Tech FAQ Area!!!

It's apparent no one at the proper forum is able to give sound advice/diagnostics and that's why i came to the real professionals.

Last edited:

How often are crank seals changed on sxr700? Do they fail all at once? Sled ran fine 1st time out only every since it cuts out at 6000 rpm or higher when warmed up. Is this possibly a crank seal?

FOUND PROBLEM. Fuel screen in all carbs under needle valve plugged. didn't allow full flow at high rpm.

Thanks all for the assistance.

Darting Vmax 500

There is some really great info on this site! Thank you for all the work you guys do!! I have a 94 Vmax that darts pretty bad and I read the specs and technical info on the page but does the spacer go toward the front or the rear of the ski?

cmharcou said:
There is some really great info on this site! Thank you for all the work you guys do!! I have a 94 Vmax that darts pretty bad and I read the specs and technical info on the page but does the spacer go toward the front or the rear of the ski?
Are you talking the ski shim mod? or???

That mod is not really for/affective on the older VM's like yours just the newer Proaction chasses.

try adjusting your skis with a little "toe out" adjustment should help.

Witch way to install power valves,,bevel up or down??

powervalve001.png

powervalve002.png

Hi there I am new the the Sled world...I just recently bought a 1997 yamaha vmax 700 sx. It has aftermarket exhaust and when i start it up it smokes a good bit and continues? i know its a 2 cycle and normally does but does it go away. Is there anything I need to Look for or at .i was told it may need rings it has 6400miles on it and I forgot to mention when i start it up the oil light in the dash flickers and then stays on when im on throttle

Last edited:
Welcome to a great sport and a great site!!!

A few initial recommendations come to mind . . .
  1. Go to www.yamaha-motor.com and dowload a copy of the Owner Manual for you model. Read it completely and you will get some useful basic information.
  2. Whenever you have specific questions, use the Search feature on here as there are a boatload of old threads that can help you.
  3. Learn about what is in the Tech Pages on this site. Lots of good info.
  4. For questions like these it is usually a good idea to start a new thread - look for a posting guidelines thread.
Now for your current questions

Yes, 2 strokes smoke, especially when the weather is warmer and when they intially start up. Sleds are jetted for cold temps (denser air)

Be sure to check your oil level in the oil tank - it may simply need to be refilled. You will have to add oil every time you refuel or at least every other time.

Happy Reading !!!

Last edited:
How do I raise the front of my 97 sx 700 triple to get higher than it is stock. I bought a sled with the rear brought up but the front plows pretty badly. I have kyb shocks in the front and it rakes like a muscle car. Pretty much sucks. What are my options to
Raise this thing to not plow?

redhead questions

running a 99 vmax 700,did head shim,mild polishing no porting,v-force reeds,air box mod,power inc pipes,and a pile of clutching,have one little problem,cant keep it idling on its own,runs great when full choke,drop to half choke,runs great,flick choke off and i runs for 30 seconds and drops a cyllinder,flip half choke and it cleans out,shut off choke and 30 seconds later drop a cylinder,etc etc,flip half choke and ride it!! goes like a raped ape ntill you stop and let it idle down than it drops a cylinder again,did plug chop and im alittle rich which i dont mind,low idle lean??thanks

SBRacing said:
running a 99 vmax 700,did head shim,mild polishing no porting,v-force reeds,air box mod,power inc pipes,and a pile of clutching,have one little problem,cant keep it idling on its own,runs great when full choke,drop to half choke,runs great,flick choke off and i runs for 30 seconds and drops a cyllinder,flip half choke and it cleans out,shut off choke and 30 seconds later drop a cylinder,etc etc,flip half choke and ride it!! goes like a raped ape ntill you stop and let it idle down than it drops a cylinder again,did plug chop and im alittle rich which i dont mind,low idle lean??thanks

Please post your question in the Vmax Section:

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Back