SXR 600 low compression and low miles

Soggydog

Hi,

I was getting my sled (2001 SXR600) ready for the summer and for the heck of it decided to check the compression. All 3 cylinders were exactly the same and all at 100 psi. The weird thing is it runs great and only has 1800 miles on it. The engine has never been apart, all stock. The engine is completely dry and clean, no signs of any leaks of the head or base gaskets.

When I did the test, the engine was slightly warm and I had the throttle wide open and pulled about 7 times, until the gauge stopped going up.

I checked my pressure gauge at work and it is right on.

Should I just keep riding it (next winter) or what?

It seems to use alot of oil, could the rings be sticky? Is there a way to check that? Maybe WD40 in cylinders and repeat test?

Any ideas?

Jim in MN

sounds like the rings are a bit sticky. just needs a good hard run to clean it out an get it up to temp.

what are you calling a lot of oil? it should use roughly 1 quart per tank of gas on average.

removing oil from the rings will make it test lower. add 1 tsp of 2 stroke oil for testing if you add anything. that motor is barely broken in.

oh god run that thing! as said above its barley broke in!! it is probably just your tester, try another if you want. the important thing is that they are the same so your okay and try doing it cold with a little bit of oil

Compression is a pretty general info kind of number. I would do a leak down test before you tear anything apart. How to write up in tech section. Higher your elevation = lower your comp numbers as well.

Just me.......I'd put @ 2 oz. of ATF in each hole. That will soften anything up in the combustion chamber. Pull it over slowly w/ the key off. Let it sit a couple of months just like that. Fire it up and blow the cobs out of it. Make a decision from there.

I am back. I just tried putting a few squirts of oil (sae 30) in the cylinders and repeating the test. All cylinders went up about 3 psi, not much of a change. I will try to borrow another tester this weekend and see what happens. I'll will keep you all posted. Thanks

I wish i could take all comp testers and remove the numbers and just put a marker on them. Kinda like a red line marker on a race car tack. The number is useless as a whole. THe important part is that they all match. YOU ARE FINE. The only true way to test for bad rings is a leak down ect..... If one cylinder was even a hair bad it would show in the comp test and yours are fine, all even. RUN IT!!!!!!! JUst do the test and recheck the same way everytime. Any change and you know you have a issue.

Back