High Milage Yamahas and How many miles on your sled ?

ParkRanger29

I just purchased a 2004 Yamaha SXV 700 Mountain with 6,673 miles on it. I was concerned with the high mileage at first until doing some research and found out that Yamaha 2 strokes seem to last forever if properly maintained. The guy I bought it from was meticulous in maintaining the sled and stored it in a warm shop at all times when not riding. Anyhow, how many miles do you have on your Yamaha? and what kind of life expectancy do you think my new sled will have? I plan on keeping up on the maintenance of my new sled, I haven't ridden in 10 years and my last sled was a 1998 ZR 440 Piped and Clutched. Glad to be back in the Game :)

"Park Rangers Do It In The Woods"

Viper.jpg

Mine lost the crank at 9500 miles, but many last longer, especially the red heads. It feels so weird to have a crank rebuilt and install it into an engine with original pistons and cylinders. I did re-ring it. The other brands Ive run and worked on would be on their 3rd top end including new cylinders with those miles! This website is a great resource with great people. Welcome back.

P.S. Watch your oil pump cable adjustment.

well I do have an uncle whose vk540II has been showing 12500km for the last 13 years and it has been used every weekend hard breaking trail and hauling sleighs. still original motor, as in it has never ever been apart, but it is finally getting due for a set of rings as it is not opereating the fuel pump as well at idle any more.

Mine only has under 6000 but I have a family friend that has 2 vipers. One has 19,000 and one has 24,000 and that was the last time we talked which was about 2 years ago. I think he gave them top ends around 10,000 miles. He rides hard and A LOT! Retired and nothing to do! :)

over 10,000 miles on my 02 SRX and nearly 15,000 km's on my 01 SXR600.Both have never left me stranded or even broke down anywhere and I ride them pretty hard as well..

8000 miles on my venture, but it has recalled pistons in it when yamaha had piston issues from the factory. The pistons were changed when it was nearly new, as it was under warranty, but I have no idea of how many miles she had on her when that happened.

Welcome back to snowmobiling, and you've found the best site for Yamaha sleds!

What should i look out for on oil pump cable. What kind of an adjustments would i have to make?

If you don't have the factory owners manual, they are available for download from Yamaha, it will explain the oil pump cable adjustment, as well as other adjustments for the sled. Before adjusting the oil pump cable, make sure your idle speed and throttle cable are adjusted first:

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/service/viewmanuals/viewmanuals.aspx?ls=sport

love these 'High Mileage' examples.

looking at the manual they suggest changing plugs every 2k or season.

My current sled, 2010 apexLTX GT has 6540 miles ( Just broke in)
1990 phazer 2 18,900 miles ( Still running when sold)
99 SRX 700 had 14,256 miles -Sold with blown crank to XB21
2002 Viper ER 15,821 - sold to NF for parts blown pistons and probally crank
2003 RX1 ER 12,700 traded for current sled (still running)
I wouldnt own any other sled for engine reliabilty for sure!

Last edited:
man some of these miles on yamaha sleds is pretty damn good.I can't imagine Doo and Cat getting 1/4 of that.Yamaha knows motors...

It's funny when you see an ad that says "6,000 miles but only 3,000 on a new motor". Hmmm, does that mean it's due for another new motor? I wonder how many engine failures are maintenance related. 75%?

Back