Any cable cord cutters here??

super1c

Super Moderator
Hi guys, we have charter cable and its out of hand for price. I have 2 houses with a total of 12 tv's. My bill was a bit much but i love my tv and sports but now that charter is going all digital and every tv needs a box it will be crazy to continue. And i refuse to spend the same amount of money to only watch one tv per house. What are you "cord cutters" out there using. I will keep my internet and go with netflix, hulu ect... But what about sports? Is anyone using roku or chromecast? Im shaking just thinking about not having my fox sports detroit for my tigers, LOL! The lions are a local tv station so they are fine. I have till feb 11th then im off the grid!!

Digital is a nightmare.
I wish there was something here other than anal rapists at Charter. Satellite sucks because every time a gnat shits on the dish you lose reception. Makes me sick for what I pay Charter every month.

I cut the cable aboutr a year ago. Been using direct TV, and uverse for internet. I've had direct TV in the past when I lived in Maine, and then and now, reception is great. Only on very very heavy storms do I have any reception issues. When I cut the came from time Warner, I used a pair of rabbit ears, and the main local channels had BETTER reception than the 120 dollars a month time warner. I am an and sports watcher, motor and traditional sports, so I only went with rabbit ears for a couple months, then to satellite.

Now after year 1, direct TV does go up in rate, but I'm hoping that uverse tv comes to my neighborhood, in the next few months and I can go to them after my 2 years with dtv. I have no issue with swapping services every 2 years to ensure I'm not getting raped. Some people don't want to go through the hassle. But when you look at the cost savings, it's hard to ignore.

As it happens I installed for Charter for 7 years.....I actually worked for ACI for Charter before going to work for Miss Dig. I am not familiar with the other options you mentioned BUT I can re-wire your house! FWIW I believe the newer digital TVs will accept the all digital signal with out a cable box.

Now after year 1, direct TV does go up in rate, but I'm hoping that uverse tv comes to my neighborhood, in the next few months and I can go to them after my 2 years with dtv. I have no issue with swapping services every 2 years to ensure I'm not getting raped. Some people don't want to go through the hassle. But when you look at the cost savings, it's hard to ignore.

After your contract is up call DTV and tell them your switching to cable. They will lower your subscription price to keep you.

We have direct Tv and Cable for our internet. We have had this for years, the cost is high but we are used to it. Signal is good on Sat as well. I was amazed that my 20 yo Son did not need any TV reception. He watches everything on his computer somehow. His lap top is attached to a 50" LED TV. Somehow he gets nearly everything at no charge. How????

As it happens I installed for Charter for 7 years.....I actually worked for ACI for Charter before going to work for Miss Dig. I am not familiar with the other options you mentioned BUT I can re-wire your house! FWIW I believe the newer digital TVs will accept the all digital signal with out a cable box.

Man jesse i wish that were true about the new tv's. Charter is now able to scramble their digital signal so that even the new tv's wont work without their box. I cant believe they are doing this but it is what it is. I will just have to adjust, but if you know a trick or two let me know!!

Man jesse i wish that were true about the new tv's. Charter is now able to scramble their digital signal so that even the new tv's wont work without their box. I cant believe they are doing this but it is what it is. I will just have to adjust, but if you know a trick or two let me know!!

Maybe its an area or system thing but I set up a few TVs at Boyne mountain that are working with out the box. Its goofy because they are channeled 10.2,10.3, 10.4 Etc. My girlfriends parents only have basic (2-13 or something) and they get all sorts of .x channels. Mom works for the school and dad is a youth pastor......Both were FREAKING out thinking they were stealing cable. Have you played with the settings on the TV?

It is a area by area thing. Gaylord is not hit yet but my place in freeland goes all digital feb11. Just being proactive up here. Its coming sooner or later here also. They said all of Michigan by end of 2014.

Last edited:
We went all digital a year or so ago. the only TV I watch in the garage is the games on the networks while I'm working on junk. Usually I just have the the radio playing. Paying for a box that might get a few hours of use a week sucks.

We have direct Tv and Cable for our internet. We have had this for years, the cost is high but we are used to it. Signal is good on Sat as well. I was amazed that my 20 yo Son did not need any TV reception. He watches everything on his computer somehow. His lap top is attached to a 50" LED TV. Somehow he gets nearly everything at no charge. How????
find out how and let us all know.The Sat company here are charging way to much,it keeps going up.Seems like there is nothing good to watch unless you pay them even more.I would like to try and set up the computer to my TV and try to get channels for next to nothing.Netflex doesn't give current TV viewing.We are paying over $80 a month and there is really nothing good to watch..we are getting shafted here buy BIG Sat. companies.

I don't think the is any way to get current TV shows right away Via internet of any kind. There always some delay.

I know a few people that use HULU (free) and HULU...PLUS (not free but is cheap) This is via the computer, either can watch on PC or TV with proper set up.

Our family shares one satellite subscription. Basically just keep adding receivers to the plan and get dishes for each house that wants satellite. Bring the receiver over hook it up and bam! We have 4 households on one bill now. Makes it cheap enough to be worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dropped cable and only miss sports. Have a Netflix and hulu plus account, and stream through my PC to my TV. Instant $100 a month back in my pocket. $1200 a year is nothing to scoff at!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Just got shutdown today by charter and Gaylord march 4th just got letter yesterday. Here is what I did so far. I can't live without my sports yet so I canceled cable in Gaylord and kept it here. I only have one box and the extra free one. I then bought a sling box and I am able to stream TV to anywhere I want. I tried it in Gaylord this past weekend and it worked great. So at least I'm down to just one plan for now. Will try to wean off completely as streaming sports services get better.

Hulu sucks in my opinion. Very limited what they offer. Paying for commercials rubbed me the wrong way too.

I am stuck with satellite where I am. I am a sports lover or it would be gone. I am a chicagoland transplant. Had Dish installed down there. Moved it my self to the UP and get all local Chicago channels.
This includes sports net. Bears, Hawks, Whitesox...

Getting it all on the internet..... There are ways. It is not necessarily legal. Seems some one is always streaming live sports to the internet. No guarantees tho. May not be high def either.
MLB does offer cheap prices on their on their web site viewing half way thru the season. But then they block local channels. There are even ways around that. I used a cheap proxy service. Picked Washington for the State I appeared to be connecting from. Could get all of the games I wanted.

You notice that some on line services now expect you to log in with your cable or satellite provider info now? Its such bs.

Back