2002 vmax 700 backfiring when you restart, but not all the time

sgauthier

I've got an 02 700 that backfires upon restart once in a while.we let it idle down before turning it off but it still seems to do it. I make sure he doesn't touch the throttle just in case that was causing it. Wondering if anyone has any idea what could cause that and how to fix it.

I have not had this happen but I seem to recall a thread or two on it earlier this winter. Did you run a search for your issue here in the Vmax section, as well as the SRX section even though the sleds are different, there is a lot more activity over there and many times the info can apply directly or at least set you in a good direction.

Have the carbs been properly cleaned and adjusted this season? It's not the answer to all the running issues out there, but clean carbs sure fixes a lot of them. On the flipside, there are a lot of engines burning down this winter, and a dirty/plugged carb is one of the reasons.

Is it full blown back firing or just a pop like a firecracker going off? The crack is somewhat normal if your idle is fat it will let a little bit of fuel collect in the pipe then the next time you start it up it will light that fuel up and bang it goes. It's pretty common I can do it unintentionally by leaving the kill switch down and pulling the sled over 5 or 6 times then realizing why it didn't start. Next pull, bang and away she goes.

whenever my sled has backfired in the past, cleaning the carbs did the trick. even when they were cleaned a month and a half before.

backwoods, i think that's what this one is doing. letting fuel into the pipes and backfiring. when i get a chance i will take the carbs back off and go thru them all again. i'll check the jetting as well since i bought this used so not sure what has been done to it. anyone know what the pilots and mains shoud be on this sled? PTO, MIDDLE & MAG side.

thanks for the help

Back