Sxr500 7500 rpm hesitation??

SRX500kid

The past two rides my sled has been hesitating and not getting passed 7500 rmp quite a lot but not all the time. It sounds as if it hits rev limiter but no. Sound like it sputters. I noticed quite a bit of blow back through the exhaust doughnut going to the can. Which would explain the sputtering but not sure it would cause it to top out at 7500. Carbs are clean but haven't looked at plugs. If I come to a compleat stop and give her it will run good up to 8000 and do it for a while but riding the trail it would just get to the 75 mark and bounce. Any ideas?

iPhone using the dreaded Crapatalk

Nope stock. I have seen the most around 8100 on take off. It usually gets up and goes but with it hesitating it would only get up to around 60. It's a 2000. Like to figure it out. It ls just annoying as hell. Lol.

Did 40 miles today and still had the problem but I smelled gas and the vent tube came off the top of the tank. Couldn't put it back on on the trail so just came home. Got to get it back on but I don't think it wouldn't cause the hesitation.

It seams like it makes it's power at that rpm though. Never touched the clutches. Always thought 8000 was peak. That's what it's always been. Is it clutching or motor? It seams like 8100 is a little much but it also seams to sputter in mid rang till it hits the power shift. Could my clutch springs worn out? Engagement is around 4000 and looks like it should be 3800

Last edited:
Were the carbs cleaned this year? Maybe something came loose in the carbs?? Could be in the clutching. did the carbs come out of sync?? things to look at.

I can't tell. It was serviced at our local yamy dealer and they replaced needles and seats and bowl gaskets. It wasn't doing this at the beginning of the year. The only thing I have done to it was adjusted the throttle cable because it was pretty sloppy. It still has some play in it.

I fixed the vent line today and cleaned my clutch surfaces and belt also. Pulled the plugs and it's running rich with a very slight cardboard color. It's always seam to be that way. Visually everything looked ok. Plug wires seam a little loose but that can't be it.

throw a new primary spring at it and see what happens. they do get weaker over time. should only be $15.00 or so.

Ya I just need to there stock so they must be getting warn. Just got to get a clutch puller. Now that I'm thinking about it. I had tors act up on me a while ago but it has stopped. Is there any possible way tors could kick in at 7500 rmp mark and hold it there. It sounds like a electrical problem.

Don't need a puller to change the primary spring out. Just remove the cover evenly so you don't screw up the bushing and the spring will be right there. Good chance to see how the movable sheave is sliding on the shaft plus check for play as well. TORS would kick in at very low rpm's and prevent the sled from going anywhere. How are your plug caps. If they're old, it's an easy cheap upgrade and they can cause problems when they don't have the correct resistance.

Last edited:
Ok I'll order some new springs but were would I find some caps. Did 50 miles today and when I got in to the pow and had to pin it it sucked. Sounded like it was gona blow. But when it got up to 8000 like normal the sled really pulled. It just puzzles me how it happens like 3/4 of the time but not all the time.
EDIT: I did happen to notice that my left plug cap was warn from it looks like the speedo wires and such it's war about half way through the cap. Would that be the problem?

Last edited:
Well I can't find the lb05ema on the web any were so I'll probably order the tb05ema. And a new primary spring.

If you're ordering the caps online you'll probably pay more in shipping than they're worth. Any NAPA or other autoparts store should carry them. IF you can swing it financially, order both the primary and secondary springs... especially if you have alot of miles on the originals. If not, go with the primary first.

Last edited:
Ok that makes more sense. The sled has like 5250 miles on it so it's probably best to do both. I just really hope these will fix it. Spent 500 bucks at the dealer for preseason matinence but I know they wouldn't have done any thing but what they were paid to do.

Back