Help with installing USB port

Just called and left msg, also email'd asking for clarification on how to wire. Will post results when i hear back. Im going to do this also so post back if ya find out.

I just did too I got one back from don. Great costermer sevice! Ok so now I know it needs to be hooked up t a DC power source so that narrows it down to the connecter by coolent lines and the brown wire by the tach. The one on the coolent lines is closer to were I am going to mount it (next to hand warmer control) now just got to find witch of the three has power and where to gound it. Will check later.

Keep us posted how it turns out. Pics would be great also! Anywhere on the frame will be a good ground. When wiring up my HID's i tested just about every bolt on that thing and most were a good ground. Im sure those DC sources are grounded at some point to the main engine ground also making most of the frame good.

if i remember right, the 3 wire caped plug by the recoil side is for the addition of a battery. maybe you should get a electric start kit, then you can just wire it to the battery and save your shoulder. 2 birds with 1 stone.

thats alright i don't mind now e start or reverse on the 500 although i would really like reverse but oh well, i think i will try one wire with 12v DC and cut and splice it in right there.

Little update: fixed the heated shield wireing properly so now it is better. Also tested for DC power at the 3 wire plug near the coolent line and got about a steady 14v on the solid red wire. So pulls that lead out and silicones the hole up in the plug. All that's left now it to get it and wire it up. Sense I got a line that's stopes and goes no where I think I will just solder and shrink wrap the connections.

Cool I'm going to look for that plug. The red is a constant 14v DC, very nice. The adapter I guess doesn't even need a clean DC source. He said it regulates the current. Can handle between 9-18. Can you take a pic of the wire you founds to see if were talking about same wire?

Time for an update!!

well, finally got around to installing the 3BR panel tapp USB to my sled today. i took some pics and gonna walk you all through it for none battery sleds.

1. FIRST OFF select a good place for the usb housing to go. (remember you need at least 2" behind it for clearance.)
IMG_1022.jpg

2.drill out your hole where you want the usb to be. it is preferred to use a 7/8s step drill bit to have a nice clean hole.

3. Install usb in your hole you drilled.

4. Find your power source. on my sled (sxr 500) there is a plug near the coolant lines and the carbs with clean power to tap in to. it is a 3 prong plug with the ends capped off because it is for a battery/ reverse option. take the solid red wire and pull it out of the plug. hint: use some silicone to plug up the hole in the plug for no moisture should get in. with this done cut the connector off and proceed to step 5. sorry for the crappy pic!
IMG_0938.jpg

5. Route your wires Cleanly!!! find a good place to route your wires where there will be not rubbing. preferably along the main harness. make sure to use plenty of zip ties and make sure the fuse is located in a easy place to get to!!!!
IMG_1023.jpgIMG_1024.jpg
6. solder your positive connections. make a in-line solder connection with the red wire from the sled to the red wire from the usb. don't forget the shrink tubing!!!
IMG_1026.jpg

7. Find your ground. i found a good ground near the pull start handle/ rope frame support on the inside of the sled. make sure it is good and clean.\
IMG_1027.jpg

8. next step is to start up the sled and try it out! if you don't have power, make sure you have a good ground and soldered connection is good.
9. don't forget to find a place for the sticker!!!:sled2:
IMG_1029.jpg

i hope this was some what informative to you guys, maybe i can try to get it in the tech section. this basically applies to any DC powered thing you need to run.;)!

Man very nice job. I have not had time to look into this any further. THat wire will also work for guys with electric start as it should be a key'd power source. These cant be direct wired to battery as they have a cont draw and would drain your battery. Once again nice job and we should see about moving this to tech section or a sticky!

What USB port are you using? I have had trouble with corrosion forming on the contacts of the USB audio ports we have in boats. Just asking. Al

Back