2014 Viper Report

yami1

So there was another thread that started about some dudes cat being a piece of junk and turned into a bit of a viper bash. I posted that I bought a 2014 viper and if some were interested i would give some reports. Well some of you were, so here is first one. First off its a red rtx. No mods as of yet. Big enough hole in my wallet. Lol. Anyways im in wny and its been snowing for about 10 days straight. Easily 36- 60'' of snow throughout wny. (To bad its gonna rain next 4 days and wreck all of this awesome base). But trails opened yesterday so thought id go break some trails and see what this pup could do. What a difference 8" more of track makes (129" over a 121"). This thing is a absolute beast in powder. Got stuck only once and that was in a spot that im not sh*tty you was at least 5 ft deep and I didnt have the momentum that I needed. Otherwise probably would have got threw. Some trails were broke and not groomed so were pretty bumpy. Again very impressive. I was a bit leery of the fox airs but really like these shocks. Sled rides like a dream. Bit stiff at moment but need to break in. But you can just attack the bumps. Actually sled wants you to ride it that way. Transition from sitting to standing is like putting on your underwear. Easy peasy. Hand warmers and thumb warmers plenty warm. Power wise thing seems killer. Hard to gauge acceleration when riding in powder all day. But did do a short run down a snowy rd and it gets up to 75 in a hurry. (thats as fast as i went). Cant wait to have some groomed trails to run on to see how she handles but so far very impressed. Did suck alot of gas but again was in powder the whole day. So far very impressed!!!!:letitsnow

Staggs if you have the blessing of ur misses then you better pull the trigger!! lol. Ive been on four stroke side alot and dont seem to be many issues being reported. Then again think some issues guys have are more self inflicted than machine problem. Anyways go for it.. When i bought my 97 sx brand new the first time I rode it I was in love. My 05 vector ahhh not so much. Thought I could make better but didnt. This viper is like that sx. Just loved it more and more as i rode it yesterday.

Perfect! Thank you for the report and keep them coming! I'm really interested in your thought's after railing the trails and..... just wait 'till that motor's broken in and you have full power!!!!

What made you go with the RTX? I'm saving for a base model myself, it looks like the best value (standard heated seat and rear storage). How's the wind protection with the low windshield?

Last edited:
I love the report!

I am very interested in this season for the new viper and how it does, any issues and how they are handled.

Keep reporting back, I'll make sure to keep reading.

I will keep reports coming for sure. Might be awhile were losing all the beautiful snow we had do to rain and mild temps. (figures now that trails are open). To answer a few of your questions. The windsheild on rtx doesnt provide much if any protection. Gonna look into a mid height one here in near future. Reason I chose rtx was mainly color. Love that red with black tunnel. Every yami I have ever owned was red so kept the tradition going lol. Also wanted to try the fox air shocks. So far like them alot. I did test ride a black one didnt try heated seat but here its pretty awesome. Also that windsheild provided good protection although i didnt like the look of it. So like I said as soon as we get snow again Ill get some reports to you guys

sounds great so far, thanks for posting! same issue with us here in NH, 2 decent storms, good snow cover, and now a weekend of rain and mild temps :(

So ride number two last night on the new viper. I put a medium windsheild on it. Still debating on if I like it or not . Obviously more protected but Kinda looks a little goofy. Did about 70 some miles on varying conditions. Powder, hard pack. nothing groomed as of yet. Like I said before thing just rides sweet. Bit firm but how I like it. As its breaking in can feel the motor make more power. Definetley a sweet powerplant. And personally for me and trails I ride is plenty of motor. So far no issues. Guys on fourstroke side were talking about the chain being loose from factory. Did check that out and was out of adjustment quite a bit. Will say the 4 in carbides on this thing suck. So went and got some 6in today. Only other complaint is the headlights on this thing are not that bright. Bit disappointed on that one. My 05 vector was like having the sun on ur hood. Eventually try some different bulbs or maybe hids. But all in all very happy so far.

