SXR 700 what is it?

I am seeing the milky coolant in the cap in the middle of the hose. We also noticed the milky coolant on the plug in the 3rd cylinder.(which would be drivers side if there was a drivers side lol). But the other two plugs look normal. I had my buddy that has a little more knowledge, look at it. He's never really messed around with snowmobiles but a lot of work on Harley's, dirt bikes and motorcycles. He said its looks like your head gasket on that 3rd cylinder, but just to replace them all while you're doing it. So guys, does this sound right? I appreciate any and all advice. This forum is great!! I love it!! Thanks

Sounds about right with milky/funky plug. For what its worth the head gasket covers all 3 cylinders, you couldn't just change one even if you wanted to. What your calling #3 is actually #1. Common lingo/jargon is PTO (clutch side/#1) Center #2 (obvious) and Mag #3 (magneto/stator)

Are you thinking just the head gasket then? Or more?? Because I thought backwoods said that it's impossible for a faulty head gasket on a snowmobile to make the coolant and oil mix?!!???

There is no oil there to Milkshake with the coolant! No oil in the head, it's not a 4 stoke engine with valves/cams to be oiled and oil returned causing the opportunity of contamination. You could have dirty coolant if combustion gases are getting in by that gasket and have been doing so for a while. Take some coolant out of the system and let it settle in a clear bottle, something like a water bottle and then look at it.

You may have a compound problem of the PO putting oil in the overflow tank and a blown head gasket, but not milky coolant because of a head gasket.

Gotcha. For what it's worth if it even means anything. My son said he checked the coolant 5 days prior and it said it was not milky at all. Looked very normal!!! And he didn't ride much maybe 100 miles.

I would pull the head off and go from there. I am thinking you need to for sure do head gasket and flush coolant. Due to plug with coolant on it suggesting head gasket leaking. If after flush coolant becomes milky again I would look into the oil pump drive/seals mentioned before, Cannot give details on this aspect as I have yet to tear into a red head for this pump drive seal issue. "milky coolant" can mean different things to different people. What your seeing could be caused by combustion gasses (gas,oil,compression) leaking into coolant system. "milky coolant" you would see in a car/truck is from same type head gasket leak but is 100% straight motor oil and usually takes a quart or more of motor oil to cause "milky coolant". Unless its ben severely leaking for quite a while the trace amount of injection oil wont show up in coolant as it does in a car/truck. Are you seeing bubbles in coolant? Is sled over heating? Used any amount of coolant?

K I'm going to try to tear into this weekend. I already picked up parts for drive bearing for inside chain case. It hasn't been over heating or losing coolant. For the bubbling I don't know. I'll get back with you guys this weekend after I start tearing apart. Thanks again.

Number 1, a blown head gasket can cause a milky looking plug in a cylinder, number two. you can replace just the one head gasket in that sled, as there are a set of three not just one big one that covers all three . however if your gonna tear into it i would def. replace all three I would replace the head gaskets first and see if your problem goes away. I went thru this same situation with my sx....It was the head gasket!

Yes. It is 3 seperate gaskets. Not just one big one!! I'm going to try the gaskets and figure out to clean out and flush cooling system and then refill and try that!!! Thanks

So i finished with the drive bearing in the chain case and also replaced head gaskets and flushed out system. The coolant was so milky and thick it was actually clogging up in system. I flushed with hot water and then followed it with air to push it out. Took it for a couple rides up and down the road and it drove and felt pretty smooth. Opened up coolant cap in hose and could see coolant flowing pretty good. Gonna put sum miles on it today and will let you guys know how it runs. Hopefully gaskets fixed it. Thanks again for ALL the help!!!

Just an update on my sled with thick milky coolant. Since I've replaced head gaskets I have put about 400 miles on it and it's still running great and coolant is still clear. Hope it stays like that!! Thanks again for the help guys!!

Back