High Milage Yamahas and How many miles on your sled ?

7900 miles on a 97SX. Did pistons, rings, and outer crank bearings at 7500 miles just for a piece of mind. Ran fine when I did it but found one piston skirt with a small crack in it.

Just shy of 15,000 miles on my sx-r with the original crank! I've done the top end for peace of mind, but I've never had a problem with this sled!

my exciter shows 18k, but it hasnt worked with me or the prior owner so it could be well higher.

Bought basically the same sled from a well off older man who had a pair of these sleds. Perfect shape. He had the habit of starting them up all summer long and let them run for awhile. Sounds good, but it caused some rust to develope on the crank bearing, and I lost it last winter at around 6500 miles. Totally rebuilt it, had the crank rebuilt, pinned and welded. Machinest said he has seen a ton of cranks come thru, and he says people get carried away with summer maint. Too easy to get condensation in the engine..Said to start it up, get it hot, choke it until it dies to get gas/oil in the crankcase, pull plugs, spray cylinders down, put plugs back in and leave the goddamn thing alone until fall. Top the tank off with fresh gas, then drain it out in the fall, put the gas in the plow truck, and put in fresh. (been doing this for years, no troubles) I love this engine, sounds really cool, plenty of snap, and my son got reallly good gas mileage with it.You will love this sled,....good luck.

Spray cylinders down with what

I have used tri flow, kroil,wd-40, and regular 2 stroke oil. Tri flow and wd-40 are easy, just put the long nozzel on the spray tip,stick in in the spark plug hole and give each cylinder a good squirt. Turn the engine over a few times and put the plugs in. I have never had a problem with anything, or startups in the fall, with any sled I have ever owned. They do smoke for a bit when they first light off however. I always store my toys in a dry barn also. Tarps, trailers,temp shelters, pallets, etc, just arent the same. I stick a wad of steel wool in the exhaust to keep the squirrels out, and mothballs in old socks around the engine and intake, tunnel bags, etc, and throw the cover on. Varmints wont come near the sled all summer. .

Last edited:
I had trouble with my speedo for a few years. so no exact number, but I would estimate I have 10000 miles on my 98 Vmax 700sx & I have around 8000 on a 90 Phazer II.

Last edited:
Hey folks! My first sled ive ever owned! 1997 Vmax SX700 Triple (red head?) with over 28,000KM on it! The speedo doesn't work but that doesnt bother me! Seems to run real good and FAST! Although I dont really have anything to compare it to! Fun fun fun!

1997 sx 700 piped....20000 + miles and only replaced a piston or two,..BELIEVE....

Back