We priced out a Red RTX as well today at Peacocks Ltd. $11,400.00 was still way to much for us. I also priced out a Polaris 800 $9,400.00 The older chassie of the Polaris is really time proven. However the Viper sure looks sweet. Maybe someday we can afford it. Al

So didnt get to ride as much as I wanted this weekend do to having to work on sat. But got out fri night, sat night and sun afternoon. Put on another 150 miles so has 350ish on it . Still loving this sled. Figured out my headlight issue in the fact that it was way out of adjustment. Supposed to be a dealer prep thing that obviously didnt get done. Friday night was first night on normal groomed trails so when I put on high beams It was pointing in the trees. Lol!!! So adjusted per manual and per my liking and 100% better. As far as ride and handling. Friday night was pushing in corners on fresh groomed trail. If couple sleds had been down it it wasnt as bad but still a push. As far as bump handling bit stiff so this is what I did. Put 6in woodys on, softened up floats , softened 1/4 inch out of front shock spring, took transfer blocks out, pulled up straps one hole, and put springs on soft. Totally different sled. Trails were about same condition sat night except it was 20degrees warmer( around 8F on fri night 28 on sat night).So snow was kinda mealy. But sled just railed in corners. Transfer was better without the blocks. Was just alot of fun. My buddy on his 800 skidont was impressed. Was leaving him behind in trails. He was busting my butt bout how much I stand now while riding. I said "cause I can and its comfortable". lol. Sunday was warm to warm like 38F. Snow was well You know how snow is at 38. Sled still performed awesome. Its defintley a get up and ride it sled. I tried the just cruising thing with it. Yeah it rides a bit stiff. But get up on it and ride it like you mean it and thats what this thing responds to. What it was made for. So I cant stop smiling riding the thing. No issues knock on wood. Guess for those on fence this is my two cents. If your agressive rider your gonna love this sled. If your like me sometimes I am others Im not.and understand that when ur puttin its gonna be a bit stiff. Your gonna love this sled. If you just wanna cruise and want plush well then get the base viper, vector or apex. Sitting position from apex to viper is two totally different worlds also. Took my buddies apex for rip the other day. Hated it after being on my viper. But I like sitting up on it. Viper alot like riding a sport quad. What it reminds me of anyways. Just a few hundred pounds heavier. lol. Hope this helps some of you guys.

you said you didn't like the vector as much when you bought it like the sx and the viper.......why?

The vector in 2005 was just way to heavy feeling. I remember raising seat a few inches puting risers on it. Made it a little more fun and comfortable to ride but was just such a lug to ride hard. Vector did ride nice and loved the motor but could never really get it to stick in corners either. The sx was just plain a$$ fun to ride. Cut through corners and the sound and power of a triple. Whats not to like about that!!! The sx I have now actually has a vector skid in it. So much better ride and the weight transfer is ridiciulous!!! What Yamaha should have put in them sleds back then. ( I know 8yrs different in technology) This viper is kinda like that sx. Great power, handling n ride. Here's a bit of an example I think you all can relate to. You know how your coming up on a series of bigger bumps and you want to do your best jeremy magrath impression and clear all three. My sx you could do that with a little blip of throttle. Vector no way. To heavy. Viper oh yeah no problem. Throttle responce is absolutley instant. And has that light feel. Could use a little more weight transfer but think i have decent at moment. Just my way of thinking to is how much transfer are you realisticly gonna get out of a 129in track hanging out the back. Here again its all about your riding style. Really believe that you wanna just cruise some groomed trails your better off with base viper,vector or apex. Also if you prefer that sitting style that the vector and apex provide. You wanna sit up on it and get with it you will love viper rtx. Not that you cant just sit and ride a viper but just way for fun to beat the snot out of this thing. I know at 44 i cant go crazy all day on this thing but still having fun trying lol!!!

Heres a pic of the old and the new!!! Took the old one out today for some field riding. still a fun sled. All our snow will be gone tomorrow AGAIN!!! Man been getting it just cant keep it. Really begining to suck!!!

I hear you. we have our January thaw coming this week and we had a bad pre-thaw week so it's not good locally.

Keep up with your reports, I like hearing from people who can respect both sides of the fence.

Well they both are a hoot to ride thats for sure. I will definetly keep reports coming. Rather have people get facts than some one just make opinions on what they hear. So much bad info out there its pretty unbelievable.

Staggs, guessing you are having the same weather we are in the lakes region of NH. I just got our feeder trail groomed up perfect. Just in time for rain. Frustrating for sure. I hate mud

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

hey yami1, have you raced then two against each other? a buddy of mine bought a new viper this year. 141 inch track, and really loves it. cant tell how fast it is yet cause it was in break in mode. i watched him go through some damn deep snow with it with no trouble.

No havnt raced them yet. We get snow again want to do that. Got a buddy bout same size as me so want to see. That old sx is quite a runner and with the vector skid the weight transfer is ridiculous. I think it be close race for 500 ft. Thats just my seat in the pants feel anyway. My viper is 129 and cant believe how much snow it goes through. Was really impressed by that.

Back