SXR 700 what is it?

Rockhoyle

Hey, I recently purchased a bad *** 1999 SXR 700 for $950. Hella deal. 3200 miles, Hauck clutch, mbrp can, 1.25" rip saw track. It's beautiful sled and beast. Anyway I noticed a couple things wrong with it the other day. First the track started to vibrate and felt like it was slipping when you'd take off. Track tension looked good so then checked chain casing. Found out that the bearing on end of drive shaft was blown out. So easy fix. But I don't know how to adjust the track tension to help move shaft back to get bearing to slide in. I've looked everywhere and can't figure out how to adjust tension. Most sleds have tensioning bolt behind rear wheels but mine has nothing of the sort.
2nd I noticed coolant was milky. Hoping it's just head gasket. Also easy fix. Hopefully that's all it is. So I looked up part number on yamaha part site but when I type in the year (99) nothing comes up for SXR. Only srx. I know they are similar but when I look up gasket it shows the head as being 3 pieces. Mine is one solid head across all 3 jugs and then 3 seperate gaskets for the jugs. Idk. But if I type in 2000 for year a sx 700 pops up. And it looks like my top of motor. The one solid head with 3 individual head gaskets. Please help. I don't understand. ,maybe I'm just an idiot. Lol. This is my first yami and plan on buying the sx viper next!!!! I can't wait. I switched over from ski doo.

Did this come from the Kalkaska area by chance? You should be able to look threw the square holes (windows) in the track and see nut/adjuster on the end of each rail. You need to loosen the axle bolts (sides) to get axle to move. Any pics? Oh your other question, should look something like this in parts catalogue "VX700SXB Vmax SX" or "Sx 700R". For what its worth most part from any 1999 red head 700 (698 actually) will fit it.

Welcome! For the track tension the adjusters are on the inside if the rail at the back. You get to them through the track windows. You have to loosen the axle bolt first. not sure about the HG but it but did you look under sx 700? They were all the same head and gasket.

Thank you very much. So u actually loosen bolts by going through the square holes in the track. And yes from kalkaska area. Do u know the sled?? Or previous owner!? And also am I on the right track of trying to release the track tension to help with drive bearing?

Thank you very much. So u actually loosen bolts by going through the square holes in the track. And yes from kalkaska area. Do u know the sled?? Or previous owner!? And also am I on the right track of trying to release the track tension to help with drive bearing?

Yes threw the holes, yes on right track. Went and looked at sled as it was originally advertised as an 2001 SRX, got a little pissed when I got there and it wasn't a SRX at all. Good looking sled over all and I actually offered him a grand for it. Said he was sticking to his $1200 price. Good buy at $950, the Ohlins shocks are a nice bonus too! The SX is used on numerous years/models. The R part on the end is for the longer travel suspension.

Yeah. He wasn't really wanting to take $950 but I'm glad he did. I actually got it for my son. I'm looking to get myself a 04 sx viper ESR. But it's all the way down in ohio. But it's good deal low miles and electric start and reverse (ESR). Well thanks for the help. I'll let u know how it goes. One more question. I really haven't paid much attention (I broke my foot so I'm only out there a lil bit at a time until I need to get back off it. ) but I don't remember seeing a coolant reservoir. I know I need to flush out all the milky coolant. Is there an easy way? Thanks again.

either a 2000 or 2001,if there isnt bubbles in the overflow when its running i would look into the water pump impeller gaskets

either a 2000 or 2001,if there isnt bubbles in the overflow when its running i would look into the water pump impeller gaskets

Now that you mention that I remember that the SxR were only made in 2000/2001. Its has a 1998 manufacture date making it a 1999 model. Sled has ZERO decals on it, I would guess a SX Vmax.

If the sled is a 1999, it is a Vmax SX 700, not a Vmax SXR 700, nor an SRX 700.
In 2000, the Vmax SX 700 became the Vmax SXR 700, and as noted by the Devil this was with the addition of the long travel suspension, as the 1999 model was still short travel like the 1997 & 1998 Vmax SX sleds.

The SRX 700 is a completely different model, with some interchange with the SX/SXR models but not as much as you may be thinking, especially in regard to the engine.

It can be confusing, especially to a newcomer, with all the S's and X's and R's and such, and there are even some T's and C's and DX's and ER's if you look hard enough over the years, but you had a little bit of this at SkiDoo as well.

An easy way to think of it, is that all of the liquid cooled 2-stroke sleds in this era (1997-into the early 2000's) can be divided into 2 general chassis/frame types:
1) Vmax, which includes a bunch of different models including the Mountain and Venture sleds. All of these are either twin cylinder single pipe engines or triple cylinder single pipe engines from the factory.
2) SRX, which include 2 models, the SRX 600 of 1998-1999, and the SRX 700 of 1998-2002. Both of them are triple cylinder triple pipe powervalved engines, very different from the single pipe triples.

