2014 Viper Report

I found a good way to get this one by wife...rather than tell her you want to buy a new sled try this one......"I think I am going to update my sled". Its a bit softer approach. last year on the way to UP my buddy stopped at a dealer and bought a new apex. never did tell his wife. yikes. she still doesn't know. made for some good stories as we were warming up in local establishments.

I went out to get a Christmas tree last month and came home with a new SR Viper. Still can't believe it, it's the first new sled I've ever bought.

That is absolutley not correct!!!!!! This is why I started this thread so that facts are out there. This is not a cat chaincase!! I repeat not a cat chaincase!!!!! Because yamaha wanted there clutches on the viper the jackshaft was redesigned hence so was the chaincase. Also because yami wanted there chain to be manually adjusted the gears and such are different. I have a list of things at home that dealer gave me that says all the changes yamaha made to this sled. It was alot!!! C if I can find it and somehow figure out how to get it on here. Hood and some of the plastics were also changed. Also the mapping is Yamaha. Alot of info saying that its cat mapping. That isnt correct either. Maybe a employee of cat programmed the mapping into sled but its yamaha mapping. Will say that the muffler is arctic cat says so stamped right on it.LOL!! Chassis is also all cat. Believe me I have never been a cat fan. However!! They have pretty much always been a good riding and handling sled. Seems to work for Tucker or is he just that gifted?? All I can say is this sled rocks. I think its a absolute rip to ride. Hope we get some more damn snow so i can ride it more.

The December snowtech listed it all as well. There is some reinforcements to the chassis also

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Sorry I thought I read on the other side that Viper owners could use the cat chaincase gasket if their yamaha dealer didn't have one.

Just a little update for those who care. Well now that lake erie is frozen getting any snow to ride on has been a challenge. This has been such a disappointing winter. So much snow to start and all melted. Then got a good bit back and melted again. Now We have maybe six to 12 in but have had high winds so fields are pretty scarce. Anyway went for a 60 miler on sun. Trails were rough to say the least. But was riding. Like I keep saying this thing is just fun!!! It handles anything and everything ive thrown at it. I have just over 400 miles on it now. No issues at all. Have just changed oil and going to adjust chain again just to see. These things are kinda of a pia but all the new sleds are a pia to work on. Its really not terrible and now done should be good for rest of year. Like I keep saying the grin on my face stays on from the time I get on till the time I get off. My buddy asked the other night if I was ever gonna let him ride it. I was like yeah when i quit having so much fun on it. Guess He's never going to get to ride it . LOL. So you gents thinking of the jump. Dont be scared!! Its all good!!

My buddy asked the other night if I was ever gonna let him ride it. I was like yeah when i quit having so much fun on it. Guess He's never going to get to ride it .

Thats a good sign of a great sled! Great reports! Keep us posted!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I havnt been able to really see what top speed I can get yet. Not really any place around my area where you can really string it out. Only place would be chautauqua lake and havnt been able to get down that way. I do know it gets up to 70 really damn fast. I dont really care about top speed anyway. the rush you get from zero up to 60 or 70 is just fun. Lots of torque!!! Like I keep saying just cant get enough of this thing. Wish mother nature would cooperate and give some snow. Sounds like next week.gonna get some. Keep my fingers crossed and keep you all updated.

I would think you would want more miles on it before looking for top end. Sounds like a sweet sled though!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Yami:

I've enjoyed reading your reports. Just out of curiosity, what was your last 2 stroke Yamaha?

My last two stroker is the one i still have 97 sx 700. Should be some photos of it at the beginning of this thread. I put alot of time and money into that old girl the last couple years. Still a fun sled. Been hoping to get some snow so my buddies could ride it but hasnt worked out that way. Sounds like you guys are having a winter of all winters out there in Wisconsin

Well Finally got some white gold last week. Bout a foot. Riding is fantastic. Been riding the viper for three days straight. Again have rode in varying conditions. Thursday night was on groomed and ungroomed conditions. Was riding with my two friends that were on skidoo 800 and 600. I decided to see if I could lose them in some stuttery trail condtions with a couple inches of fresh snow. I was gone. We got to our watering hole and my buddy is like, must be that longer track (129in)makes it ride better. Im like ahh dah yeah!! Lol That and its a YAMAHA!! Rest of weekend has been on groomed trail with some bumpage but not bad. What can i say but all smiles. When in fresh snow can be bit squirrely going into corners. Bit of push. But think it more conditions of snow and trail. By buddies on there skidoos were complaing of same issues. Also icey corners can be a bit interesting. Theres alot of ski pressure on this puppy. So when you go into icey corner the *** end kinda wants to come around on ya. But guess, what sled isnt a bit crazy in icey corners!! As far as the groomed trail handling this thing is just a peach. Still stiff as far as ride but I like it. When it gets really rough is when it shines. I see some guys on 4stroke side are getting different valving done. I dont know people kinda amaze. You buy a rough trail sled but then revalve to make plusher. Kinda boggles my mind but why its a free country. Have about 650 ish on it and no issues. Gas mileage hasnt been stellar. 13-14ish. But around here your in and out of gas constantly so kinda hard to get good mileage. Maybe after few more miles it will loosen up more. I really dont know what else to say bout this thing anymore so be ending this thread I guess. Its a great sled and look forward to see what else yammi comes out with in the coming years. They hit a home run with this one in my opinion.

sounds good! thanks for all the updates, love hearing about it. hope Yamaha can keep up the good work with the cat partnership

Back