136 or 144

A couple of bucks

VIP Member
Alright everyone,
I will be long tracking my daughters 96 XT6 this summer.
Should I go w/ a 136 or a 144. And why or why not. 136 will probably be an Intense and a 144 would more than likely be a Crossover. Would like your .02 on the 1.5 tracks as well.

I went looking on Google for a LTed XT. Found the following picture. Is this a 136 or 144.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

From the looks of the rail extensions I would say that is a 144.

I think it depends on what kind of riding your daughter will be doing. If it is going to be mostly trail riding I would go 136. If it is mainly boondocking I would say go 144.

Sounds like the same type of riding we do around here. I would go 144 then, it will really help to keep you up on top of that deep snow in the fields, especially since I don't think you will be able to get more than a 1.5" lug to work on that sled unless you do quite a bit of modding.

If I was going 1.5" I would maybe try this track for boondocking... http://www.ebay.com/itm/144-x-15-x-1-5-Camoplast-Crossover-Snowmobile-Track-/321382815553

Or even just a standard paddle track. Around here you always see guys selling the 1 1/4 ripsaws that come with their sleds because they replace them with paddle tracks so they can get through the fields without constantly spinning.

Going to a 1.5 requires me to drop to 8 tooth drivers which I already have. I would be able to fit up to a track that is a 1.6 , absolutely no larger though. There is a cobra in a 1.6 in 144 length. But the dern thing doesn't come in a 2.52 pitch. So that will more than likely put me a a Crossover.
Sacksrx..... Can you comment on this track. It's the same as in your link.

I've run a Crossover for over 15,000 miles , 1 in 3 different sleds. Just installed a new one before this season in my 11 Apex XTX. Never ran a Cobra, so can't really comment on it. The Crossover has great bite in all directions. Packed, loose, wet or dry, the conditions don't seem to affect traction with this track.

I haven't tried the crossover yet, but I need a new one for next winter and like the looks of it. Thanks for the input Viper Dave, it's reassuring to hear you had good results with it.

Alright everyone,
I will be long tracking my daughters 96 XT6 this summer.
Should I go w/ a 136 or a 144. And why or why not. 136 will probably be an Intense and a 144 would more than likely be a Crossover. Would like your .02 on the 1.5 tracks as well.

I went looking on Google for a LTed XT. Found the following picture. Is this a 136 or 144.

I would go with a 144in. I long tracked my viper to a 144 before winter and loved it this season. Floats through the snow really good besides the front which I have the stock skis. For a track I have a 1.25in ripsaw that is studded. Works great for where I ride. I was going to go with a 1.5in but got the ripsaw as a new take off for $300. Can't beat that deal. I saw port yamaha still has them for sale.

How much different in width is 94-96 Vmax tunnel from the trailing arm sleds? I thought they were pretty close, but I never got around to measuring before I sold my Vmax XT. I know I put a newer snow flap on it without trimming it. SO it must be close. I wonder if you could just use a tunnel extension from a trailing arm sled.

If I did go with a 144, is there anything I can do or buy that alleviates steering effort. You loosen the straps to lighten the steering...... Right? I have contracted a severe case of CRS.

I did the 144" to my 95 Vmax4 couple years ago. Came with M10 121" in it. I made the rail extensions, tunnel extension was just some aluminum bent with 90 degree sides. Made a extended grab bar with 1" x 1/2" tube and 1" rd. on the back. Cut and trimmed the plastic cover to fit over the extension. Then took the rear cooler cut it at the bend, milled it to lay flat, then welded it back up. Bought a used 144" x 15 x 1" of a AC 2up. Looks like the hacksaw pattern. The only thing I should have done was install anti-rachets. The only machine that shares the XT cooler is the 97 Vmax4 so you'll probably have to customize one.

If you need I could post some pics. Don't have any on this computer.

Couple pics

Here are a couple pics. The rail extensions where probably the most complicated thing to do. Thankfully at the time we could use our CNC's at work after hours for government jobs.

Attachments

• Picture 161.jpg
    Picture 161.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Picture 168.jpg
    Picture 168.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 189.jpg
    Picture 189.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 19
94-96 tunnels are a little over 1" wider than the t/a sleds. you need the extension and cooler from an st model from those years or start fabbing. my local guy averages about $75 for the extensions, short of the corner welds. i havent had to re-work a cooler yet, but it cant be that bad for someone with the right qualifications. shop around, you may find a cooler, but the st's are rare. stat in the fluff and theres enough cooling via the under tunnel exchangers without the rear cooler.

i always use drop brackets when extending those years. i make my own. not much drop, just enough to keep things clearing under rotation along with keeping the geometry in check. dont overload the front end, not much for adjustment up there. you may be surprised at how much you can let the rear out. i make provisional holes in the drops in 1/2" increments to fine tune.

fabricate your own extension, rear bumper, etc. much less headache, trust me. baron did an excellent job on his. i teeter between round and square stock for the bumper. lately round is winning. much more comfy on the hands.

Back