The Viper came out in 2002 and is also related, but for your sled ID purposes above it doesn't apply. Although if you do have a 1999 SX you could install a Viper rear suspension to get more travel if you still have the stock rear suspension.

Do you mean because of the milky coolant. You think it's something other than head gasket? Please explain a little more if you could DSC577. I don't know much but always wanting to learn. The internet is a great teacher!! Lol

hopefully its headgaskets but theres a shaft that turns the oil pump and water pump impeller,on this shaft there is a oil seal,ceramic seal and a washer on the bolt that i changed along with green loctite on the splines,my symptons were dirty coolant in the overflow tank along with the level kept rising,i changed them along with doing the headgaskets after searching on here and seeing it was a common issue,use the search box,lots of posts and info about it

There are no oil passages in the head of a 2 stroke to get the typical oil/coolant mix of a blown head gasket on say an automotive engine. There is a bronze gear on the crank that drives a cross shaft in the lower case of the engine that drives the oil pump on the back side and the water pump on the front side. The oiling system supplies oil to the fuel pump for automixing and also supplies oil to the case for the bearings. The oil will flood the cavity for the drive shaft then flood out to the bearings on each side of it. If the lip seal is bad, it would be possible to get a little oil into your coolant, but it shouldn't. There is a pump weep hole and that is open to the shaft. On one side is the ceramic seal, then a gap and the oil seal to the case on the other. An oil seal should produce oil out the weep hole, unless it was plugged and pushing past the seal. I don't know what the pump puts out for pressure, but the cooling system is 14-16 lbs so the oil pressure would have to be higher to be pushing into the water side

Being as I met the previous owner I myself wouldn't put it past the guy to have accidently put oil into the cooling system. I would flush the coolant a time or two before tearing into any major repair. Like I said before the previous owner thought it was a 01 SRX and tried to argue that it was with me. Often time when we buy a 15 year old sled its a mystery figuring what and why previous owners did this or that.

Ok. Thank you very much. U guys are awesome with the great advice and knowledge! I will check out and let ya know what the problem was when I'm able to get back out there and work on it!!

Being as I met the previous owner I myself wouldn't put it past the guy to have accidently put oil into the cooling system. I would flush the coolant a time or two before tearing into any major repair. Like I said before the previous owner thought it was a 01 SRX and tried to argue that it was with me. Often time when we buy a 15 year old sled its a mystery figuring what and why previous owners did this or that.

x2 on this!!! A coolant flush is cheap and easy then see what happens. Any aluminum safe 50/50 mix will work just fine, or mix your own per yamaha spec at 60/40.

So backwoods, are you saying 100% that a bad head gasket on a snowmobile will not let oil mix with my coolant to make it milky?? So changing head gasket won't fix my problem? I'm sorry if I'm asking waaaayyyyyy too many questions but I'm trying to learn to do it myself and I feel like I'm being annoying!! Lol

Devilin and super1c. My son did say he checked fluids last week and the coolant was NOT milky looked real good! But he just checked cap on top of motor in middle of hose. There's a fill cap or check cap right in center of hose that comes outta top of motor. Idk what it's called!

The coolant overflow should be back attached to the oil reservoir. This is where you can add coolant if needed and a better place to check the coolant. I would get a turkey baster and grab a good sample. Even get one of those cheap testers from napa and see what it looks like. You will see bubbling at idle and the level will rise in the reservoir when sled is running if its a head gasket. Backwoods sounds on the money with this one. Also how do your plugs look? Do they looked washed (coolant will also leak into the cylinder washing the plugs clean).

Let me ask a question or two. Where are you seeing milky coolant? In the overflow tank only? Or in the cap that's in the middle of the hose? If you are only seeing it in the overflow tank and none under the cap I wouldn't be so alarmed. This tank is designed to let air out of system and would act as a natural trap for anything that would float on top of coolant (oil). Backwoods is correct that milky coolant isnt so much a sign of head gasket on a two stroke motor (sled) as it is in a 4 stroke motor (newer sled/car/truck). This due to with head gasket leaking lets around 50:1 fuel (gas and oil) and lots of compressed air creating the bubbles he mentioned. If you are only finding the milky-ness in the overflow tank and none under the cap I would flush out that tank really well as see how long it takes to come back. The coolant over flow and oil tank I believe are one piece molded plastic, I would try NOT to break the conecction in the oil system as then you would need to bleed the oil pump.

Last edited:

Back