?'s on long travel, head gasket mod

mes882

How much does long traveling an sx 700 affect its handling?? Here is why I am asking.

I bought a second 97 sx700 with 2800 miles runs great. It has the stock suspension. It has the comoplast wide plastic skies. Probably 2-3 inches wider then stock. It handles very nice.

3 years ago I bought a 97 sx700. It has plastic skies that are about as wide as the factory ones. It also has 02 viper shocks on it Front and back. Long traveled. Always thought it road ok. I do get some ski lift in the corners like its kinda top heavy. But the handling between the two is night and day.

The one with the factory set up handles and turn way better. Would that be the difference in the skies? Difference in the long travel? What if I just long traveled the rear and not the front?? What if I put the stock shocks back on the front and left the rear long traveled??

IMG_2176.JPG

One has the head gasket mod. How much compression do you gain with that?? The fuel around here is 87 octane. Even the 10% ethanol now.

Last edited:

I did this to my sx, it does affect the handling somewhat but more than makes up for it in the ride comfort.I wouldn't do the head gasket mod if you cant run higher octane gas.

I was thinking about putting in a new head gasket. So I did not have head gasket mod in the one.

did you try just longer shock in the rear skid only??

My long traveled 97 does act a little tippy depending on the snow conditions but the ride is so much better! I think a few factors play into it though ... I do have the limiter let out a bit on the m-10 skid and ca pros with 8" carbides?

I was thinking about putting in a new head gasket. So I did not have head gasket mod in the one.did you try just longer shock in the rear skid only??
I put the viper shocks in the rear, and lengthen the limiter straps, kept the front shocks stock

I put the viper shocks in the rear, and lengthen the limiter straps, kept the front shocks stock

Maybe I should try that. right now I have viper shocks in the front. I would guess Putting the stock shocks back on the front would probably lower it a little and bring back some of the handling.

Back