage comming in. Example.... with my garmin i use a cigarette style adapter that i plug the car charger in. The charger reduces the amp down to 1.5 or so. I see in the instructions they tap into the accessory plug which is already DC but how does it regulate the voltage. Or did i miss that in the add.

Last edited:
yup i missed it. I see it reduces it to 2.1a which will be fine for any device but im sure he still has to tap into a DC wire for it to work right?

Brown tach wire, or reverse buzzer connection will be 12V DC just double check when running sled. Not sure about the one alswag mentioned as ive never tested it but sounds like a clean DC also. I know exactly what he's talking about so i will test that one next time i get around to running sleds for fun.

Yeah is he talking about the one down by the coolent lines? the one with three wires to a connecter that is plugged off? I have seen it and always wondred what it was. The blue wire for the tail light is AC Power when I tested it with the volt meter. I thought it would need AC and not dc or run on both. Have to check. Is the brown tach wire to the smother condecer? So I have it narrowed down to three now: blue tail light wire ( AC and heated shild is taped in to already), plugged off connecter by the coolent lines (DC?), and the brown tach wire ( to smother condenser?) thanks for the help guys! Only a electrical rooky but not totaly clueless!

Last edited:
sleddineinar said:
If I'm not mistaken, the brown wire with the pink stripe, down by the coolant line is 12v dc. I think that's the one I connected my Garmin to (I used their hardwire kit).

Yup that should be the other end for the reverse if were talking about same wire. Forgot about that end. And yes the blue Wire is AC for sure. Your heated shield will run off ac or DC it does not care. Just not sure about this cable deal here. MR SLED should know, shoot him a pm and ask. Maybe I'll call the company and ask if I get time.

Back