Friends new Cat

I've got an open mind, but the cat issues are not limited to turbo models, or ones that have been modded or abused.

I am looking forward to test riding an sr viper this year though.

I think it was snow tech tatty had an article on all the changes Yamaha required to the sleds to meet their standards. Sounds good, and I hope it all goes well

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Looked at the production vipers yesterday when I picked up my new 2014 phazer RTX.Plastic was much better than the prototype but i noticed the idlers wheel bearings are made in taiwan:o|.$14649 plus tax for a sled with this poor quality(even my dealer was question the quality of the vipers).$10700taxes in got me a phazer out the door(two year warranty,$400 View attachment 53041yamabucks,oil change kit,jacket/bag,etc). Here are the pics(got a Japanese snowcross liveries going).By the way not one viper has been sold at my local dealer.Only phazers and apexes:sled1:.Makes you think.....PC130008.jpgPC130012.jpg

Looked at the production vipers yesterday when I picked up my new 2014 phazer RTX.Plastic was much better than the prototype but i noticed the idlers wheel bearings are made in taiwan:o|.$14649 plus tax for a sled with this poor quality(even my dealer was question the quality of the vipers).$10700taxes in got me a phazer out the door(two year warranty,$400 View attachment 53041yamabucks,oil change kit,jacket/bag,etc). Here are the pics(got a Japanese snowcross liveries going).By the way not one viper has been sold at my local dealer.Only phazers and apexes:sled1:.Makes you think.....View attachment 53042View attachment 53043
truely amazing eh!
Time will tell how it all goes,I think a lot of Yami guys will back off the Vipers and stick with the Apex's instead..a few bucks more for an Apex and all Yamaha..but $18,000 for a new sled is insane especially if Winter continues like it has here already..a little snow and major cold..no where to ride yet...almost 2 months lost already out this way and doesn't look good in the long range forecast..enjoy your Phaser...

Snows starting here, about on time for us! You already lost 2 months?

We lose 2 months talking about sleds before we can ride them. :)

That said we are only a couple of days away from our season opening. A good snowstorm is about to hit or area. And I just bought a brand new ariens 2 stage snowblower. Best in the biz....

Snows starting here, about on time for us! You already lost 2 months?

yep!! We got a little snow,but not enough.Last year we were riding full bore first of November already.Can't ride to far,ditch's have snow,but no base at all,digging down to the grass everywhere.Only have a few months now after xmas if snow shows up at all.Looks like we will be in the deep freeze most of the winter which means no snow falling..saving a lot of fuel and oil at least compared to last year.

We lose 2 months talking about sleds before we can ride them. :)

That said we are only a couple of days away from our season opening. A good snowstorm is about to hit or area. And I just bought a brand new ariens 2 stage snowblower. Best in the biz....

I've had several Ariens snowblowers. All pro models right up to a 13/36 power chute control, heated handgrips and they were good blowers. They do not however even compare to a honda. Bought an 11/32 tracked machine and I would never consider an Ariens again. Hondas are simply awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I HAVE to agree on the Honda thing. They make some seriously good equipment!

Dealer down the road from me has sold 2 of the new Vipers in the last week.
We just got a good dump of snow that settled down to about a foot after a couple days. More is falling.
No sign of groomers yet.

truely amazing eh!
Time will tell how it all goes,I think a lot of Yami guys will back off the Vipers and stick with the Apex's instead..a few bucks more for an Apex and all Yamaha..but $18,000 for a new sled is insane especially if Winter continues like it has here already..a little snow and major cold..no where to ride yet...almost 2 months lost already out this way and doesn't look good in the long range forecast..enjoy your Phaser...
Many thanks,everything here is frozen solid with a promise of 30cm of snow tomorrow:sled1:.Hope you guys out there get hit with snow,seems a lot of areas in north America are of to a epic start.My dealer thinks the phazer is gone next year,with only a new mountain Yamaha as the new sled for 2015(viper based).Chris Reid on sled talk basically said it will be 2018 model year before we see an all new 100% Yamaha sled(something to replace the RX/RS series of sleds).That depends on the Yamaha sled department making it that far,or arctic cat not going belly up soon(reports of lost profits,unpaid bills,etc are beening noticed by insiders).

Dealer down the road from me has sold 2 of the new Vipers in the last week.
We just got a good dump of snow that settled down to about a foot after a couple days. More is falling.
No sign of groomers yet.
Every day going to work I pass the local yami dealer in my side of town,they display the new Viper out front of the store,it is there everyday and not sold yet..h'mmm.I am wandering if it is Cat guys buying the new Vipers because of the engine alone...

There has been so many vipers sold here on this latest snowstorm that the mayer Rob Ford has asked that the empty shipping contaioners be donated to toronto for the homless people!

The crates will be placed over top of building heating grades in a T formation stacking 4 high,What i found interisting is the holes that are drilled to let the heat go thru to the top ones will not be drilled larger on the bottom and than smaller on top like you would think to be the most efficent .....but the quite oppisite smaller on the bottom so the person on the bottom does not get cooked and more heat for the person on top!

NICE.........

Last edited:
Well I took the plunge and left my two smoker in favor of a new viper. Trails are a couple days away from opening but have rd up and down my road and in fields around my house. All I can say is WOW!!! Sled just blast threw the couple ft of powder we have. Great power. Cant wait to get on trail. I like what you said super 1c. Education!!! Hate it when people make statements without nessesarily having facts. Yes Arctic cats have certainly had their share of issues. Especially with fuel inj,clutches,motors. Probably why they teamed up with yammy. Yammy has always had issues making a truely good riding, good handling sled. I know I know gonna here sh*t for that. But how much you boys have in your yami's with different skis,shocks, suspensions. So I think this partnering is only gonna make each company's products better. I certainly hope thats the case since I own one lol. I know their a lot of money but I look at it this way. When I bought my 97sx I had it 8 yrs. Think I paid like 6-7k for it. Lot of money then just like 12k alot of money now. So should more than likely have this sled at least that long if not longer.so all evens out in my mind. I'll keep you guys posted on how the viper works out if you want?? Now what to do with my 97 that has way more money and time into it than it should. Oh well let some buddys ride it I guess.

I've had several Ariens snowblowers. All pro models right up to a 13/36 power chute control, heated handgrips and they were good blowers. They do not however even compare to a honda. Bought an 11/32 tracked machine and I would never consider an Ariens again. Hondas are simply awesome.

The only Honda's that are good are ridiculously over priced. Those smaller ones are OK, for what they are. I stand by my Wisconsin made ariens based on past experiences.

The only Honda's that are good are ridiculously over priced. Those smaller ones are OK, for what they are. I stand by my Wisconsin made ariens based on past experiences.

That's your decision. I used Ariens for several years and the degradation in quality in the past 6 years or so has turned me off them completely. They used to be pretty good now they aren't. I use my honda snowblower commercially, I do 30 driveways every storm and have never once in 4 years had a breakdown. With an average of 12 storms a year multiplied by 30 driveways you get a lot of use. 1320 driveways to be fairly accurate. In my neck of the woods using it 12 times a year would constitute a years use. So simple math would say that I have 110 years of use on my honda already. Saying they are just ok is an understatement and more than likely not based on experience.

I agree again, my gravely z mower (owned by ariens) just isn't what it should be. Bought it new. But I digress... Having my winter tires mounted today!

Back